• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone try VV 24n41 in 408CT

shoepop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2005
Las Cruces, New Mexico
150 grains takes me to top of shoulder. Checking burn rate charts it looks doable. I will start low and chrono but if any info out there I would appreciate sharing/opinion's. I'm going to start with the RMB 420gr jacketed.

Re: Anyone try VV 24n41 in 408CT

Interesting and something I didn't consider. I guess there's a variety of powders you could use as long as they're in that "slow burning but not 50BMG slow" category. Pretty much everyone I talk to uses RL25, but I've heard of a few using Retumbo or MRP-2.

Accurate groups, around 250 fps lower velocity. Can't find my book... but i think that's correct.

Norma MRP-2 is available again and shot very well. I wouldn't hesitate to use it. http://www.bhshooters.com/index.htm you can get a dealer to get it here.

Looks like my load for the 419 Gr LRBT, XM2 brass with MRP-2 was 136 grains (don't start with this load, work up to it). Average velocity for large string was 2,911 FPS.

Can't find the VV 24n41 loads.

You might be able to get enough powder in them. I have used us869 in this and have had good results. I would start with 140 grains and work up from there. You need to keep the case close to full of powder for this ball powder likes to hang fire if you dont keep it close to full. You should be able to load as much as 150 grains but work up to it. I would start with the 20n29 around the same 140 grain area.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might be able to get enough powder in them. I have used us869 in this and have had good results. I would start with 140 grains and work up from there. You need to keep the case close to full of powder for this ball powder likes to hang fire if you dont keep it close to full. You should be able to load as much as 150 grains but work up to it. I would start with the 24n29 around the same 140 grain area. </div></div>

I loaded up a test batch and did start @ 140 jumped to 145. 150 would not compress W/O drop tube so didn't load I figure the 145 will tell me what I need to know. That is some big hard ass stick powder. I will be shooting over chrono next week range report to follow.

Clear on that, 24n41 is what I'm using.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might be able to get enough powder in them. I have used us869 in this and have had good results. I would start with 140 grains and work up from there. You need to keep the case close to full of powder for this ball powder likes to hang fire if you dont keep it close to full. You should be able to load as much as 150 grains but work up to it. I would start with the 24n29 around the same 140 grain area.</div></div>

I'm sure Bobby just had a typo, but don't confuse the VV24N41 with 20N29. The "29" is the slowest of the powders we have available. Both ARE big stick powders and may be difficult to get into the case. The "29" does not burn fully even in a 50BMG case behind an 800 grain bullet. Lots of powder granules and flame coming out the muzzle brake. VV24N41 and H50BMG are very similar in burn rate. US869 is slightly slower.

The US869 will be easier to get into the case being a ball powder, but as Bobby mentioned, it requires a good start to get it burning. Using the hottest primer available, and having lots of neck tension tends to help it get started properly.

I wish Kaltron would get some 570 in, as it would be great to have for both the 338LM and NM, plus the 408 & 375/408 rounds.

Finally had an the opportunity to test, no good. Hang fire one out of every 5 using fed mag primer. Could try a stronger primer but going to abandon. Accuracy was crap as was velocity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your getting HF with the federal 215's? If your using near a compressed load it should help get rid of that. </div></div>

Yes Fed 215's, the loads were compressed @ 150 grains, the powder diameter is huge. I had 2 hang's in 12 rounds and stopped. I figure powder is just to slow. Same lot of primers I use for 338LM without problem. Primer flash holes were debured prior to loading.