• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone used 168 gr Hornady Match BTHPs in their '03?

ChrisBCS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2014
Was at Cabelas and snatched up a box... because it's what they had.

I've been using 155 gr A-Max pretty satisfactorily, but these were in stock with no shipping, so I figured I'd give them a whirl. Anyone used them? Gonna put IMR 4064 (because it's what I have) behind them.

My partner uses them in his 1903A4. He has good success with them. I get a little better accuracy with SMK's, but I don't think you'll be too disappointed with the Hornadys.

HRF

I find them to shoot about as good as the 155gr. Nosler's in a couple of my 03's and a little better in a couple others. Any 175gr. shoots best in most of my 03's. I am sure 4064 will shoot those 155gr. pretty good, but I have been using 4895.

I have shot their commercial match with 168 Amax, and it shot pretty good. However, as others have said, the 175 SMK's have proven to be excellent. I push mine with RL 19, but will work up a load with IMR 4064, or IMR 4895 when my RL 19 is out (2lbs left).

I use Horn. 168 A-man in my 'a4 pushed by 26.5 gr of 4064. Win. Brass and Win LR primers. Works great. But I'm finding the brass from CMP's Greek ammo works great too. I have a ton of it and lots more to be turned into brass.

I still have 3 boxes of the A-Max and grab what I can find. I just picked up 500 SMK 168s, they shoot just about as good in my rifles.

My barrel is a (un-issued) 2 grove barrel from '43.

I use Horn. 168 A-man in my 'a4 pushed by 26.5 gr of 4064. Win. Brass and Win LR primers. Works great. But I'm finding the brass from CMP's Greek ammo works great too. I have a ton of it and lots more to be turned into brass.

I still have 3 boxes of the A-Max and grab what I can find. I just picked up 500 SMK 168s, they shoot just about as good in my rifles.

My barrel is a (un-issued) 2 grove barrel from '43.

Kraig, 26.5?? Forgive me, but isn't the starting load 47 gr for 4064?

Hornady list 41.8 as the starting load for the '06 and 41.4 for the Garand using 4064. But I'm of the opinion reloading guides are just that, Guides, I rather go by what my rifle tells me it likes.

46.5 is a mid range load. I've never seen the need for max. velocities in any of my rifles, mild loads are easier on my gun and me, and are normally more accurate.

But like I said, the rifle is the best judge of what load works in my opinion.

Hornady list 41.8 as the starting load for the '06 and 41.4 for the Garand using 4064. But I'm of the opinion reloading guides are just that, Guides, I rather go by what my rifle tells me it likes.

46.5 is a mid range load. I've never seen the need for max. velocities in any of my rifles, mild loads are easier on my gun and me, and are normally more accurate.

But like I said, the rifle is the best judge of what load works in my opinion.

I get, now, that you meant 46.5 NOT 26.5.. LOL! Good thread, and may have to see about some of these bullets.

Sorry, my proof reading sucks more then my spelling and typing. Yes 46.5.

Anyone used Varget? I tried it because that's what I had on hand...perhaps not the best for .30/06...I tried 46 gr to 46.5 gr in HXP brass with both 168 SMK and 178 AMAXs and none shot particularly well. I had better results with the HXP surplus out of the spam can.

Thinking I should invest in some 4064 and try again.

Never tried varget in 06. The good news is 4064 seems to available. I would load in a few lbs. Its good in .308, 7.7 arisaka and others. I personally have had good results with rl19, which can also be found, if you are patient.

Anyone used Varget? I tried it because that's what I had on hand...perhaps not the best for .30/06...I tried 46 gr to 46.5 gr in HXP brass with both 168 SMK and 178 AMAXs and none shot particularly well. I had better results with the HXP surplus out of the spam can.

Thinking I should invest in some 4064 and try again.

Yes I have, and actually in many ways prefer it. The main reason I have been using 4895 is that Varget was difficult to find for a while.

Varget shoots good out of my '03 and out of my Garand like a champ. I like 175 SMKs for the 03A4 and 168 gr match bullets for the garand

Last edited:
For the Garand I use 46.2 gr of Varget and 168gr speer match bullets.

excellent. I bought a ton of Varget in October of 2012, and aside from Unique, it is the only powder I have because of what happened. I've had a pile of 30/06 brass just sitting around waiting for me to get the time and the powder.

Of course, now the only bullets in stock in AK are 220gr Hornady roundnoses.

what I wouldn't do for some 4831.
KHHHHAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!