• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone use M855A1 for hogs?

TheHorta

Nest-stirring pot-poker.
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 17, 2014
    NO AL
    NOT talking regular, old 855 “Green Tip” (obviously) but the new A1 EPR. Stuff is gnarly but I don’t have any hogs up here that aren’t our own on our farm (they come right up to me, so shooting them isn’t much fun).

I’m thinking the penetration and fragmentation of A1 would be perfect, but haven’t seen anyone use it.

Probably not many using it on hogs. I haven’t seen any available for purchase. Why?

Oh…
    IMG_5885.jpg

I need this codeword stat

Last edited:
    NOT talking regular, old 855 “Green Tip” (obviously) but the new A1 EPR. Stuff is gnarly but I don’t have any hogs up here that aren’t our own on our farm (they come right up to me, so shooting them isn’t much fun).

I’m thinking the penetration and fragmentation of A1 would be perfect, but haven’t seen anyone use it.
    I have. There is a thread about this below. I have not had noticeable difference in first shot kills with different ammunition. I have shot them with 55s to 77s and several in between. Because pigs are really tough, it is more about shot placement. My hunting group thinks the right answer is to go bigger (.308).

Not M855A1, but I initially started removing hogs with Mk 318 Mod 0 (the USMC stuff). It works great on opening shots - as should the M855A1 - but did not turn into Thor's hammer when I hit runners. I did kill a ~250lb mostly Russian Boar with a double lung, but I shot it at 0300 in the morning and didn't look in the woods for it until 5PM (it had made it about 90 yards). That Mk 318 bullet comes apart pretty violently as well, with the base continuing to punch a hole.

I did see a noticeable improvement in killing running hogs when I switched to 6.8 from 5.56. It just is what it is.

It didn't keep me from finding and scoring 3K more Mk 318 bullets though. Think I paid about $250/1K for them in 2019. If I had known what they would have been bringing in late 2020 I'd have bought 10K more.

I also have 1K Mk 319 bullets to try in the .308 on hogs someday.

Reactions: LRRPF52 and tucaz

So definitely not "apples to apples", but I thought the same thing about the Lehigh Defense Controlled Chaos bullets. I tried a box in a 6.5 Grendel, and got very mixed results. The bullets did exactly what they were supposed to (violent initial fragmentation and deep penetration from the base).

It worked fantastic on CNS shots. Broke the spine just as well as any all copper bullet I've tried. The problem that I found was that the penetration of all of those fragments just didn't get deep enough to really jack up the internal organs of the hogs I was shooting. The end result on "boiler-room" shoots were hogs that took of and kept running. To make matters worse, the base absolutely penetrates fantastically...but you are just punching an ice-pick wound with it as soon as you lose all of the fragments.

I had thought that they were going to be the greatest thing on earth. It turns out that they do a little of everything, but nothing really well.

I would not use this design again for hunting (I will probably test the Mk 319 at some point, but my hopes aren't high). They probably work better than most other designs in frontal human shots though...but I have no experience with that (and hope not to).

As always, YMMV.

Why not to use .50 BMG, AP round for wild boar hunt instead?
    I think it will be more effective:rolleyes:

Been yote hunting with my 107 and MK211, but seems like they always know when I’m armed. When just out and about, yotes will just about run me over. When I’m hunting, they stay away.

Pretty sure I have a leak in my house.

Been yote hunting with my 107 and MK211, but seems like they always know when I’m armed. When just out and about, yotes will just about run me over. When I’m hunting, they stay away.

Maybe it’s a “mole”, and he is telling the other barnyard animals

Reactions: TheHorta

Did you see the youtube vid just recently where they were hunting yotes with a 107? I mean it was red mist city on thermal.

• Love
    Reactions: Na5 and TheHorta