• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone shooting WT 7.62x40?

Megahoser

Shogun of the Higher Steppes
Minuteman
I have been toying with the idea of getting an upper in 7.62x40...but there have been very few posts on the site regarding it. Anyone shooting it? I'd love to get better use out of all the 5.56 brass I've got lying around...so, 300 fireball & blackout are both options too. Any feedback on these would be appreciated.

Re: Anyone shooting WT 7.62x40?

Sounds like a remake of the 30-223TC that was used in the 70's for Metallic Silhouette with Contender pistols.

hmmm...Hadn't heard of that one. I like the idea of a setup that I can run .30 in my AR-15 with readily available .223 brass. I am toying with running a 1in10" twist to try to stabilize both supersonic and subsonic rounds. .300 fireball, AAC Blackout & Whisper are all of interest to me. I just want to ascertain which is the best all-around and least problematic when it comes to reshaping/trimming the brass and availability of quality dies. So far I like the sound of the 7.62x40...but I'm far from an expert when it comes to niche rounds and would like to hear from someone more experienced with the range of loads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like a remake of the 30-223TC that was used in the 70's for Metallic Silhouette with Contender pistols. </div></div>

Jerry
Wasn't it also called the 30 apache ?

I had an old Cartridges of the World way back in the day that I thought listed it....can't find it anymore.... got any references??

It's amazing what people come up with and call "new" ! HA!

thanks
wes in AZ

I have to dust off my copy of 'Cartridges of the World' to be sure, but it sounds familiar.

Yes, looking at P.O. Ackley book it is amazing the 'new' cartridges that were previously wildcatted in the 1950's and 1960's. The .260 for example is listed in his book among others.

Good luck

Jerry

Everything old is new again...

I've yet to see a single one in person, on or off of a range. I'd hazard a guess that there's vanishingly few of them in the wild right now. A quick search on GB doesn't show a single one of them available for sale, period.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Yes, looking at P.O. Ackley book it is amazing the 'new' cartridges that were previously wildcatted in the 1950's and 1960's. The .260 for example is listed in his book among others.
</div></div>

Yep , it's amusing to hear people 'discovering' things like the 260 , 6.5X284 , all of the WSM's..... when all they needed to do was pull out Ackley's vol I and II... they are all there !

I did find some refs to the 30 Apache [30-223TC and 30TC]...also the 30-223 Ingram

I have started looking at this caliber for a "non-standard" AR build I want to do sometime in the future. It's basically between this and the 6.8. Big positive to me is the ability to use the same brass as my standard 5.56 ARs.

Yes it is the 30 Apache. I would imagine loosing a lot of .223 cases, trying to expand the necks.

good luck

Jerry