• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Anyone using 155 gr. Scenar-L in .308 past 800 yards?

messer454

Private
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2008
I am beginning to transition from 800 yards out to hopefully a mile in a couple of different rifles. A knowlegeable person locally who has been shooting out to a mile for awhile now is swearing by the 155 gr. Scenar-L as the best bullet in his .308. Has anyone else been using this bullet? It is hard to wrap my head around it being as good as he was telling me the ballistics are. I can't find much about it while searching the net. Thanks

I've been using the 155gr ones for quite a long time & get out to 1000 easily, from what I understand the biggest difference in the L ones is they try to make them all a lot more perfectly consistent so you should be good to go.
The only issue is a bit more wind drift than the 175 grain ones. I'm not sure however how much further you can push the 155gr ones past 1000 yards before they bleed off a lot of energy.

The scenar-l does look a little different than the standard scenar 155...noticeably so in the tip/metplat area. Not sure how this plays out in real world performance.

It was the bullet that worked the best for my at 1000 yards in my 23.5" .308. These bullets were the older ones not the "L"'s.
Semper Fi

Like em. But I still say my 175 Sierras will hold better groups. Velocity is better with the 155 but wind seams to move it easier. I'm on the fence still but I lean toward the old 175s. Hard to change what's working. My 2 cents

thanks for the replies guys. I ordered some to try. I am using varget in 168s so I will see if I can get a good load with that first.

i have shot the regular 155 scenars quite a bit at 1100 yards as well as the 175 smk. i prefer the 175's. seamed like they werent as susceptible to wind and i was able to land them on the steel more consistently for sure. probably lots of oipinions out there though. i liked 155's out to about 700, basically the same as the 175 maybe even a little better, but at the extreme range 175 is my choice. this was through my trg22, lapua brass, 44.5 varget.

I have been running 155 Scenars in comp and sniper systems for ten years. The new L version seems to have same BC to me. Great bullet. Here is what I believe. out to 600 yards you can run up to a 1x13 twist. Past 600 yards I have better luck with 1x11.25 or 12 twist.

Varget is a great powder for these I run 45.0 grains at 2.82" OAL for sniper system and my comp guns run up to 47 grains depending on chamber of system. Longer throat equals more powder, longer OAL and faster round.

Loading these either every bullet needs to be seated in lands or no bullet is loaded into lands for best results

Now since your starting out Lapua has just come out with two new L bullets in 30 cal. The Lapua 175 is the best bullet for mag length guns I have used to date. BC higher than Sierras and easy to get velocity. For comp long throated guns the Scenar 220 L is rocking

according to lapua. for the .308 cal scenars the standard and the l bullets are the same. the difference is the sorting and q/c process

I have been running 155 Scenars in comp and sniper systems for ten years. The new L version seems to have same BC to me. Great bullet. Here is what I believe. out to 600 yards you can run up to a 1x13 twist. Past 600 yards I have better luck with 1x11.25 or 12 twist.

Varget is a great powder for these I run 45.0 grains at 2.82" OAL for sniper system and my comp guns run up to 47 grains depending on chamber of system. Longer throat equals more powder, longer OAL and faster round.

Loading these either every bullet needs to be seated in lands or no bullet is loaded into lands for best results

Now since your starting out Lapua has just come out with two new L bullets in 30 cal. The Lapua 175 is the best bullet for mag length guns I have used to date. BC higher than Sierras and easy to get velocity. For comp long throated guns the Scenar 220 L is rocking

Good to hear about the 175s, but I'm still surprised that the BC isn't in the .5xx range like bergers offerings. Does lapua test theirs differently? Their BC numbers seem more "conservative." How is the transonic performance? Have you tried the 220s in a 30 cal magnum?

Last edited:
The 155 Scenar does not give up anything in BC to the Bergers no matter what published numbers are. Numbers are just that. Take them out and shoot the bullets side by side.

Hi,

155gr Scenar, 48gr N550 and 210M or RWS5341 give me fun at 1000m.
If you use light bullet like this one, is important to go fast.

Compare to the 175 SMK and 42gr VARGET, the scenar is a good choice

Hi,

155gr Scenar, 48gr N550 and 210M or RWS5341 give me fun at 1000m.
If you use light bullet like this one, is important to go fast.

Compare to the 175 SMK and 42gr VARGET, the scenar is a good choice

The 155 scenars have done better for me at 1000 yards compared to the 175smk as well. It's nice only needing 8.9 mils elevation from a 308 at a DA of ~1300 feet