• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone try NOSLER Custom Comp 175gr HPBT?

USMCj

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 1, 2008
Nazzifornia
I know that Nosler Custom Comp bullets are copies of SMK's but they are also cheaper, so I was wondering if anyone had tried the 175gr pills out of their precision rig and how they compared to SMK's.

Re: Anyone try NOSLER Custom Comp 175gr HPBT?

I have shot the 140 6.5s in my 260 AR and 6.55x55 sporter and they shoot just as well as 140 SMKs or A Maxes. Don't know if that translates to 30 cal but does Nosler make any bad bullets?

I have yet to SEE one.....................
One thing to keep in mind, is their COMP bullets have a lot thinner jackets than Sierra's.
Most likely not as good a B.C. also.......ck it out.

I have some, could try to post some pics once I get access to a digital camera. I know they guy that designed them, they are not copies, and if I remember correctly the CC's generally have a thicker jacket. I could try to load some up with the standard RL15 load and post some target. It won't be till this weekend, kinda gimpy right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Two Shoes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have yet to SEE one.....................
One thing to keep in mind, is their COMP bullets have a lot thinner jackets than Sierra's.
Most likely not as good a B.C. also.......ck it out. </div></div>

Grafs has some in stock, myy dealer price comes to about $105 for 500 bullets, tempting to try but I dont want to commit to 500 pills without some reports of it being good.

My rifle really likes 155 Scenars but I'm getting sick and tired of waiting for it to be in stock! I should have bought a couple thousand when it was $229 per K at Grafs!

Well I got foot in mouth disease. The CC aren't a copy, but comparing the ones I have the are very simular. The base is just a tad different.

Bump this up
Ya, the CC base is a little different looking if you put them next to Sierra 175's .
I just gave them a try for the 1st time. There is a difference for sure between the Sierra and Nosler 175 and shooting them side-x-side . They don't shoot the same (for me) as my 175 Sieras out my rife.
'Same' POI on paper shooting them together but not near as tight a group out my rifle. This was done using the 'exact' same handloading as my 175 sierra load.
But, They seemed to shoot better and tighter groups out my friends Rem. with 12 -twist and 44 grn.Varget . when shooting side-x-side the sierra's . He had much tighter groups than I did. He was using his exact same 175 Sierra handloading also .
My Rem. and barrel is 11.27 and I am loading 43.5 of # 15 reloader . I had a big difference in larger-group size with the 175 Nosler . but 'Nice and Tight' with the Sierra's as usual.
I got some more loaded and am going to shoot the whole box of 100 bullets to try and figure out the Nosler CC difference.

Anybody else shooting the Nosler 175 customs ? and worked up a good load with them and understand them yet ?

Did they produce the same velocity with the same load as the Sierra?

I may just have to put these side-x-side with the PT system attached and see how things are tuning up.

Did not check the Vel. but I might.
The POI was the same as sierra's @ 200 yrd. paper when I was shooting but you never know. Don't think my Crony is that accurate though for real Vel. comparison. It's a POS but it will just get me a average Vel. to start working out the real velocity on the ranging.
The surface area riding the Lands of the Nosler CC must be a little different for sure. plus Jacket maybe be a little softer or harder, over the Sierra 175's . but I need to change the load up or down and/or the OAL also to accommodate the Noslers and tighten them up before I can seriously use them in my rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: softcock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bump this up
There is a difference for sure between the Sierra and Nosler 175 and shooting them side-x-side . They don't shoot the same (for me) as my 175 Sieras out my rife. </div></div>

Perhaps the load needs to be optimized for that bullet.

Looks like Im going to have to give them a try.

thanks for the input guys.

Gave the Nosler CC 175's more range time today, I set the OAL back some more and also let the barrel get seasoned-in for 5-rounds before start judging on group size .
Using the same Powder, neck-sized brass and Primer, The Nosler jackets must be a different blend because if I let them season-in the Bore, then they start to tighten-up some more . also I set the OAL back a bit from my usual magazine length in my rifle .
I got the Noslers to do about what I get ' @ 200 ' yrd with my Sierra 175's . In a average good 5-round group @ 200, I can do 4 of the 5 in a 1-inch group with 1 of the 5 out to 1.5 - inch . But I am not going to shoot any more Noslers out my .308 as I do Not want to get the barrel all seasoned to the Noslers jackets as I have it all dialed to 175 Sierra and my handload and also intend on going the total barrel life with just 175 Sierras . But I see no reason to not use them on another Barrel of a different rifle. Most likely be good longrange bullet.

Usually they are thinner jackets, than Sierra........sure would not use them as a Hunting bullet opposed to the Sierra's...........
Anyone know what <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">the Nosler's B.C. is?.</span></div></div>

The only B.C. info I've seen was on midway which list them as .505 I have noticed that the CC are slightly shorter than the SMKs.

I like the Noslers better than Sierras.
I don't know about the thickness of the jacket, but Noslers will usually knock steel over when Sierras just blow up and leave the steel standing (HP silhoutte Rams at 500m).

Call me crazy, but in my book a thinner jacket is a good thing for a bullet to have that you intend to shoot at aninmals/people. Don't non-bonded hunting bullets have thin jackets?

I switched to the nosler CC 175 due to avalibilty of Serrias and I am by the factory every other week.

I found them to shoot the same point of impact but a littel tighter than the 175 SMK. The ogive seemed to be a little different moving the bearing surface .03 close to the lands.

I Used the same load, Powder, brass, primes, seating depth,

I just got another 400.

Willys

Thanks,still not giving the BC's?????
Strange.............

Yesterday I went to the range and shot 100 rounds from 200-700yds at steel targets. Rifle stock 700p w/ break. My std load 175g SMK fed210m, 44.6g Varget laupa cases 2.8OAL. Zerod 2 weeks ago w/ my std load @ 100yds 3 shot group .3"

So I bought 500 Nosler CC 175g to try out. I did not change any aspect of my reloading process, fire formed, neck sized w/ a lee neck sizer, and loaded with a RCBS comp seater die to 2.8"OAL.

Sunday 4-26-09. I shot 10 rounds of 175SMK @ steel 200-700 using my std dopes. Then shot 10 Nosler at same targets. The nosler shot exactly as the 175smks same dopes same shot placement.

I ended up shooting 50 of each and i noticed no difference between the two. Now I did not shoot paper so I can not give a proper group size but i will shortly. Based on my observation I wil be buying more of the nosler going forward as I was greatly imporessed with their results.

500 SMK @ midway $200 w/ shipping
500 Nosler @ midway w/ shipping $140 and in stock

Laz,
Now that makes sense,.LOL
Thanks!
wink.gif

I also bought 1000 168 NCC's to try out in the M1A. Way cheaper than the amax and sierra. Load is gonna be 42g RL15, WRL, 2.8"OAL, mixed brass mostly LC, and PMJ

I'm suprised to hear they are cheaper than Sierra or Hornady. I buy Amax because they cost half as much as Nosler BTs.