• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone use a freeze dyer?

lariat

Two Star General
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2018
Thinking about getting one for various garden items and other foodstuffs. Wondering if anyone here has experience with them.

Most just use rubber bands and vats of color… not sure where the freezing comes in.

6AE9D6D8-08C8-4D39-80A9-FD04A83C115F.jpeg

I’ve got a Harvest right. We use it quite a bit.

For the most part yes. That said, I have some electrical problems and have been able to repair them myself. Worth it?we have put up about 25 totes of food since we have had it, go figure what that would cost to buy. Plus on readymade meals, you always get what you like. At times we make extra large batches of things, eat what we want and freeze dry the rest. After awhile you have a nice selection of freeze dried meals for those times you don’t want to cook or just one person wants to eat.

First off, that my damn shirt and I want it back. Second, I knew I could count on you to start cracking jokes when Im trying to be all serious.

You wear that shirt when your letting cannon balls fly?
Nope… I use them as targets!

On a serious note, I use an Excalibur dehydrator and love it. Not a freeze-dryer.

Sirhr

Reactions: quietmike
For the most part yes. That said, I have some electrical problems and have been able to repair them myself. Worth it?we have put up about 25 totes of food since we have had it, go figure what that would cost to buy. Plus on readymade meals, you always get what you like. At times we make extra large batches of things, eat what we want and freeze dry the rest. After awhile you have a nice selection of freeze dried meals for those times you don’t want to cook or just one person wants to eat.
you mind sharing some pics and details of some of this? Very curious here, especially of the 'meals' as opposed to our years of 'canning' primary ingredients.

Quick question: can you freeze dry stew and soups or is that too wet?

We have a harvest right, and we love it. You can freeze dry pretty much everything. We make bigger batches of stuff and freeze dry half of it sometimes. We haven’t had any issues with ours yet.

You can even freeze dry chili!

Reactions: Redheeler
High fat content food (ie: bacon & butter) do not freeze dry well, and should be avoided.

My biggest problem is if I freeze dry 5lb of strawberries my kids eat them before they go into storage.

Yes, soups and stews are good to go. The wetter foods will take more time. Stew is probably a better candidate than soup.

Freeze dried cheddar cheese cubes taste like Cheetos and they are amazing.

We have a harvest right, and we love it. You can freeze dry pretty much everything. We make bigger batches of stuff and freeze dry half of it sometimes. We haven’t had any issues with ours yet.

You can even freeze dry chili!

Chili without beans….

High fat content food (ie: bacon & butter) do not freeze dry well, and should be avoided.

My biggest problem is if I freeze dry 5lb of strawberries my kids eat them before they go into storage.

Yes, soups and stews are good to go. The wetter foods will take more time. Stew is probably a better candidate than soup.
My parents bought a harvest right about a year ago and you're dead on about the strawberries lol. My 4yo loves them. The freeze dried bananas are quite tasty as well.

My mom has been wearing that sucker out for about a year now and it's still going strong. They did spend a little extra though and got the upgraded pump.

Cool thing about having your own freeze drier is you can make the food you like/want to eat.

I did not buy the upgraded pump. Yo add the pump at a later date was the same price as the upgrade, so I didn’t see the need at the “start up” point.

Reactions: XP1K
Quick question: can you freeze dry stew and soups or is that too wet?
Sure, we have even freeze dried soup(you don’t end up with much though). We do freeze dry the excess eggs that our chickens lay. Far superior to store bought dried eggs.

Reactions: oneshot86
you mind sharing some pics and details of some of this? Very curious here, especially of the 'meals' as opposed to our years of 'canning' primary ingredients.
You can literally freeze dry any meal you like. Anything you buy in store or online that is freeze dried you can do but better because it is to your liking, not a commercial recipe. Like that has been said, just make a larger batch than normal and pop it in the drier. Right now we are doing stuff out of the garden, beets, carrots tomatoes, potatoes, garlic, onions, etc. I have even done bacon but I don’t know the long term results personally yet. First you freeze dry it right out of the package, then cook it, then dry it again. Tried some that has aged for about 6 mo. And it still was good and tastes like bacon.