• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone use Win 760 powder before?

Coldfuzion

Serviens
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2013
Greeneville, TN
Since its next to impossible for me to find any Varget or RL-15 out there at the moment I am looking for alternates. I checked my Hornady 9th edition book and it has Win 760 listed which I found some in stock. Has anyone experienced this powder in accurate loads using SMK 175's in .308? Looking to work up some loads up to 1000m and don't want to waste the time or money if its going to be crap. *Tried to search of course but nothing came up on the hide, some of the results from other forums were lacking to say the least.

Thanks,
Cold

I used W760 many years ago when I first started shooting long range. I used it with 168s for the shorter ranges (to 300 yds) and 190s for the longer ranges. If I remember correctly, it shot well up to 600 yards but I could not get it to group beyond that. Never did figure out why. I was loading for both me and my wife so could not afford the time to weigh each charge.

Last edited:
W760 is a ball powder, on par with the burn rate of 4350.

You could use that powder... just check hodgdon's numbers for starting and max loads. They call for 46 to 49 grains (49 is max)...

I would use a magnum primer, if you have any.

Dan

Dan

Your right, its a ball powder, its been a long time since I used it. It shot great to 600 yards but I could not get a good group beyond that. I even discussed with Winchester technicians and couldnt figure out what was wrong. It wasnt the gun because I switched to other powders and it worked fine.

If you cant find RE15 or Varget get yourself some 2000MR or CFE223.

When I've checked PV for powders, W760 is sometimes available when other more commonly used powders are not. Given our current availability situation, I can understand the OP and others trying more "obscure" powders just to be able to shoot.

I picked up 8lbs of the Win 760 to give it a shot, worst case it gets me by for awhile till production is caught up. I've tried to find some 2000MR and CFE223 as well as AR-COMP but can't find any.

On a side note lol, Primers as rare as they are now anyone have any experience with TULA Large Rifle Magmum primers? I heard they are identical to wolf and a lot of people have had ignition problems upwards of 10%. At this point I'm just looking for components to get me by for now and work on a better more accurate load later. Refuse to deal with ripoffbroker.com.

Last edited:
Win 760 is also rebadged as H-414, so the two powders are for all intents and purposes, identical, save for typical lot-to-lot variations and both are suitable ball powders for the .308 Win cartridge. Speer likes to use a magnum primer for all of its rifle data when using ball powders, so you might consider doing so, as well.

Chris

I've had good results with w-760 and 168's at 100 yards. That's actually what I shot today. Seems to be the only powder around these parts right now. I haven't tried it beyond 100.

I had very good results with my 22-250 Weatherby Vanguard purchased 2019. I was using a Sierra 60 gr HP flat base and 38 gr WIN 760 for about 3300 fps. Groups at 75 yds out of a clean bbl were very good. Have not tried it at longer ranges yet. In the included pic, grids are half inch. Shows five shots with a tight knot of four.

Attachments

• EDCB843C-100D-4080-8FCD-ECD7AB948108.jpeg
    EDCB843C-100D-4080-8FCD-ECD7AB948108.jpeg
    471.2 KB · Views: 192
FWIW, Win 760 is a sleeper for the 123 grain weight in the 6.5 Creedmoor, outstanding velocities and accuracy for me. Also used lots of it in the .30-06 with 150 partitions years ago.

Reactions: fanninland
FWIW, Win 760 is a sleeper for the 123 grain weight in the 6.5 Creedmoor, outstanding velocities and accuracy for me. Also used lots of it in the .30-06 with 150 partitions years ago.
That’s good to know ... thanks ... I have both those calibers so I will try those.

W760 is reported as somewhat better suited to bullets 150gr and up (308). W748 has somewhat similar characteristics, and is reported to be better suited to the lighter weights (110gr and up to 150gr). I am seriously considering getting W760 myself.

"Common Knowledge" suggests using Magnum primers with Winchester Ball Powders like these, and many report that regular primers worked fine. YMMV. Avoid compressed loads, avoid max loads, and avoid hotloading with any powder; it does not pay off in the long run.

Ball Powders are also reported as being temp sensitive; I.e., they can get rowdy when the heat is up there. Having had some experience with this, I believe 'em. I would never use max charges with them, and doubly so on hotter days. They are also reputed to be "dirty", and often required a bit more cleaning.

But they also meter very well (leading to better consistency for longer reloading runs), and can be versatile "fallback" powders when times are tough and components are limited. While many here insist on optimal loads, whatever that means; these can be useful to those who are looking for a simpler common answer to several of the more common questions. Note: optimal loads often vary with the weather.

W760 was the powder Uncle Sugar put into the 30-06 when the Marines took The War in the Pacific to the Japanese in WWII. In those days before the more modern Wonder Powders were available, W748 and W760 were a big segment of the reloading market. Older solutions still work when used in connection with the older caveats. (Avoid max loads, use reasonable caution on hotter days). I'm considering W760 for my 28" .260 and 140gr bullets.

Reloading does not need to be as complex as many make it; but a solid knowledge of handloading wisdom will seldom fail you. Such knowledge leads off in most modern reloading manuals..., READ IT!

Greg

PS: Powders possessing within 5% equivalent burn rates. Read the included note! Australian Munitions (and I) cannot accept any responsibility for the use of this information in any way.

Last edited:
Win 760 is also rebadged as H-414, so the two powders are for all intents and purposes, identical, save for typical lot-to-lot variations and both are suitable ball powders for the .308 Win cartridge. Speer likes to use a magnum primer for all of its rifle data when using ball powders, so you might consider doing so, as well.

Chris
The original Winchester ball powders W748 and W760 (and probably others) use a deterrent coating, probably something similar to graphite. This coating regulates the ignition burn rate of the individual powder kernels. It's also a dry bore lube, and tends not to be consumed in the charge burn. This results in it being called 'dirty' burning.

As a deterrent, it's pretty effective, and needs a primer with greater 'brisance'; meaning it burns brighter and hotter, much the same as many expect a magnum primer to burn. It is pretty much matched to the deterrence in the W748 and W760 kernel coatings, and this as the combination I use when I can.

Greg

I've used a lot of 760 in the 30/06 and the 270 Win. It made very accurate hunting ammo. A very good powder that is over looked today. As others have said, H-414 is the exact same powder. Downside it is temperature sensitive as with most other ball powders, but it can be used as a replacement for powders in the 4350 burn speed. Nothing wrong with it as long as you don't over load it in the heat.

The use of graphite as a kernel coating goes all the way back. Graphite was the logical choice because it is also an electrical conductor.

This feature allows static electrical charges due to agitation to equalize during transport; preventing them from discharging as sparks.

Such discharges can be disastrous.

Greg