• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone tried H380 for 300 WSM?

Jester8

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2006
Bis. No.Dak.
I am currently working up a load for a relative's new Tikka T3 in 300 WSM. He wants to shoot 168 gr, Nosler Combined Tech. ballistic tips. In the #6 Nosler reloading manual H380 was the most accurate powder tested, with 60.0 grains being the sweet spot for them.

Is this an optimal powder for such a large cartridge? I use H380 in my 22-250, so I was alittle taken aback.

Any thoughts/experiences?

Re: Anyone tried H380 for 300 WSM?

It's a little fast burn rate for the WSM and shouldn't fill up the case. But if it works, run with it. You will lose a little velocity to other slower powders, which might not be a bad thing in the light T3. You can seat the bullet out far to the lands in the T3. If you wanted top speed, I would run a slower powder that fills the case up, seat the bullet out close to the lands, and take advantage of the T3 long action for the WSM.

So would IMR 4350 be a better choice, or RL 19? He wants the bullets loaded to mag length. He only shoots his rifles for hunting. So I guess I'll have to make due.

In short, is there a magic powder that works well for this round? Thanks for your help Chad.

IMR 4350 would work. I've also tried H4350. I get more velocity with R22, and it shoots well in several rifles that I've tried. Any of these will work.

On the bullet seating, you can seat it to book max COAL and it function fine for hunting. There's nothing wrong with seating it a little longer for his rifle. If you seat the bullet out a little bit, you can gain some accuracy and extra powder capacity. So, there's a lot to gain by doing this.

Ok, sounds good. I think I'll try the 380 and I a few pounds of IMR4350. Thank you.

Well, went out and tried the H380 today. I was shooting sissy style using a leadsled. Doesn't look like the H380 is going to cut the mustard. I was getting alot of fliers, it would put damn near in the same hole, then one would be up and away about 1"-1.5". I am going to try some IMR 4350 next. See how that goes. Thanks for your help.