• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone try 175 SMK over 46gr Varget?

Nessal

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2009
CA
I'm working up some loads from 42grn to 46grn varget for a new 175SMK load. They are loaded to 2.820 OAL in Winchester brass with CCI 200. Has anyone tried 46grn of Varget yet? Any pressure signs? I just did a 10 rounds so far.

Re: Anyone try 175 SMK over 46gr Varget?

Yeah I know that Hogdon listed 45grn as max load. Just wondering what everyone's experience were.

45.3 was all I wanted to go. What was a high accuracy node with Win brass for me. Got flat primers. What are you getting at 46g?

Yes, in win brass and it is too hot. Found that 44.0 grs is almost too hot esp. in tighter custom chambers.

Well I haven't shot the 46grn yet. I have no problem pulling them though.

I have shot up to 45.5grn in my other rifle without any issues or even pressure signs. Pretty surprising actually. So that was why I decided to go a OCW test from 42-46grn.

I'm using commercial new WIN brass and I was under the impression that they are thinner thus allowing more powder. Come to think of it, when I shake the 46grn cartridges that I loaded, I can still hear powder moving slightly...so it's not a total compressed charge yet.

I can obviously just work bottom up and if it starts to show pressure signs, I'll just pull them.

I went up to 46gr Varget, TRG-22, CCI 200 primers, 2.920 COAL and RP brass. No pressure signs at all, either on the brass, primers or the bolt operation. I was just losing accuracy, so I didn't go any higher. I got .25 MOA from 42.8-43.5. So, I've loaded another ladder test going in smaller increments to further refine the data.

At 2.82 inches, my primers, cases and QuickLOAD all agreed that 46.0 Varget was just a bit over max pressure.

With 155-gr bullets.

Maybe if you load long, but that load makes me worry. It's not like interchanging 168s and 175s. MUCH bigger difference at play.

shot a bunch of 175 smk with 45gr varget, 2.810 COAL and cci primers in my TRG22 today at 450 yds with excellent accuracy and no pressure signs at all.

I've gone as high as 45.5 in lapua brass, no major drama on the brass. Primers were getting pretty flat though, although I've seen worse out of factory ammo. Groups were opening up so I stopped there.

Ive loaded to 45.7 with no pressure signs or sticky bolt. Was a compressed load.

dangerous territory IMO. I never exceed book max. Call me nieve, but I can always find a node within the listed "safe range".

45 was too much for my rifle.

edit: I guess I should add this was 2.795 COAL, win brass @ 1.995, CCI LR primer, in 90 degree heat. I may try it again at 2.82 COAL but I need some way to crimp them as I was getting fliers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nessal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm using commercial new WIN brass and I was under the impression that they are thinner thus allowing more powder. Come to think of it, when I shake the 46grn cartridges that I loaded, I can still hear powder moving slightly...so it's not a total compressed charge yet.

</div></div>

Yes, WIN brass has more case capacity, so it will take more powder to get to the same MV as other brass like Lapua, FC, etc. For instance, I have a super accurate load in WIN brass at 44.8 Varget with 175SMKs but its slow-ish at 2560. I also have a 44.6 Varget/175SMK load in Lapua brass that gets me 2615. Having said that, 46.0 seems pretty hot even in WIN brass. But you never know, every gun is different. If you shoot up to it, be VERY careful and stop the moment you get any pressure signs. I'm betting that 45.5 or so will be where you top out.

NOTE TO ALL LOADERS: This thread illustrates why loads are completely different depending on the brass make and to a lesser degree the seating depth of the bullet. If you're going to post a load, PLEASE inlcude the brass make and the COAL. I've seen a trend lately that many people are just posting powder and bullet as their "pet load". Yes, it goes without saying that we should always work up to any load because every rifle is different. But there are some obvious new re-loaders here and I think sometimes that warning is not heeded as much as it should be. So by including brass make and COAL, it might clue them into understanding that they can't just copy it verbatim. (off my soap box now).

MAY work till a round "cooks" in a hot chamber a bit, or till next summer with 100+* temps.
Never work-up a max load in the Fall/Winter time..........
Also that load is for THAT lot of powder.
It's YOUR weapon, brass, bbl. I try to make my junk last along time, just saying is all.
Respectfully,
LG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lumpy grits</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MAY work till a round "cooks" in a hot chamber a bit, or till next summer with 100+* temps.
It's YOUR weapon, brass, bbl. I try to make my junk last along time, just saying is all.
Respectfully,
LG </div></div>

Totally agree.....

If ya want a 30-06 or 300 Win Mag, buy one. Overloading can only mean one thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lumpy grits</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MAY work till a round "cooks" in a hot chamber a bit, or till next summer with 100+* temps.
Respectfully,
LG </div></div>

I live in the bay and our temperatures are pretty consistent given that you don't live near the coast. Today was about 75F which is I would say about average around here. Also, from my understanding, Varget is a really temp tolerant powder. I wouldn't work up a load with my IMR4895 in 50F then use that same load on a 100F day LOL.

Well today I shot the 46grn and there was no excessive pressure signs. Quite to my surprise! The primer looked pretty consistent throughout the loads with MAYBE a little bit more flattening with the 46grn. Also bolt lift was as easy as my 42grn load. What I did notice was that at 46grn, my necks were not as sooted up compared to the lower charges but still has a decent amount on it. Average muzzle velocity was 2773 FPS with one that spiked at 2807. Not exactly sure why that one spiked compared to the rest. Also 46grn shot like complete crap.

I found the node for the 175smk in this rifle to be at 43.5-44.5 grn. I will have to work up some more loads in that specific area to tune it. Then play with seating depth. I was shooting .563" 10 shot groupings at 44grs. The groups don't seem to want to squeeze anymore which was a bit disappointing as I can hold 1/3" MOA with 155 AMAX.

I would stop at 45.0g's.

Try 40.0g's to 45.0. Shoot until you start to see pressure signs.. I asked this same question about a month ago and I got some guys saying they shot up to 47g's.

Every rifle is different so just keep that 46 load but dyou might see signs short of it. No one can tell you. Just go out and shoot em and see what you get. If you dont see any signes of pressure make some moe loads and see what you get.

Alsot what rifle are you spitting those out of?

Rem 700 blueprinted action
26" Krieger Barrel 1/12 twist
AICS stock on Harris Bipod
Nightforce NSX scope

Here is a picture that I just took of all 10 46grn loads.
nmyvqd.jpg

Like I said it's your junk, do as you wish.
Just can't see WHY an extra 50-75 fps into a target is such a big deal. You leave little/no margin for error/change.
When I want extra powder and reach that is when the McM .50 BMG comes out.I don't run my .308 or any other caliber to the "high" edge.
Each has it's place....
Cheers,
LG

Yes. 20" Rem 700P. Superb accuracy for me. Not at home so I can't check, doesn't the Varget bottle have 46.0 gr as a suggested load for .308's printed on the label? I think it was for the 168 gr HPBT-M round.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clay_James</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That sounds like a really hot load. I'm running 44.4. </div></div>

+1 I also ran 44.4gr Varget behind 175 SMK in Lapual brass and BR2 primers. Just noticing faint ejector marks on the case head with this load. Some primer pockets have really loosened up too, but those were after a rapid extended string of fire and had a sticky bolt lift and deep ejector marks.