• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone used hi-tek coated bullets for 300 blackout subs?

bllistc

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2019
Just getting into reloading 300 blackout and found these:

Anyone used these or similar bullets before? I've used coated bullets for 9mm in the past but just wondering if theres anything I need to know for shooting these suppressed through an AR. This would just be subsonic plinking loads.

Here is some in stock

I run berrys 220s with good results and also 190 subx Hornady both work great.

I bought 1000 bullets for a test before. Mine were coated, not plated like Berry's.

My impression is they shoot fine but there is definitely a learning curve for reloading coated bullets.

If you want subs I would make sure your bullet weight is over 220 grains. Heavier than that even.

The reason why I say that is a coated bullet will have a lot more velocity than a jacketed bullet of the same weight. Pure lead will expand more in the barrel and wind up with higher velocity.

If you get bullets over 220 grain you can use a lot more of a variety of powders, whereas the lighter you go your choices go down a whole lot (if you are aiming for subsonic ammo).

In other words if you got a 220 grain load with a jacketed bullet that was subsonic, with the same load using a 220 grain coated bullet would most likely be supersonic still.

Also you really need to load the rounds carefully. You will need to bell the case mouths and crimp afterwards. Also you will need to play with seating depth.

With a soft lead projectile you can get lead shavings in your chamber as the rounds are fired. When you get it right it won't happen, but until you have proven that it's not happening you really want to take it slow. A lead ring can lead to a dangerous kaboom situation.

Overall once everything is dialed in it's fine. Just take it slow for the first few hundred rounds and it will be ok.

Reactions: bllistc
Thanks for the replies fellas. I'm just gonna go with the berrys. Ive been looking for the 190 sub-x bullets but cant find them in stock anywhere

Reactions: Sniperwannabee
BTW I don’t ever crimp and have had 0 problems shooting subs in a suppressed ar pistol
Are you shooting cast and coated bullets as was asked by the OP?

This isn't about crimping. It's about belling the mouth of the case out to be able to seat a cast lead bullet without damaging the projectile. If you bell the mouth of the case out you need to crimp it back into place so that it will feed properly. That however is not the topic here.

I don't crimp either, except when I have to as I just described.

Are you shooting cast and coated bullets as was asked by the OP?

This isn't about crimping. It's about belling the mouth of the case out to be able to seat a cast lead bullet without damaging the projectile. If you bell the mouth of the case out you need to crimp it back into place so that it will feed properly. That however is not the topic here.

I don't crimp either, except when I have to as I just described.
I recommend shooting berry 220 grain so I was just emphasizing you don’t need to crimp making it a good choice

I recommend shooting berry 220 grain so I was just emphasizing you don’t need to crimp making it a good choice
Is Berry's a cast and coated bullet?

The question was asked about cast and coated bullets. You responded to comments about cast and coated bullets saying that you did not need to crimp for those types of bullets.

But you are not talking about cast and coated bullets. You're talking about something else entirely. A plated bullet is not a cast and coated bullet. They are not the same thing.

Is Berry's a cast and coated bullet?

The question was asked about cast and coated bullets. You responded to comments about cast and coated bullets saying that you did not need to crimp for those types of bullets.

But you are not talking about cast and coated bullets. You're talking about something else entirely. A plated bullet is not a cast and coated bullet. They are not the same thing.
My response was to his decision to go with berrys bullets in post #8