• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone track reloading data in Excel or Google Sheets?

strat81

Misanthropic Realist
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2009
Hamilton County, Nebraska
Rather than have scraps of paper on my desk, in my range bag, on my reloading bench, in my car, etc., I was pondering having reloading data in a spreadsheet.

Columns I'm thinking would be:
Cartridge
Rifle
Date
Bullet
Powder Type
Powder Charge
Primer
Case
# of shots in group
Group size
Max Velocity
Min Velocity
Average Velocity
SD
ES
Atmospheric Conditions
Notes/Comments

Anything else?

I track everything you've listed, but here's what I bought:

20191001_202855.jpg

Each caliber has its own section

20191001_203125.jpg

Each caliber gets a separate section if I load different bullets. For instance, the first one you'll see is for 6.5 Creedmoor with RL16 and 140 ELDM in Alpha brass because that's 6.5 Creedmoor load I use the most, but I've shot the Hornady 140 BTHP with H4350 and Prime brass for years as well, so I have separate sections for different loads. I have a 6 Dasher load for the 105 Hybrid, but I also use the 107 SMK pretty frequently, so I have a section for just the 105 and a different one for the 107. I take notes, velocities, atmospheric data, date, etc., on an index card whenever I do any load dev/testing and all the cards go into the correct section. If I tested several bullets, but don't use them, they go into the 6.5 Creedmoor Misc file. Basically, if I've shot it, I have a record of it in the box. It makes it really easy for me to say, "I'm going to load 6XC with H4350 and the 115 DTAC." I just have to flip to the 6XC section for that bullet and I'll find all my records.

Last edited:
I don't reload, but you may find this pc program interesting. I use the Firearms Database from the same developer to track my firearms, ammo, and range trips. More recently, he created a program to track all your reloading stuff.

https://www.reloaderusa.com/about-reloader-usa

BTW, the developer is VERY responsive to user feature requests. So, if the program lacks something you'd like, let him know, and there's a good chance he'll add it.

Last edited:
Rather than have scraps of paper on my desk, in my range bag, on my reloading bench, in my car, etc., I was pondering having reloading data in a spreadsheet.

Columns I'm thinking would be:
Cartridge
Rifle
Date
Bullet
Powder Type
Powder Charge
Primer
Case
# of shots in group
Group size
Max Velocity
Min Velocity
Average Velocity
SD
ES
Atmospheric Conditions
Notes/Comments

Anything else?

I have almost all of this and then some, though I only record average velocity on the spreadsheet and keep the saved chrono data from the chrono, which can be referenced by the date. For atmospheric Conditions I have separate columns for Altitude, Relitive Humidity and Ambient Temp. Here are some other columns in addition to what you show that I have in my spreadsheet:

Date Loaded
Brass Mfg. (e.g. Lapua, PPU, Winchester, Federal, etc.)
Type of case sizing (e.g. Full Length Sized, Neck Sized)
Case Length
Cartridge Length (COAL)
Bullet Manufacturer
Bullet Type
Bullet Weight
Distance off Lands
Date Fired
Location Fired
Name of Chrono used (e.g. Lab Radar, Magnetospeed, ProChrono, etc.)
Number of rounds chronoed
Total Rounds (running total for each barrel)

Neck Tension is one I've been thinking about adding to my sheet.

I've loved spreadsheets (Excel) since 1987) as it really helps when sorting and looking at the data for analysis objectives. It's easy to add whatever information you want to track.

Last edited:
I do it a little differently... I keep a Google Docs document as a narrative log for most of my range and loading sessions, and a Google Sheets spreadsheet for tabular data such as velocity tests, etc. and for charting particular tests. If appropriate I'll paste charts or sub-sets of the table data into the narrative log.

Personally I find that the narrative log is more helpful in that I can record *what* I was thinking, and *why* I was headed down a particular path, rather than just the numbers. I have it set up with a Table of Contents (TOC) at the top, as well as the newer 'outline' side-bar, to aid in navigation. I separate out different guns into different sections, and then log both both 'loading bench' and 'range' sessions in a before/after sort of format. Much of it is written in the vein of "notes to my future self", so when I come back to it in six months or a couple years, I have a better understanding of what I was trying to do, and if it worked the way I wanted at the time. Most of the straight-up reloading spreadsheets I've seen seem a bit too... sanitized... or abstract... for that degree of introspection.

I try my best to do NOTHING on the cloud. I have a hard enough time trying to keep my private computer(s) secure without having to deal with more unknown.

I did the same as everyone else pretty much using Google Docs and Google sheets and transferring back-and-forth the data in order to have everything in line. As for the Google conspiracy theory I think there is no business benefit for them to go after what you track as no one knows if it's related to you or not. Another great future that you might want to consider is the ability of transferring with Airtable https://blog.coupler.io/airtable-to-google-sheets/ from any app or even notepad your data to google sheets with great accuracy in order to save time!

Last edited:
I have almost all of this and then some, though I only record average velocity on the spreadsheet and keep the saved chrono data from the chrono, which can be referenced by the date. For atmospheric Conditions I have separate columns for Altitude, Relitive Humidity and Ambient Temp. Here are some other columns in addition to what you show that I have in my spreadsheet:

Date Loaded
Brass Mfg. (e.g. Lapua, PPU, Winchester, Federal, etc.)
Type of case sizing (e.g. Full Length Sized, Neck Sized)
Case Length
Cartridge Length (COAL)
Bullet Manufacturer
Bullet Type
Bullet Weight
Distance off Lands
Date Fired
Location Fired
Name of Chrono used (e.g. Lab Radar, Magnetospeed, ProChrono, etc.)
Number of rounds chronoed
Total Rounds (running total for each barrel)

Neck Tension is one I've been thinking about adding to my sheet.

I've loved spreadsheets (Excel) since 1987) as it really helps when sorting and looking at the data for analysis objectives. It's easy to add whatever information you want to track.
I'm definitely a spreadsheet kinda guy, but just getting started in rifle hand loading. Thanks for the headings. I just set up my sheet!

Reactions: straightshooter1
This one from ultimate reloader is pretty simple

Frankly, I don't like this at all for a spreadsheet because of its format; you can have a lot of data to sort through and you really can't get any sort of decent analysis over time with it. If that data were in columns, then it can be sorted and easy to pull out various information.

Like this, using the same data (easy to add columns for any additional information you might want to track):

Load Data.jpg

Last edited:
I just use the 6.5 guys spreadsheets and save them on my computer. Then print my final recipe
20200906_082401.jpg

Yep all saved on my server....folders starting with caliber....sub folders within that caliber for gun, then sub folders under that for powder then sub folders under thst for each bullet reloaded in thst gun. Then in those folders I have excel Labrador spreadsheets, OCW and seating depth targets and final load confirmation targets at distance.

I have quite an extensive library for everything rifle to AR to 9mm and 45 pistol

Traditional data base programs work better than spread sheets for this type of record keeping.

filemaker_pro_handloads_screen_capture_0-2665107.jpg

filemaker_pro_muzzle_velocity_screen_sho-2665108.jpg

filemaker_pro_ammo_log_screen_capture_00-2665105.jpg

filemaker_pro_deleted_pistols_screen_cap-2665125.jpg

filemaker_pro_pistol_individual_record_s-2665109.jpg

....and excel spreadsheet in reality is a "database".... the WYSIWYG (what you see is what your get) interface can be modified to whatever you desire and makes the most sense to you. Molon's examples are really nice as they incorporate some very nice graphic data elements for the visual aspects of the user interface (the form presentation). The data elements of spreadsheets AND databases can be exported/imported to each other easily.

...but to answer the OP's question, determine what data info YOU need and makes sense to you and go for it.

Edited: Security is a valid concern when using a cloud based storage solution, it is not impervious to hacks or manipulation of the data without your knowledge or consent of your data stored. a good and recommended practice is to ensure you have backup copies, be it on multiple clouds AND your own devices, be it online accessible or offline.

Last edited: