• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Anyone use a Votex Spotting Scope?

Re: Anyone use a Votex Spotting Scope?

I've heard good things, never looked through one though.

I would call Doug at www.cameralandny.com and Scott at www.libertyoptics.com to ask their opinions.

Both are hide sponsors and will give you a NO BS answer on if they think it's the best glass for the money. They also will quote you better than advertised pricing when you call, so mention you're a SH.com member.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very goog to know, I just bought a Seekonk from Scott. </div></div>

Huh?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joeyhotfizzle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very goog to know, I just bought a Seekonk from Scott. </div></div>

Huh? </div></div>

Excuse me, typo, Very good to know, I just bought a Seekonk from Scott

my dad just got the one he won from scott at liberty optics its the vortex hd 20-60 x 85mm objective, and its an outstanding scope. can't wait to get it next to my friends swaro and compare.

If they are on par with the Vortex Viper binoculars, I would say they are GTG. Was very impressed with the Vipers I had. Check Scotts website, I think he had a review on there. If not, call him. He will definitely shoot you straight.

FWIW, about a year and a half ago I looked at the Skyline 20-60x80 ED scope and was severely disappointed with the view. Even looked through a second one to make sure. Same results! Seemed like many other less costly alternatives outperformed this particular Vortex model.

Here is a link to a 2008 scope review from the Cornell birding community. Keep in mind birders are always pickier about their glass than shooters. Good luck to you!

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=272&srcid=667

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pell1203</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FWIW, about a year and a half ago I looked at the Skyline 20-60x80 ED scope and was severely disappointed with the view. Even looked through a second one to make sure. Same results! Seemed like many other less costly alternatives outperformed this particular Vortex model.

Here is a link to a 2008 scope review from the Cornell birding community. Keep in mind birders are always pickier about their glass than shooters. Good luck to you!

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=272&srcid=667

</div></div>

Very good read, I actually have started to look at the Vixen Geoma II now, about the same price. Unfortunately I am no where to actually see one.

Well I spoke to Neil at Camera Land Inc, very helpfull guy. He directed me to the Special Purchase Vortex 20-60x 80 he has. According to him Vortex produced about 600 of these under the Nomad line, then terminated the line because they didn't want to compete with their own Skyline. Price is on $199.99, I was bit leary so I called Vortex. They confirmed and said they were suppose to retail at $499.00, but because of the direct competition with their Skyline the discontinued it. Seems like a good deal, I will see if they hold up as good as I have heard.

I ordered one a while back and I was disappointed for sure.I made the mistake of comparing it to my friends Zeiss 15-45x60.I sent it back immediately and rethought how much $ I was going to spend on a spotting scope.Ended up with a Pentax PF-100ED and now I'm glad I spent the money.

Steve

I purchased a Nomad on sale at $199 a great scope for a greater price. I have spent about 4 hours scoring people shooting at 600 yards and there has been little to no fatique. Clear optics at a good price.