• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Anyone Used the BAT VRPIC They add some clearance

pc3

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 26, 2008
Australia
Has anyone used the BAT VRPIC action ? spoke with BAT and they said the repater clearance is a little more than the bench actions.

Was unaware that the bolt handles are Brazed and pinned on BAT VRPICS not integral, there was a reason why he stated they do that (I dont feel its entirely to with economics as BAT seem to do everything very well) but he said not be concerned "its never coming off". The rail and lug is howvever integral on this model.

I have a couple of surgeons and just wanted to try something different, and I have felt a BAT and they are SMOOTH. Also While I will use a manners stock for this build I dont intend to go entirely with the "tactical look"

I suppose I just have to ensure I keep it cleaner !!

Re: Anyone Used the BAT VRPIC They add some clearance

No one here used this action?

Re: Anyone Used the BAT VRPIC They add some cleara

A guy with the moniker "redmist" used a BAT in a build. I have linked his post. Check out his profile and send him a PM. He hasn't been online since 24 DEC, but you might get something. As a general rule, any talk I have heard about BAT actions for field use where they may encounter debris has been to give them a couple thou more clearance.

Linky

Josh

pc3,

Just found a thread by doing a search of the hide on google. The question was answered here Looks like the Varmint Repeater is opened up another thousandth vs the benchrest actions.

Josh

Ya, that was my thread. I looked hard at the BAT action and decided to stick with a Surgeon for the following reasons:

1. One-piece bolt. It may not ever be an issue, but still nice to eliminate a potential issue.
2. Remington-style extractor, remington-like firing pin, & springs. This gun could be inherited by my children or grandchildren and its nice to think spare parts are available forever. The BAT sliding-plate extractor is very well-regarded and poses none of the problems that a Sako does. But I like sticking with standard parts.
3. It's made be painted.
4. Customer service. It's much easier to get in touch with Surgeon than BAT. The BAT gentleman (not Bruce Thom) made me seem like I was bothering them with my questions and showed absolutely no flexibility with my request to open the bolt .001" I had some issues with my first Surgeon rifle, but the Surgeon guys were falling over each other to fix my problem. I was not happy with the problem, but they really impressed me with their customer service and all is well now.

These are pretty minor issues and I'm sure the BAT will deliver. My gunsmith said it was no problem to shave .001" off the bolt body if it proved to be too tight. In the end, I have just decided to standardize on Remington pieces and parts. There are only two choices for integral rail & lug: Surgeon or BAT. BAT has a long-established reputation for building the best actions in the industry...can't go wrong.

As another data point, I spoke with a fellow shooter in Phoenix using the BAT tri-lug for XTC and prone shooting (fairly dirty environment). He said the tri-lug is definitely too tight for hunting and the like. Sometimes he has to clean his bolt in between strings of fire. But, he loves the action and has no intention of changing it out. :) Keep in mind his tri-lug has benchrest clearance: .0015". The varmint you are looking at has .0025"

Thanks Folks for this build I think I will give the BAT a go.....the two difference's is there a little tighter along with the fact the handle is pinned and brazed.....is this an issue well 99.9% that it wont be I have a smith who uses many of examples of both surgeon and BATS and he says both are great but he prefers BAT perosnally.

I have a couple of surgeons so would like to try the BAT I will ensure it has the .0025 clearance.....this should fix the debris/dirt issue. Also I would make this rifle to look like a sporting varmint rig rather than military/tactical looking.

I dont feel like I can go wrong with either at any rate !!

Well I have 3-6mnths + another 1-2mnths before it has all of its paperwork to get to Aust to wait before I get my action !!

It will be a long wait.