• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

anyone use savage target actions 4 long range buil

skeetlee

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Central Illinois
First off i have to admit that i do not care for the way the savage action looks or feels but i do like the fact that i can buy a savage target action with right bolt left feed for 450 bucks + another 100 to have it blue printed. that's 550 for an action and ok trigger. My question is will this action shoot as good as say a trued rem 700? I am still considering a custom action but with my young family and a shooting addiction i am not sure i can swing 8-900 bucks just for the action and bolt. I really like the idea of right bolt left feed for some reason. Have any of you guys built good shooting rifles on these savage actions? Or are they a waste of time and money? Thanks guys I know i am always full of questions, but what else can i say except,( I am an addict and my name is Lee!)

Re: anyone use savage target actions 4 long range

Like the Savage actions and prefer them over the 700 action. I am having a Shilen 22" 1.25" OD stainless match barrel installed on a Savage extra heavy stainless varmint action. Savage Gunsmithing is going to do the work.

GC

Midway USA has them on sale.

GC

Target actions - single shot are for sale thru certain vendors, but 4rds DBM target actions are not for sale by itself, you have to buy the whole rifle. I bought my Savage LRPV DBM in 22-250, not available in .308, so I rebarreled to .308; now mine is a .308 4rds DBM system.

Here mine and link to my build on ar15.com

LRPV custom build

12prec_1.jpg

Max,
I think OP was referring to Target action (solid top, used by Savage for their Palma, 1000yards comp. rifle w/ 30" barrels), and you're refering to the varmint action (open top), which is about the same as Savage's standard action.

My custom build is a solid-top Target action, I am sure the Target action w/ DBM is not sold anywhere by itself.

Pics of my solid-top Target action:

12prec_6.jpg

12prec_7.jpg

12prec_5.jpg

similar to Lawton's 7000 custom action:
gap7000.jpg

I missed the word target in his post.

GC

I have built 2 rifles from the Savage Target Actions. These are the single shot right bolt left port. First one has a 260 shilen barrel and is a 1/2 MOA shooter. Second one has 6.5x47L rock barrel and I'm just developing loads for it. Big advantage of these is that like all savages you can install the barrel yourself. Disadvantage is that stocks for these 3 screw actions are hard to get. Only manufacture is HS Precision and they won't sell them by themselves. Although they can be gotten from certain dealers. Manners will build a stock for them. Wood stocks are easier to get but I prefer composite stocks.

Kevin @ Stockade sells stocks for these as does SSS. So does Joe Russel.

Manners made me a T4 stock for my Savage 3 bolt target action. Its a 6.5 x 47lap and sit shoot s really good.

What exactly do they do when they "blueprint" a Savage action? It's got a floating bolt head...

Truing a Savage action (blueprinting it) is the same as on a Remington... except that it's a waste of $$$ 99% of the time on a Savage, because of the floating bolthead partly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Truing a Savage action (blueprinting it) is the same as on a Remington... except that it's a waste of $$$ 99% of the time on a Savage, because of the floating bolthead partly. </div></div>
Not to disagree but this is partially true, the lugs seats cant be too far off before the floating head cant compensate. Also if they are, along with the face of the action are cut off axis then you will have cartridge misalignment to the bore. The Savage "target" actions have been very consistant and better than most production actions from what I have been able to find out. I have seen some of them shoot very good in stock trim even before a tune up.

Re: anyone use savage target actions 4 long range buil

I'm about to build one so I'll let you know. My plan is

Savage 12 Target Action
Broughton 30" 1:10 twist in .308, #8 Contour
Sharp Shooter Supply Dog Tracker stock w/adj recoil pad and cheek piece

Sharp will do the finish work on the barrel and assembly... for $X amount. Ahhh! $X amount. Very good.

I wish i had the funds for another Target action as Ive got a Brux 7mm just waiting to be chambered in .284 Win in a Manners T5 stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VjjR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anybody milled out a 3 screw action to make it a repeater? </div></div>

Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of a 3 screw action? You can buy a Stevens for around 200 bucks.

Check with northland shooters supply over at savage shooters.com he lists a repeating target action only on the board

no, you still get a lot of meat on the top of the action for strength. I would buy a repeating target action but want a stainless one

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First off i have to admit that i do not care for the way the savage action looks or feels but i do like the fact that i can buy a savage target action with right bolt left feed for 450 bucks + another 100 to have it blue printed. that's 550 for an action and ok trigger. My question is will this action shoot as good as say a trued rem 700? I am still considering a custom action but with my young family and a shooting addiction i am not sure i can swing 8-900 bucks just for the action and bolt. I really like the idea of right bolt left feed for some reason. Have any of you guys built good shooting rifles on these savage actions? Or are they a waste of time and money? Thanks guys I know i am always full of questions, but what else can i say except,( I am an addict and my name is Lee!) </div></div>

You say blueprinted for an addition $100. I know people blueprint remington type bolt heads, but since the Savage bolt head floats to self-align isn't that part of it's design? Seems like you could be wasting your money.

I like your signature. Hopefully the 14 million currently unemployed who would not have to miss work will not have to attend another Obama inauguration.

do any business with SSS, sharp shooter supply expecting to get lied to and possibly cheated, the work/ products are good but all other aspects are not, search multiple threads on this for details, any other choices would have to be better