• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone substitute Winchester for CCI LR primers?

MBass300

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2010
Prospect,Ct
I recently started reloading for my .308 with pretty good results and have been using CCI LR primers. I'm a little reluctant to mess with a good thing, but I'm having trouble finding them locally. Winchester primers seem to be everywhere I look. Wondering if anyone has made this switch and how, if at all, this effected their loads?

Re: Anyone substitute Winchester for CCI LR primers?

I had the same problem as you with CCI primers in short supply I tried them. They are softer than the CCI cups and may be a smidge smaller. I could feel a lot less pressure while seating them with a Lee hand tool. I got fairly good results with them, I guess not much of a difference to make a note not to use them. I now use them in my wife's gun while I use the BR2's in mine. She can't tell the difference.
wink.gif

Mike

I didnt see much appreciable difference honestly. Im not bench shooting though mind you.

Win primers work fine, they are a bit smaller and feel a little weaker than a CCI but (supposedly) they ignite with more fire or something.

If you are out of CCI regular LR just use CCI magnums. I actually like the magnums the most because they seem to have a thicker cup and take a bit more effort to seat (nothing I hate more than a primer falling out inside my semi, win primers + fed brass did that to me several times).

I run Winchesters and Wolfs exclusively! They are great primers and to be honest I would rather have Winchester than the CCI's. Where I am it seems to be reverse of what your saying, CCI's are abundant and the Winchester are hard to find.

Terry

I get about +30 fps in .308, and more squaring of the corners of the primers. The guy at Sierra I talked with a few months ago confirmed that you do get slightly higher pressure with Winchesters.

I use CCI in all my .308 loads. Is there any real difference if I went with magnum primers?

Thanks everyone for the info. I'll give them a try. There's a shop near me that has 6 boxes they ordered for a customer that ended up not taking them. The owner offered them to me for $20 per 1000. I was tempted to just grab them, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to regret it. I'm all for saving some $ when possible, but not if it means i have to sacrifice accuracy or consistancy. If you guys have had good luck with them, I'll probably stock up on the Winchesters.
Thanks again.

Thanks soberbiker! That's exactly what I was looking (and hoping) for! Not sure why that didn't come up in the search. I've got two loads I'm working with right now: a 168 SMK over 45.7gr Varget getting 2812 fps av, and a 178 A-max over 44.5gr Varget getting around 2713 gps av. Both are shooting well and I'm happy with the MVs so I was hoping the primers wouldn't make much of a difference. I'm not a BR guy either, so 5fps is nothing. I'll be picking up 6000 of the Winchesters today and should have a chance to try some of them out next week. I'll be sure to add my findings to the post for future reference, since this question seems a popular one.

Plus its usually easy to find your brass on the line when most shoot CCI or Fed-the brass primers have gotten my hard earned Lapua back from a brass "opportunist" more than once.

They will work, but they may require some small degree of load tweaking to get the best performance. Remember, you change any part of a load, and you have created a new load.

I do my load development with standard (non-match) primers. Once the load is set, I switch to the <span style="font-style: italic">same brand and size</span> match primer. If there's no improvement, I keep thr original primer as part of the load recipe.

I use Winchester for hunting loads (when brass is getting near retirement, I use it once more for hunting loads), and for Semi (Garand, etc.) loads.

Understood. Since I'm still in the process of tweaking my loads, a small difference in performance should be easy to accommodate.
I bought the 6000 Winchester primers so I'll be all set for awhile. I do feel them going in a little easier work my Lee Auto-prime tool. I'll keep an eye on them when shooting to make sure this doesn't cause any issues. I'll let you guys know what I find out. Thanks again.