• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone using a Leupold MK5HD for nrl22?

farofeiro

Private
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2023
PA
I usually use a Bushnell Match Pro 6-24 on a Tikka T1X for base class. Got a vudoo recently and haven’t decided on a scope so I put a Mk5 5-25 I had set aside for a centerfire rifle on it for now. Wondering if it’s possible to hit the 1/4” at 35 yards considering parallax?

More than likely. My Premier doesn't hardly parallax at 50yds and I didn't have any trouble. Being blurry actually helped seeing the bullet miss left or right at such a close distance (25yds). I hit more 25yd'ers than I missed.

Plus I would be wanting the quality optic for longer shots in terms of tracking/reliability.
FB_IMG_1673306362289.jpg

I ended up getting a used Razor Gen 2 cheap. Figured the 35yd parallax and an extra 2X magnification would be an improvement. Yes, it was....but it wasn't as forgiving between yardages. So there's always shit you don't know till you kinda try it out.

Screenshot_20231113_212345_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:
I am waiting for my Vudoo and have a MK5 I've been playing with off a bag and tripod trying to see how it would be at closer ranges...for me I am pretty sure its going to be a no go...at closer ranges I have to dial the magnification way down to get a semi clear picture which basically turns the reticle into a cross for my eyes and still have blur or out of focus targets.

I also have a Vortex Strike Eagle which works better at closer ranges but the glass is lacking...its not horrible but after spending an hour or two behind it I really start feeling the eye strain. I think a GEN2 razor would be a good choice but I just can not get past the color and that's after owning 2 of them.

I have a Ziess S3 4-25 ordered, should have it next week and I think/hopping this is going to be a great Rim fire scope as long as the glass is as good as most ppl are saying...also from what I understand the reticle is a little thicker which will be a bonus for me.

Reactions: FuhQ
I am waiting for my Vudoo and have a MK5 I've been playing with off a bag and tripod trying to see how it would be at closer ranges...for me I am pretty sure its going to be a no go...at closer ranges I have to dial the magnification way down to get a semi clear picture which basically turns the reticle into a cross for my eyes and still have blur or out of focus targets.

I also have a Vortex Strike Eagle which works better at closer ranges but the glass is lacking...its not horrible but after spending an hour or two behind it I really start feeling the eye strain. I think a GEN2 razor would be a good choice but I just can not get past the color and that's after owning 2 of them.

I have a Ziess S3 4-25 ordered, should have it next week and I think/hopping this is going to be a great Rim fire scope as long as the glass is as good as most ppl are saying...also from what I understand the reticle is a little thicker which will be a bonus for me.
I think i'm just going to try it out first, worst case scenario I drop a couple points on a sub 50 yard stage. I'll report back on sunday

Reactions: LR1845
Never cared much for Leopold glass. I just ordered the Zeiss LRP S3 6-36x56 for my Vudoo. With all the sales you can't go wrong over $625 off plus no tax free shipping at Eurooptics.

Last edited:
Reactions: FuhQ and adubeau
Never cared much for Leopold glass. I just ordered the Zeiss LRP S3 6-36x56 for my Vudoo. With all the sales you can't go wrong over $625 plus no tax free shipping at Eurooptics.

I know this is a stupid question and I'm missing something here but....You got a 6-36 for $625?

No sorry over $625 off the price It's $1874
No need to be sorry I figured I'd missed something....at $625 I was ready to order 4 of them LOL!!

I think I PM'd you but when you get that 6-36 can you let me know what you think please? Glass, Turrets and especially the reticle.

Reactions: GIXXER2000
yes its possible. you will see that you dont want to be ZOOMED full in tho for it. but more than doable, quite a few shooters in the PRS22 Matches i go to have the Mark5

was going to put a Mark5 7-35 on my vudoo but went with another razor to match my spare/loaner gun so if someone new is using it i see what they see....so the Leupold just sits, sealed in the box lol

I have a 5-25 Mark5 I'll be putting on my Curtis valor quick change 22LR conversion once I get it back from the smith. Looking forward to hearing how yours works for you

I tried it. Found out during a match that the empty cases would bounce off the windage knob back into the chamber. That was an entertaining match, and I still pulled off a win.

Went back to a tango 4 just because it's smaller.

Neither has a parallax lower than 50 yards. I just turn the power down. I find I don't even bury my 4-16 until I'm past 100 generally.

I tried it. Found out during a match that the empty cases would bounce off the windage knob back into the chamber. That was an entertaining match, and I still pulled off a win.

Went back to a tango 4 just because it's smaller.

Neither has a parallax lower than 50 yards. I just turn the power down. I find I don't even bury my 4-16 until I'm past 100 generally.
I’ve shot with it a lot with no feeding issues, just not sub 50 yards.

@farofeiro so you have not shot closer than 50yds with the Mark5 yet?

My S3 4-25 finally shows a shipping label but not in the system...I am hoping to get the S3 this week as I should have my Vudoo Monday or Tuesday.

@farofeiro so you have not shot closer than 50yds with the Mark5 yet?

My S3 4-25 finally shows a shipping label but not in the system...I am hoping to get the S3 this week as I should have my Vudoo Monday or Tuesday.
I shot an NRL22 match today. Closest target was 35 yards, 1/4” KYL. Hit it 4/5 times. I’m thinking that’s the closest target the Mk5 could focus on, anything closer will be blurry.

Got 8th out of 52 for the day, pretty happy with that!

Edit: should mention I was on about 14x.

I shot an NRL22 match today. Closest target was 35 yards, 1/4” KYL. Hit it 4/5 times. I’m thinking that’s the closest target the Mk5 could focus on, anything closer will be blurry.

Got 8th out of 52 for the day, pretty happy with that!

Edit: should mention I was on about 14x.
Damn fine shooting congrats!!

Yeah that's what I figured after playing with my MK5 at closer ranges and why I finally just ordered the S3 4-25...if the 4-25 has as good of glass as the MK5 I will most likely order an S3 6-36 for my center fire...keep things the same.

Reactions: BMP
Damn fine shooting congrats!!

Yeah that's what I figured after playing with my MK5 at closer ranges and why I finally just ordered the S3 4-25...if the 4-25 has as good of glass as the MK5 I will most likely order an S3 6-36 for my center fire...keep things the same.
Thank!

I ordered the Meopta Optika 6 4.5-27 on sale at euro optic and that will go on my vudoo, for the price I couldn’t stop myself.

I have Mk5s on my centerfire guns, kind of looking for something different.

Thank!

I ordered the Meopta Optika 6 4.5-27 on sale at euro optic and that will go on my vudoo, for the price I couldn’t stop myself.

I have Mk5s on my centerfire guns, kind of looking for something different.

I like the MK5s but what to keep things the same and I am hoping the Ziess will be the answer.

So I am going to eat crow here.

As I said above I had been messing around with my mark5 on a bag on my tripod trying to see if it would work at 25yds and did not look promising.

I finally shot my Vudoo yesterday after work with the Ziess S3 and was VERY happy with the glass but not so much with the reticle. Glass is fantastic but the reticle is way to small for my eyes which is the opposite of what I've read...Or miss read LOL!

Due to my eye sight when I set my diopter I have to turn it all the way in or very close to have a clear reticle so the reticle is or looks smaller.
So this morning I pulled the Ziess and put my mark5 on and went out and shot about 100-120 rounds. With the MK5 parallax set at 75yds I can set the power at 12-14x and the 25yd target is only slightly blurry at 10x almost perfect under 10x and its clear as can be.

So I guess depending on your eye's the MK5 will differently work at closer ranges and for me the reticle is much easier for me to see and is my favorite out of all the scopes I have owned.

I finally shot my Vudoo yesterday after work with the Ziess S3 and was VERY happy with the glass but not so much with the reticle. Glass is fantastic but the reticle is way to small for my eyes which is the opposite of what I've read...Or miss read LOL!

The S3 reticle is too small? It's larger than most out there and nice and dark as well. I am really surprised to read your experience as it's the only one I have ever read or heard of to say that. Have you used it in a match? It's actually a great match reticle.

The S3 reticle is too small? It's larger than most out there and nice and dark as well. I am really surprised to read your experience as it's the only one I have ever read or heard of to say that. Have you used it in a match? It's actually a great match reticle.

Not in a match but I shot 200ish rounds with it yesterday and the reticle is tiny to my eye's...maybe hash marks to close?
I love the glass it's is what everyone has been saying and I also love the green reticle but even with it on it was still hard for me to pick up the center dot.

Not in a match but I shot 200ish rounds with it yesterday and the reticle is tiny to my eye's...maybe hash marks to close?
I love the glass it's is what everyone has been saying and I also love the green reticle but even with it on it was still hard for me to pick up the center dot.

What power you running it on? I guess with all eyes being different it can happen but that is definitely the first I have heard the reticle called that.

What power you running it on? I guess with all eyes being different it can happen but that is definitely the first I have heard the reticle called that.
Up to 20 in the field but prefer to be around 14-16...I just looked through it and the center dot looks really small to me and everything is just to close together for me, maybe because I have been using the MK5s for so long or maybe because I have to have the diopter turned all the way in.

Like I said the glass is fantastic but the reticle just don't work for me.

Reactions: Rob01
I have to agree on the MK5. I especially like my 5-25s with pr2 reticle. They seem to get a lot of hate (especially on r/longrange where there is a biased/sponsored mod hivemind) but for the price it is fantastic. People seem to critique them in comparison to optics 1.5x-2x the cost, which isn’t fair.

I have to agree on the MK5. I especially like my 5-25s with pr2 reticle. They seem to get a lot of hate (especially on r/longrange where there is a biased/sponsored mod hivemind) but for the price it is fantastic. People seem to critique them in comparison to optics 1.5x-2x the cost, which isn’t fair.

$1800 for non illuminated and $2300 for illuminated is in the same area as a lot of scopes now so there are a ton of other choices for the same price and even less with similar features. I've looked at them and didn't see anything drawing me to them especially with the 50 yard parallax. You can make it work as we did years back by turning down power but now there isn't a need to do that with the other choices in the market. The Leupold name is not the draw it once was.

This is from the PRS Series...looks a few guys like the MK5's

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-23 at 13-25-07 Precision Rifle Series - Home.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-12-23 at 13-25-07 Precision Rifle Series - Home.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 48
$1800 for non illuminated and $2300 for illuminated is in the same area as a lot of scopes now so there are a ton of other choices for the same price and even less with similar features. I've looked at them and didn't see anything drawing me to them especially with the 50 yard parallax. You can make it work as we did years back by turning down power but now there isn't a need to do that with the other choices in the market. The Leupold name is not the draw it once was.
Agree and I've owned several high end optics but always seem to end back up with the MK5's...they just work for me.

Reactions: BMP
Yes they show what the shooters use, optics, actions ect.

I thought the MK5 was an excellent value for the cost. The only thing that kept me away was the 50y parallax. I use my rifle for 50yd BR as well and have the mag cranked up. Seen several scopes that lost it and were suppose to be good @50.

Brad

This is from the PRS Series...looks a few guys like the MK5's
Just fine for targets farther away, not so good for .22's where you might be shooting a 1/4 inch target in a KYL at 35 yards or less.

Just fine for targets farther away, not so good for .22's where you might be shooting a 1/4 inch target in a KYL at 35 yards or less.
I agree there are better options if you want high power at closer distances but the MK5 at 25yds, parallax set as low as it will go..50yds..and power set at 10x I can see a #2 Philips screw head as if I was standing 12" away and I can still see the dot against a black target...the MK5 glass just really works with my eye's.

I don’t disagree however this month’s kyl at 35 yards I nearly cleaned pretty easily while shooting only the 1/4”. My one miss was on my behalf and not the mk5.