• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Anyone Spent Time Behind an Apex Rival Yet?

Stra8shot

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2019
As the title states, has anyone spent enough time behind one to form a solid opinion yet?

Not enough time but did get to play around with one on a fellow competitors 22 for just a few minutes. It was nice. Wondering where to buy and what street price will be. Don’t know why I didn’t ask the guy but now I’m wishing I would have at least gathered some intel on the thing.

I know a guy who's sponsored by them and got to take a peek though his. Turrets are great, reticle is good, definitely needs a throw lever, especially in the cold. Seems great. Find me a bad scope for more than $1800.

Problem with them that I see so far, without ever even handling one, is that the only people I know with one are those on their shooting team. Which means the opinions of people with them are completely useless. And they have assembled quite the “shooting team” before most have even seen one. Sorry but I will never value the opinion of a sponsored shooter (not trying to offend, but whether you admit it or not, their opinion is skewed).

Would love to know the opinion of actual customers who’ve bought one and got some time behind it.

The company does seem to be out at matches and getting shooter wants and feedback (so I’ve heard), so that’s a good sign. Would be very curious to handle one and see what the hype is all about.

Reactions: JulianD and Tperry
I've ordered one and should have it in hand this Wednesday / Thursday. Once I get some initial impressions on it, I'll follow up.

Reactions: Simonsza1
I'm happy with mine but it's also my most expensive scope. It's better than my Bushnell DMR II and Ares ETR (better glass, better turrets and a clean reticle). I also enjoy the large zoom range and the generous eyebox.

I know the scope is made by JOL in Japan.

Tracking is spot on so far.

Received my optic yesterday, and got it mounted in my Era Tac adjustable mount.

While it may not matter to everyone, their packaging overall is absolutely fantastic, both from a visual perspective and execution The scope itself is well protected, all of the individual components i.e. sunshade, battery, allen key etc. are all individually bagged and placed such that nothing could bounce around or cause damage during shipping. It came with a nice a sticker and lens cloth as well, which was a nice touch.

The manual is very well laid out, and not overloaded with tons of words. It clearly states what you need to know about the optic, and not a ton more, which I greatly appreciate.

While the standard flip covers that come with the scope are great, and perfectly serviceable, I went ahead and got the Tenebraex objective and eye piece caps as well. Anyone who's used them will generally agree they are one of, if not the best scope caps/covers you can get. I'm very happy I got them at the same time.

Onto the scope. The overall execution of the optic is outstanding. I work in the industry, primarily as a gunsmith, and as such I tend to pay very close attention to the details. I could not find a single thing that visually stood out as being off, or otherwise incorrect. All of the MIL hashmarks on both the windage and elevation turrets lined up perfectly with the index arrow on the turret housing - I have had other optics in this approx price range with slight misalignment of the hash marks relative to the index arrow and while it's not the end of the world, it does matter if you're competing and you want to confirm your turret is exactly where you turned it to.

As for the turrets, the clicks are audible, and very well pronounced. Not so much that it feels like you need to crank on the turret to adjust it, but each click feels nice and sharp, and leaves no question about how many clicks you've move the turret. Not sure what else to say, but the turrets are fantastic.

I have yet to zero the optic on my rifle, but setting the zero stop appears to be extremely straight forward. The optic did come out of the box mechanically zeroed in the middle of both the elevation and windage.

The diopter, like on most optics in this price range is nice and fast to adjust - enough tension that it wont move out of position, but easily adjusted for your eye.

Having the integrated throw lever is a really nice touch, and there is an included small wedge to fill the gap in the power adjustment ring if you choose to remove the throw lever. I truthfully thought it was a little gimmicky that the throw lever had holes through it to view your elevation turret, but once I got the scope mounted on a rifle, they did work as advertised, and you could look directly "through" the throw lever and still see your elevation turret numbers/index point. Again, this was a nice little touch. I will say, due to the range of magnification, the throw lever at minimum mag (4x) or at maximum mag (32 x), may collide with your bolt handle depending on if your gun is left or right handed, and how low the scope is mounted. I don't particularly consider this a failure of the design, insofar that the adjustment ring needs to rotate a sizeable mount left and right to swing through the complete magnification range, but it is worth noting. I also suspect this might be more common on 2 lug actions than short throw actions with a 3 lug design.

The CLR reticle is very well done. I have primarily used the JVCR reticle from USO, and some additional time behind the Horus H59 reticle. I haven no issues with the Horus reticles, but the CLR, much like the JVCR reticle are not too cluttered while having enough useable information to make corrections while shooting. I almost never dial for wind, and I suspect the CLR reticle is going to be equally perfect in that regard.

I wont comment on my perceptions of the optical clarity as of yet because I've only had a chance to mess around with the scope at night inside, but thus far I don't foresee having any concerns when it comes to how bright and clear this optic is.

Hope my above info helps others out if they've been looking at the Apex Rival (or their other new products released @ ShotShow). I'm extremely happy with the scope overall, and I think in this price bracket Apex has done an outstanding job of putting all the features in the scope you could want, while still being fairly priced.

Reactions: Simonsza1
Problem with them that I see so far, without ever even handling one, is that the only people I know with one are those on their shooting team. Which means the opinions of people with them are completely useless. And they have assembled quite the “shooting team” before most have even seen one. Sorry but I will never value the opinion of a sponsored shooter (not trying to offend, but whether you admit it or not, their opinion is skewed).

Would love to know the opinion of actual customers who’ve bought one and got some time behind it.

The company does seem to be out at matches and getting shooter wants and feedback (so I’ve heard), so that’s a good sign. Would be very curious to handle one and see what the hype is all about.
I believe that for the folks that they selected for their shooting team, they gave them an opportunity to exit out of deal within 30 days of receiving the optic.

Probably a smart idea, because you probably don't want people repping your brand if they don't love it.
We need less "Instagram" influencers in this sport, so that's probably the right way to go.

• Love
Reactions: Stag556
Thank you much on reviews. I'm on fence- but can see getting one. Ty

Buy the Blackhound version of this scope for half the price next time they have a 45% off or 55% off sale for around $900.00. Maybe next sale might be even cheaper. Trend was January 2023 45% off then May 55% off. Riton owns Blackhound and they are also known to sell for half price or less like their Riton X7 Conquer version of this scope for $649.99. All of them are made at Japan Optical JOL.

A reviewer had the Blackhound version and Apex Rival at the same time and swore they were identical scopes.

I'd personally feel really sick after knowing how insanely marked up they really are while the other brand labels of this same scope sells them for less than half the price.

The $1979.00 Riton X7 Conquer version ($649.99 last recent sale at Scopelist and EuroOptic) has already proven to be unreliable.

Last edited:
Ty sir for all the info. I'll look at black hound scopes. I had an athlon cronus and lived the reticle. Now i have nx8 4-32x50 and think the center dot is to big imo

Reactions: Scopeye
Buy the Blackhound version of this scope for half the price next time they have a 45% off or 55% off sale for around $900.00. Maybe next sale might be even cheaper. Trend was January 2023 45% off then May 55% off. Riton owns Blackhound and they are also known to sell for half price or less like their Riton X7 Conquer version of this scope for $649.99. Allade at Japan Optical JOL.

A reviewer had the Blackhound version and Apex Rival at the same time and swore they were identical scopes.

I'd personally feel really sick after knowing how insanely marked up they really are while the other brand labels of this same scope sells them for less than half the price.

The $1979.00 Riton X7 Conquer version ($649.99 last recent sale at Scopelist and EuroOptic) has already proven to be unreliable.
Wow, don't believe everything you read on the internet folks.
Go ahead and buy something for $650 then, go nuts. LOL

Wow, don't believe everything you read on the internet folks.
Go ahead and buy something for $650 then, go nuts. LOL
Yup the Japan JOL made Riton X7 Conquer 4-32x56 version (that brand's top of the line $1979.00 flagship) was indeed recently on sale for $649.99 at EuroOptic and Scopelist. They show out of stock and backorder ok.

The reviewer was Epic Arms formerly known as Affordable Optics and rifle reviews who indeed had both the Apex Rival and Blackhound branded version 4-32x56 scopes at the same time and swore they were literally identical looking scopes during the time he had both tested side by side. The only slight difference is the turret travel per revolution and the Blackhound labeled version goes on sale for 45% to 55% off based on recent months sales. The Apex Rival and Blackhound version are relatively new but the Riton X7 Conquer version has already been known to be unreliable and there's several members on this Hide forum that can attest to it's crappiness as well.

You might want to do a little more research before trusting an anonymous reviewer.
The reviewer isn't anonymous. He goes by Epic Arms formerly known as Affordable Optics and rifle reviews. He had both the Apex Rival and Blackhound 4-32x56 version at the same time and swore they were literally identical.

Ty sir for all the info. I'll look at black hound scopes. I had an athlon cronus and lived the reticle. Now i have nx8 4-32x50 and think the center dot is to big imo
You should order the Blackhound version next time it goes on half price sale and also buy the Apex Rival at the same time since it seems as though they have a money back guarantee and see for yourself if they're the same scope just for kicks that's what I'd do if I were in the market for a JOL made scope which I refuse to buy (not even the $649.99 Riton X7 Conquer version) due to reliability concerns and prefer LOW manufactured scopes. I'd rather buy more Chinese made Athlon Ares BTR Gen 2 4.5-27x50s for $565.49 from Walmart online instead of a JOL made scope at any price. I already own a Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 then bought my first Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27x50 and after comparing the Athlon to the NX8, I bought two more Ares BTRs instead of another NF NX8 if that alone says anything and I paid way more than the current $565.49 for each of them.

The reviewer isn't anonymous. He goes by Epic Arms formerly known as Affordable Optics and rifle reviews. He had both the Apex Rival and Blackhound 4-32x56 version at the same time and swore they were literally identical.
The issue there is that dude is bought and paid for. His reviews aren’t 100% honest and he’s not shooter. He’s just trying to make money and get free shit. He has a pretty crappy name in Canada from the suppliers and dealers for
Some of the stuff he’s pulled. Look at his list of the best prs scopes and you tell me how much you trust his review.

Yeah any idiot can make a Youtube page and make themselves look important. Doesn't mean you should trust them blindly.

Reactions: Matt_3479
To everyone else's point, Alex is not a reputable source of any information, especially for higher-end anything (scopes, rifles, etc.). The guy is literally a laughing stock in the PRS crowd in Canada. He shot one match for the first time ever (this year), and had no idea about anything. Plus, he's all about making money, so much so that he's the Discovery Optics "dealer" in Canada now, he imports them and sells on his website. He makes money off Blackhound with his affiliate code, so he pushes them and Discovery really hard, like stupid hard.

As for JOL, the Rival was made years after the X7 and the Blackhound. Just because they came out of the same factory doesn't mean that they're the same scope, or have the same internals. One famous and very reputable optics reviewer / expert said that "this is the best JOL-manufactured scope he'd seen" while at SHOT, and that was the pre-production model in 2022.

You can have a Toyota Tercel and an Infinity Q60 come out of the same factory in Japan, but they're not the same vehicle and don't have the same internals, and the quality will be substantially different. Just saying.

Last edited:
I've got an Apex Rival and I really like it. Glass is as good or better than my Cronus gen 2.
The Reticle is simple and easy to use.
Throw Lever and sunshade included is great, I like to add those options.
Diopter is very easy to get dialed in.
eyebox is forgiving.

Couple little things for me I wish the indicator mark for turret was just a line instead of a triangle. would make turrets easier to read.
The second rev indicator starts to come up 0.5 mil early.
The clicks are good but not amazing could be more definitive, if you are going slow they are very good but if you crank on it fast is when they feel weird. I like click on the Cronus gen 2 better.

I believe most of my qualms would be rectified by 10 mil/rev turrets which they said they should be releasing later this year.

I've got an Apex Rival and I really like it. Glass is as good or better than my Cronus gen 2.
The Reticle is simple and easy to use.
Throw Lever and sunshade included is great, I like to add those options.
Diopter is very easy to get dialed in.
eyebox is forgiving.

Couple little things for me I wish the indicator mark for turret was just a line instead of a triangle. would make turrets easier to read.
The second rev indicator starts to come up 0.5 mil early.
The clicks are good but not amazing could be more definitive, if you are going slow they are very good but if you crank on it fast is when they feel weird. I like click on the Cronus gen 2 better.

I believe most of my qualms would be rectified by 10 mil/rev turrets which they said they should be releasing later this year.
I'd sure like to see an actual non sponsored long term review of this scope by someone who bought it full price with his or her own money.

I'd sure like to see an actual non sponsored long term review of this scope by someone who bought it full price with his or her own money.

^ sounds like you just did
Ya that's about the best I can do and I did pay for it. I'm not into video editing. I'd say you won't be disappointed, personally I'd wait for the 10 Mil version which I will likely buy when it comes out.

About the clicks I will say I went and played with some of my cheaper scopes that I hadn't touched in a while, Athlon Ares and Helos and the Apex puts them to shame.

I just got an email, Apex currently having 20% off in stock optics so now be a good time to buy if you were interested.

Reactions: russkim04