• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

anyone tried Hodgon Benchmark with 168gn SMK 308?

usmc02xx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2012
Locust Grove GA, USA
I got a lb of it for free and figure did give it a shot. I usually use Varget so its a new load for me. But if it sux im not going to waste my time using it in the 308. Ill save it for the 223.

Re: anyone tried Hodgon Benchmark with 168gn SMK 308?

ps. yes i used the google search for SH. i saw some for heavier weights and other calibers.

In my limited experience, it works well with light bullets. I could not get the velocity I was looking for and pressures got a little touchy as I approached published max. I tried 168 smk’s and 155 a-max’s. I settled on a moderate charge with the a-max. It printed pretty on paper, but the velocity was just not there for me. This was a few yrs ago, but I clearly remember pressure spiking on me, so approach max with caution. YMMV.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtnCreek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In my limited experience, it works well with light bullets. I could not get the velocity I was looking for and pressures got a little touchy as I approached published max. I tried 168 smk’s and 155 a-max’s. I settled on a moderate charge with the a-max. It printed pretty on paper, but the velocity was just not there for me. This was a few yrs ago, but I clearly remember pressure spiking on me, so approach max with caution. YMMV. </div></div>

Exactly mirrors my experience, though I only loaded for 180smk in 308. It grouped super nice, but 40gr was tops, and left me at about 2450fps.

I remember showing up to a 100 yard varmint match with that ammo and won with a perfectly clean score, including perfect hits on all bonus targets.

Reactions: Brokegunner

I didnt try it with MKs but with a 168AMAX, shot a pretty nice 3 shot group, think I loaded 1 grain from the max.

I used it for my AR10T, and it shot great. Groups ran 1"-1.5"@ 100 Meters. The reason I used it was because it metered so nice from a Redding BR powder measure, and I could load lots of ammo fast for the gas gun. That gun liked 168 SMK Moly bullets.

I use Varget dropped from my Chargemaster in my bolt guns, which shoot way less than 1 MOA.

thanks for all the replies, i loaded own 10% from published. Im just punching paper at 1-300 yards on this one so maybe it will be good. Thanks again for the warnings on pressure.