• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Anyone unable to mount a NF due to lapping ban?

David4570

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
I just received my new NF 4-16 ATACR F1 and NF Ultralight rings. I don't have the tools or experience to mount it and after seeing lots of videos, was a little surprised to see the NF ban on ring lapping. The gunsmith was told not to lap. His response was "We'll have to see after I check their alignment". I told him not to do the job if he didn't like the alignment because I didn't want to jeopardize the warranty.

This scope is hopefully going on a .308 Styer SSG69 with their slide on pic rail.

Are NF rings so good they never need alignment? What do I do if he returns the scope and rings because "they needed lapping" in his opinion. He seems to be very resected in this area.

In my opinion today's good rings brands (Badger, Seekins, Spurh, Vortex, ARC and even Burris XTR) don't need to be lapped. I have no experience with NF rings but assuming if they are as good as the scopes they produce won't need it too.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Its not the rings that are the issue, it's the base you mount them on.
If your receiver dimensions are off a bit, a one piece base may flex a little or a two piece base may be misaligned. The "fix" for this is to bed or shim the rear of the base until its aligned with the front. Lapping rings should be a last resort and only used for one piece mounts like Talley lightweights or any other one piece ring/base.

^^^^^^^^^^ 100%....If the action and base are true. I've never had to lap a set of NightForce, Seekins, Farrell, Badger etc.

Last edited:
I used to wonder if new rings needed lapped however after using Vortex, Seekins and Badger rings and bases and mounting scopes in and taking them out again without any problems I can't imagine needing to lap rings. When buying used rings I won't buy rings that have been lapped. At the price of even the mid level scopes I don't want to take a chance of someone's expertise in the area of lapping and chance damaging a $1000 to $3000 scope with used rings.

eh, i mean, theres really nothing magical to lapping here.......and theres really nothing magical about a warranty either.

look at it like free floating a barrel.......if you buy a stock, and the barrel touches a bit.....are you going to be concerend about the warranty?.....or are you going to grab some sand paper and file it down slightly?

same applies to rings......they are just hunks of steel/ aluminum......if they need to be lapped.....just lap them

i have a set of badger rings.....and they have a "no lap" policy either........well i lapped them anyways........havent had a problem, work great.

the reason these companies have a "no lap" policy is because they dont know whos doing the work.......they dont know if it a pro gunsmith lapping properly....or bubba- joe and some 80grit sandpaper.

Only cause 2 people mentioned Badger, I have never used a pair of Badger steel rings that did not require lapping. Maybe just my bad luck of the draw but I know others share the sentiment.

Well before you pull out the angle grinder and starting shifting steel... have you checked whether the rings are in fact aligned? There are enough tools out there that will do this and your gunsmith should have one.

The whole concept of voiding the warranty on NF rings is ridiculous. What can possibly happen to them that would require warranty service? Do NF rings break? Do they wear out? Do they have a service life? Why are you worried about voiding the warranty on $150 rings when you are mounting a $2500 scope?

Thanks for the reassurances guys. I hope Styer machined a true pic rail to slide on their dove tail type groves on their receiver. It doesn't allow for bedding as a normal rail would. I did loosely put the bottom rings on the rail to ensure I'd have enough eye relief before bringing them and the scope to the smith. The scope seemed to float smoothly in the bottoms but that isn't a very good test.

I do care about the warranty as I don't have the kind of spending allowance some here seem to have. This NF is replacing a 10x42 Kahles that I believe came with the rifle when new. I bought it about 30 years ago with it all set up and looking like a bubba scarred the tube up pretty bad. I never shot it until recently other than to sight it in several years back.

I stretched the budget to get this scope on a LE purchase and waited 3 months for it. I hope this smith follows my instructions to abandon the project if he feels lapping is necessary. I'll figure something out.

You don't understand.

NF rings will never require warranty service. Lap away if you want.

The whole concept of voiding the warranty on NF rings is ridiculous. What can possibly happen to them that would require warranty service? Do NF rings break? Do they wear out? Do they have a service life? Why are you worried about voiding the warranty on $150 rings when you are mounting a $2500 scope?

It's to keep retards from lapping their Nightforce rings to the point where the $2500 scope slips under recoil and said retard trying to blame NF for it.

Only cause 2 people mentioned Badger, I have never used a pair of Badger steel rings that did not require lapping. Maybe just my bad luck of the draw but I know others share the sentiment.

i can only speak in my case, but my badger ring didnt actually need to be lapped for alignment, they were pretty much spot on (mounted to a badger rail).......i only lapped mine to ensure they were making full contact, which they were, all i had to do was lap enough to remove the finish.

eh, i mean, theres really nothing magical to lapping here.......and theres really nothing magical about a warranty either.

look at it like free floating a barrel.......if you buy a stock, and the barrel touches a bit.....are you going to be concerend about the warranty?.....or are you going to grab some sand paper and file it down slightly?

same applies to rings......they are just hunks of steel/ aluminum......if they need to be lapped.....just lap them

i have a set of badger rings.....and they have a "no lap" policy either........well i lapped them anyways........havent had a problem, work great.

the reason these companies have a "no lap" policy is because they dont know whos doing the work.......they dont know if it a pro gunsmith lapping properly....or bubba- joe and some 80grit sandpaper.

This is an excellent reply.

Boys...no one is or should be lapping rings in this decade. If ring alignment is off you have issues and lapping is not fixing the issue. It's compensating for it. Buy quality products and there is no lapping

Sorry, but totally disagree with this. Wide open blanket statement. I'm not buying it. I've seen combinations of Badger, Nightforce and Leupold that needed it, even in this decade..

My Badger steel rings needed lapping because the parkerized finish was so thick the scope tube didn't fit. It wasn't an alignment issue. It was an ID/OD fit issue. Second, rails are seldom perfectly straight. There is always some curvature due to warpage. Judicious lapping protects the scope tube. But the best solution is a Spuhr ring mount.

I expect NF is pretty self assured that they won't have ID/OD issues if their rings are used on their scopes when they issue a lapping prohibition. But I acknowledge all things made have tolerance issues. I guess we'll see if these rings, this scope and Styer's rail stack up correctly.

I wish someone from NF will sees this and tell me what to do if they don't fit w/o lapping, otherwise I be in contact with Sonny, their LE sales rep for sure.

I got a call from the smith after lunch today and he was able to mount this NF without needing to have the rings lapped. I left work early and have it home, waiting until range day. This NF looks like a monster compared to the old Kahles with its 1" tube and tiny turrets. Happy Days ahead.