• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Anyone still making a direct mount one-piece base for Rem 700 Long Actions?

91Eunozs

The Man (Retired)
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 9, 2013
    south central Texas
    About to get one of my long actions back from Hill Country Rifles (they’re very local to me); trued receiver and with a new 280AI barrel. Also had the base/rings mounting holes bumped up to #8-40. Just need a scope mount now….

Probably Medium height and 30mm Ring diameter for a Zeiss scope I already have on hand.

Had my eye on a mount from Night Force, but it appears they’re no longer making them; nothing on their direct mount page: https://www.nightforceusa.com/nightforce-accessories-direct-mounts.aspx

This is the only one I can find so far (at Brownell’s):

p_749012018_1.jpg

…but it’s a high mount. Not a show stopper, but not exactly what I’m looking for either. I also prefer the version with 6 bolts per cap; can’t find that anywhere. Not a big fan of buying used either.

I can obviously just mount a base and then mount a pic rail version, but really wanted to limit the number of interfaces on this build. Anywhere I should be looking? Not 100% committed to that NF, but want a solid, well-made one piece direct mount, and I know of that one.

Thanks in advance…. appreciate any pointers, or hell, just some help getting pointed in the right direction!

Last edited:
    Not sure they ever made the 6 screw unimounts?? I have both 30 and 34mm 6 screw NF rings that I never even considered even trying the unimount. Since they aren’t QD what is the reason for the unimount style?

Reactions: 91Eunozs
    You might check with Murphyprecision.com. He makes excellent bases and can pretty much make anything custom you might want.

You might check with Murphyprecision.com. He makes excellent bases and can pretty much make anything custom you might want.
    He only does pic rail bases now AFAIK…no rings any more. Will reach out to see if he still has a file for a med/high 30mm rings uni-base for Rem700 Long Action though.

Edit: he doesn’t do rings any more…. From the FAQ page on his website:

8FAB77BB-8FE3-4D29-AF33-4BE5A0734833.png

Last edited:
    Not sure they ever made the 6 screw unimounts?? I have both 30 and 34mm 6 screw NF rings that I never even considered even trying the unimount. Since they aren’t QD what is the reason for the unimount style?
    Maybe not, I may be misremembering some rings vs a one piece base

and direct mount to my Rem 700 Long Action receiver that I just had trued and modified to take #8-40 base/ring screws

Near manufacturing

Dang! Never even considered Wheeler… looks pretty robust, and for $83 on clearance that’s hard to pass up.

Always been a believer in “buy once, cry once” though so waffling… May just get that and the NF set from Brownells, then pick one.

Those Near mfg rings look like the ticket, but can’t quite wrap my mind around printing and filling out the form, and then faxing it to them. Didn’t realize that was still a thing. Will call them on Monday to see what’s up.

Edit for the salty language in the rant below…was pretty pissed off last night. Funny enough, the invoice that came into my in box shows “in stock”

Fair warning!

——

Faaaack!

Fucking Brownell’s got me again…. Ordered the NF high ring direct mount plus the bubble top ring. Said ‘in stock’ and still showed in stock through order verification. Once I completed the order this pops up:

0B86D056-B0D6-452C-A346-1A78E2B89E10.jpeg

mother fuckers…. That’s twice now. Had the same thing happen when ordering a Tungsten grip frame from them for one of my Sig 320s a couple years ago. Took over a year to get in.

Gonna cancel this order on Monday if it’s not actually in stock.

I fucking hate this bait and switch bullshit.

Guess I’m getting the Wheeler tomorrow (already in bed and not getting back up),
    or try to send a morse code and or smoke signals to Near mfg on Monday.

Otherwise just write this off as a bad idea and just do another set of Talley rings. Why does it have to be so hard?

yeah, yeah... I know … #1stworldproblems

edit: went ahead and ordered the Wheeler mount too. Thank you Larry Potterfield for having your shit together on your web site.

Brownell Fuckers pissing me off…I gotta get up in less than 6 hours and tomorrow’s gonna be a long day at work…one of my managers is out and I have to cover down on his two departments all day, plus do my job. Now I get to spend waste time dealing with their bull shit…. Again.

Edit #2: I recant my harsh words for Brownell’s…needless to say I was pretty hot under the collar when I typed that out. Brownell’s CS was responsive and on point when I got through to them this morning…all is good.

Last edited:
    Reactions: lash
    About to get one of my long actions back from Hill Country Rifles (they’re very local to me); trued receiver and with a new 280AI barrel. Also had the base/rings mounting holes bumped up to #8-40. Just need a scope mount now….

Probably Medium height and 30mm Ring diameter for a Zeiss scope I already have on hand.

Had my eye on a mount from Night Force, but it appears they’re no longer making them; nothing on their direct mount page: https://www.nightforceusa.com/nightforce-accessories-direct-mounts.aspx

This is the only one I can find so far (at Brownell’s):

p_749012018_1.jpg

…but it’s a high mount. Not a show stopper, but not exactly what I’m looking for either. I also prefer the version with 6 bolts per cap; can’t find that anywhere. Not a big fan of buying used either.

I can obviously just mount a base and then mount a pic rail version, but really wanted to limit the number of interfaces on this build. Anywhere I should be looking? Not 100% committed to that NF, but want a solid, well-made one piece direct mount, and I know of that one.

Thanks in advance…. appreciate any pointers, or hell, just some help getting pointed in the right direction!

I actually saw those on Amazon, but leery of anything at that price. Just seems odd to me to mount a $2K scope onto a $2K rifle with a mount that costs less than $100.

I know, I know…don’t knock it until you try it. And that Wheeler is <$100 too, ironically enough…on clearance though.

I actually saw those on Amazon, but leery of anything at that price. Just seems odd to me to mount a $2K scope onto a $2K rifle with a mount that costs less than $100.

I know, I know…don’t knock it until you try it. And that Wheeler is <$100 too, ironically enough…on clearance though.
    I had one for years, and used it on a custom built R700 7mm RemMag with my Kahles Helia KX sitting in it...Never had a single issue. Took many deer with that rifle until I pulled the whole thing apart to rebuild it into something else (I get bored easily 😂).

Well, I guess I still technically own it, even though it's being used on a buddy's rifle now. But they're good quality stuff. Make sure you don't over-torque the screws. Use their torque spec, and don't go over. But outside of that, it's a great mount (at least, the old ones used to be, I have no idea about anything built by them in the last 10 years).

IMG_2258.jpeg

IMG_2259.jpeg

IMG_2302.jpeg

Last edited:
    Reactions: lash and 91Eunozs
    Do a search for Badger Ordnance products. I think you'll probably find something that will work for your project.

Well color me surprised…and even a bit impressed!

Brownell’s actually responded to my on-line query to let me know the part was indeed in stock (apparently I got the last one), and it was being prepped for shipping. I didn’t see that response until just now…been at work all day, but did also get through on their customer service line this morning, and the very polite lady who answered gave me essentially the same info.

So I recant my previous rant above… And kudos to Troy and Jill working in Brownell’s CS for their professional and timely engagement. Well done.

— break, break —

So now what do I do with two mounts, but only one LA receiver?

Why, buy another scope and receiver of course! 😝

• Haha
    Reactions: lash
    Do a search for Badger Ordnance products. I think you'll probably find something that will work for your project.
    Looked there too, but didn’t find anything…. May have this one wrapped up, but will search again.

appreciate the input regardless…

Last edited: