• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone tried S&W 5.45x39 upper?

yej0001

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2011
Northern CA
Several companies are selling AR15 upper in this Russian AK74 caliber (5.45x39). The surplus ammo is about 11c/round. Cann't be beat. S&W's system has chrome lined barrel and chamber, as well as bolt face, so it can handle corrosive surplus if he shooter does it's share of the homework

Has anyone tried this set up? I have seen 5.45x39 do amazing things in milled AK by Arsenal (SAM5) and in some customer-built AK74. I am wondering how is this round compared to 5.56Nato

Re: Anyone tried S&W 5.45x39 upper?

put a bunch of rounds through my friends with no issue. Even with that rapid fire stock.

I run one. The chromed bolt face is news to me, though. It functions well enough with properly running magazines, and it's fairly accurate as CQB stuff goes. You won't find anything pre-regulated for the round, though, that isn't expecting to sit on an AK, although its trajectory is similar to .223/5.56x45 out to about 200 yards or so and begins to degrade after that.

Typical AK74 sight:

http://aa-ok.com/russian-kashtan-1p78-military-red-dot-sight-for-ak74-rifles.html

Charts, info on round, etc.:

http://www.ak47.net/forums/t_4_54/128085_index.html

http://www.ada.ru/Guns/ballistic/545x39/compare.htm

http://www.ada.ru/Guns/ballistic/545x39/index.htm

My boss Mike fired so many rounds through his as a training upper he actually shot the barrel out. It eventually wouldnt hold a 4" group at 50 yards....Had around 40,000 rounds through it. S&W sent him a new barrel. I recommend them!

Mine, with a SUIT on top and Russian surplus, will shoot 5 shot groups at 300 yds. that are about 4" wide by 6" tall. That point on the bottom of the SUIT post makes it hard to put it on the same spot (center of the target) every shot. Still, I'm pretty happy with it.

I have one but mine is a SS barell. I have run it on my M16 and cut the barrell to 12" no problems at all.

I have a couple of the S&W uppers set up and they have run without issue for me. I have more than 5000 rounds through each. Spike's Tactical also has a 5.45 upper which is sold through Aim Surplus. I have not used Spike's but if it is like their other offerings, I would have no issue in purchasing one.

I'm waiting on the spikes version which is sold out. They have a pretty sweet set up.

I bought a complete MP 15R rifle that Smith makes and it shot great, i since converted it to a AA piston setup with BC 2.0 compensator and that setup is probably the most easiest to shoot ARs i've ever shot. light, accurate and vertually no recoil to even speak of. the only thing is that the trigger is not to my liking and thats going to get changed soon, but other then that the rifle is of a great quality and fit and finish are outstanding. I presume the upper is just as good. Hope that helps.
heres a pic for reference before i added the compensator and aimpoint.
35m4dvk.jpg

98963l.jpg

and picture of a gas block
bgcith.jpg

My buddy put a 5.45 S&W upper on his AR and it performs flawlessly.

I would own one if you could use that caliber in 3 gun.

http://www.adamsarms.net/details.asp?sku=UA-16-C-B-545
this adams arms build had a great writeup in S.W.A.T. magazine recently. Seems the thing is rust-proof because of their ionbond and melonite coatings. The author of the article shot it extensively for a month and was told not to clean it by adams arm's president. In the writeup, there was no rust present anywhere. he was also able to get moa groups out of it. It was an impressive enough review of it to get my attention(even if it is one of those AR-piston abominations
smile.gif
....)

I've got a 20" 'A2' type M1 Sales setup (already had the other parts just bought barrel, bolt, FP). Carrier and bolt are parked only. Not sure about the bolt FACE but would definitely recommend coating of the bolt tail. I do get some pitting on the bolt tail. Would feel much better about chroming stuff if I knew vendor who properly vacuum bakes after plating to avoid hydrogen embrittlement.

Mine purrs pretty good, I did do the following tweaks though:

1. Remove aluminum spacer in rifle buffer, replace with steel weights and rubber shims.
2. Tweak one of the feed lips on the C Products mags to match the other, load 25 rounds in mag. Last 5 were a bitch to load anyhow.
3. Tuned up the feed ramp/receiver area for more fluid cartridge feed. Careful Dremel/porting tool work here.

I love mine, be advised though that it isn't the 'original' caliber so may take some tweaking. The anti-corrosion coatings are a good idea as the ammo is kind of nasty and I have gotten rust somewhat quickly when shooting in humid environment.

ETA, the 5.45 doesn't seem to me to be as hot as 5.56. I've shot back-to-back with damn near identical rifles only difference is 5.45 has a smith brake on it. Don't think that's the diff though.