• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone using a 7mm Rem Mag?

deersniper

Protecting the Sheep
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2007
    Northeast
    Anyone here using a 7mm Rem Mag? What are the specs?

I ordered a GAP 7mm a month ago and the wait is starting to get to me. Im sure it will be worth the wait.
    The spces for my build are:
    Remington 700 action
    Tuned 700 trigger
    26" stainless fluted barrel threaded for suppressor
    Aftermarket bolt knob (forget which one)
    Badger 20 MOA base
    Olive Drab Green finish.

I am going to drop it into a 2.0 AICS OD green that I bought from Mile High. Scope will be a NF NXS 5.5-22x56 with NF Ultralite rings. Probaly a little more scope than needed.

-dan

Re: Anyone using a 7mm Rem Mag?

Great cartridge. Just be sure you get the proper twist for the 180 gr Berger VLD with an SD of .659. You'll have the 30 cal boys in tears.

Member 7RM ...might be a good one to talk to
    wink.gif
    I have a factory Sendero SF that i love, nothing done to it build wise...was cryo'd and maybe glass bedded...can't remember. Its been awhile..shoots great one of my fav's an one thats layed quite a few smackdowns.

Yep - really like mine. GAP did it a number of years ago, its has a #3 barrel and shoots really well. You will like what they can do.

Yep it is an awesome round. I got one and it shoots really nice. Mr. Humble is right though. Get a 9 twist barrel and shoot those 180 grain bergers. You want be disapointed.

Don't discount the 162 AMAXs either. They will run with the 180gr Bergers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't discount the 162 AMAXs either. They will run with the 180gr Bergers. </div></div>

Agreed, had nothing but trouble with the 180 Bergers, 162's awesome through my barrel.

-J

The 162 AMAX shoots lights out outta my 7mag. I just need to work on my shooting skills now.

I've been shooting a Sig SHR 970 in 7 mag for years, first as a target puncher and then, when the GAP arrived, as a designated hunting rifle. I love the 7 mag for so many reasons, not the least of which is the accuracy. I don't shoot the rifle more than a few rounds a year, but I know the thing is going to hit where I aim every time. This is a target I used at a range visit on my way to a deer hunt to see where some new TSX loads were hitting. One shot and I was pretty much ready to hunt.

IMG_0642.jpg

When it really counts, I always go for the 7 mag first.

Thanks for the advice. I already bought some 150 grain soft points to play around with/ break in the rifle with. I also have some Black Hills 139 grain SSTs and 162 grain AMAXs on order from CT Firearms.

The barrel is a #7 contour IIRC.

-dan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VnCO</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't discount the 162 AMAXs either. They will run with the 180gr Bergers. </div></div>

Agreed, had nothing but trouble with the 180 Bergers, 162's awesome through my barrel.

-J </div></div>

I am still trying to sort out my 180gr Berger load. The other day I had both bullets at 600 yards and the 180gr Bergers needed an aditional 1.5MOA of adjustment to come up to the 162gr AMAXs. I'm pushing the 180s at 2950 and the 162s at 3100fps out of my WSM. In this case, the slightly less BC (.625 vs .659) of the AMAXs is putting it to the 180s! Should be taking it out to 1K this weekend, it's going to be interesting.

SIGTWO -

Hmmmm...Interesting...Will you show a pic of this rifle and/or give the specs on it?

I find it kind of hard to believe you used a 7mm mag out in the sandbox... where were you deployed???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIGTWO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good all around rifle. Used one in the sand pit. 150GR'S work well on towel heads at 1000 yards. </div></div>

Now that's what I call service! And I thank you for it.

Oh yeah, I have a hunting rig in 7RM. I shoot 160 accubonds and have taken some sizable critters with no follow up shot needed.

Maybe a gecko 45... I have been there done that buddy and I didn't have time to hunt bunnies in baghdad I was doing my job I have seen quite a bit of shit as we call it bud but Never a 7mm Mag out in the sand box... saw plenty of the usual to not so common stuff m24's, mk14's, even a wild rifle with using 338 timberwolf but no 7mm Mag rifles...