• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Anyone suppress a .204 Ruger?

csi:cyberspace

Cyber Snoop Dog
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2006
Asheville, NC
Preferably a Rem. 700. I'm debating one of these as a varmint rifle, but I am wondering how well this round is suppressed as compared to say a .17HMR or a .223? I'll be getting a bolt gun, so I'm hoping it's a bit more quiet than my AR. If you run a can on one of these, what are your impressions regarding suppression, and what can do you use?

Re: Anyone suppress a .204 Ruger?

I shoot a 17 MachIV through a form-1 can thats basicly a copy of a AAC Ranger II , its a 223 can with a .265" bore and it works great for the 17 can , i dont see what the 204 would be any differant

I have a GEMTECH .223 silencer on my Howa 1500 .204 ruger. I would say a .223 shoots quieter than the .204, at least in my experience. My friend has the same silencer on his Rem 700 .223.

Perhaps I am mistaken but it seemed to me it was harder to suppress a 32 gr .204 rocketing out the barrel at 4200 fps than a 62 gr .223.

Either way it does suppress it nicely. If I wanted it to be quieter I might get a .223 but the .204 32 and 40 gr work just fine for woodchucks, coyotes, and crows.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: I Am Hero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Perhaps I am mistaken but it seemed to me it was harder to suppress a 32 gr .204 rocketing out the barrel at 4200 fps than a 62 gr .223.
</div></div>

the velocity doesent have anythign to do with it once the bullet breaks 1050 fps its gonna crack , not any louder at 4k than at 2k.
its likely louder because the bore is so much bigger than the projectile it make the suppresor less effecient.

My 17 is actualy a good bit quieter than my 223 but the 223 barrel is 10.5" and the 17 is 22" and the case has significatly less powder
my can on a 20" 223 bolt gun is still louder than the 17 again i think its due to less powder and the smaller bullet having a smaller "sonic boom"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

the velocity doesent have anythign to do with it once the bullet breaks 1050 fps its gonna crack , not any louder at 4k than at 2k. </div></div>

Yea, after posting this I realized that that wasn't the case and that it was probably the smaller diameter of the projectile. I just didn't think it would make that much of a difference. I use a .22 can on my 17 HMR and it does wonders. I love shooting crows with that setup.

Sorry about the mixup with velocity there.

My buddy was using a SRT Shadow 30 cal on his R-15 in .204 and it was damn quiet, I think quieter than a .223, the 204 is a fairly quiet round to begin with.