• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone use an AI AXMC for 6.5 PRC ?

captdan

Private
Minuteman
May 9, 2009
I recently bought an Accuracy International AXMC in 300WM. Love the gun and enjoying the 300WM. I also recently ordered a 6.5 PRC barrel for the gun but have ran into some concerns. ( don't have the barrel yet for testing).

The 6.5 PRC fits inside the 300WM, but due to the short length I have a feeling they may move around during recoil. Alpha makes a mag that takes the 6.5 PRC ( 300 WSM), but that mag does not fit in the AI AXMC short action adapter. So, I'm looking at making a spacer in the front of the mag from solid plastic bar stock. I'd have to cut down the mag follower but it looks doable.

I'm curious if anyone here has in fact done some sort of adaptation to a 300WM magazine, or does the 6.5 PRC indeed feed ok when operating in the AI AXMC platform?

Thanks

I recently bought an Accuracy International AXMC in 300WM. Love the gun and enjoying the 300WM. I also recently ordered a 6.5 PRC barrel for the gun but have ran into some concerns. ( don't have the barrel yet for testing).

The 6.5 PRC fits inside the 300WM, but due to the short length I have a feeling they may move around during recoil. Alpha makes a mag that takes the 6.5 PRC ( 300 WSM), but that mag does not fit in the AI AXMC short action adapter. So, I'm looking at making a spacer in the front of the mag from solid plastic bar stock. I'd have to cut down the mag follower but it looks doable.

I'm curious if anyone here has in fact done some sort of adaptation to a 300WM magazine, or does the 6.5 PRC indeed feed ok when operating in the AI AXMC platform?

Thanks
Wouldn't be any different than 6br nodded aics mag. I found the spacer worked best, with 6br, in the rear of mag.

Well this was a 6br in aics mag, not 6.5prc in 300wm mag. Not sure a direct measurement would apply. I used a .425" long spacer and a completely different follower and spring. The ai spring, when compressed, needs the complete front to back distance. That's why I used a different follower and coil spring in 6br.

Reactions: captdan
Well this was a 6br in aics mag, not 6.5prc in 300wm mag. Not sure a direct measurement would apply. I used a .425" long spacer and a completely different follower and spring. The ai spring, when compressed, needs the complete front to back distance. That's why I used a different follower and coil spring in 6br.
Ok, I got ya.. good point. I know someone out there is shooting a 6.5 prc in an axmc. Hawk hill makes the conversion barrels and I doubt Shawn would be doing so for a conversion that doesn't work - or feed. I'll have my barrel soon and will know first hand. Was just trying to get a jump on any mag adjustments needed before hand. I've got an idea on how to modify the 300wm mag, but with hopes I won't need to.