• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone using a PRS stock on a RRA LAR-8?

Bighouse

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2007
Utah
I am getting ready to cut the cheek riser so the charging handle will clear and am wondering if anyone here has done the same, and if so will you post a pic of the cut?

Re: Anyone using a PRS stock on a RRA LAR-8?

As lonewolf said, there are two versions. Take a look at the bottom of the PRS, it should tell you which model it is, the AR15 or the 308 version. if it is the 308 u should be good to go.

To clear it you need 0.6" to clear on the side of the charging handle from the edge of the cheek peice.

Guys...you missed the point. He is trying to install an AR-10 PRS on a RRA LAR-8.

The LAR-8's charging handle is about a 1/4" too long to allow the even the AR-10 PRS stock to work on the LAR-8. Again, more stupid engineering (or lack thereof) on RRA's part in designing a platform that won't work with one of the mostg popular aftermarket stocks available.

Dremel it...it'll work then. It's only a $250 stock...what could it hurt!!!
wink.gif

I knew the handle was longer before I bought the rifle. I am happy with my decision and knew I was going to have to cut the stock. I just figured I am not the only one that has done this and wanted to see some before I started cutting.

All you need to do is set the cheek piece to the proper height for your setup, measure (2x) where you need to cut, mark it off, then take a Dremel cut-off wheel, sander, etc. to it and relieve the riser slowly until you have what you need?

If you still aren't comfortable doing it without pics, try ARFCOM. IIRC, there is a 30+ Page thread on the RRA LAR-8 and various "issues" with the rifle. I am SURE someone over there has brought this issue up at least once and pics may be available. If not, try posting your question there and see what you can reel in.

If you do finally decide to do it, you can always do a step-by-step pictoral with directions on getting the PRS altered to properly work with the LAR-8.

Good luck!

I have tried AR15.com. One guy said he has done it. He said he will try to get a pic. I should have my upper back from the smith tomorrow and I will get it started. I will post some pics when its done. I will also post pics of the flush cup install I did on the PRS last night.

It looks like you have a spacer in there Lola. Thats what I ended up doing. I ordered a 5/8" stock spacer and now the handle has room to come all the way back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bighouse</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I will also post pics of the flush cup install I did on the PRS last night. </div></div>

Can I get more info on this?

I have a 6 position stock on my LAR-8 will a standard AR-10 buffer tube work with the LAR-8 so I can put a PRS stock on it?

Yes you can put a standard rifle tube on it and a PRS but your charging handle will not clear the cheek riser if its up.

You will need to modify the riser or get a stock spacer.

Here is my RRA Lar-8 Varmint in its current state. You can see that the stock is spaced out. Its a 5/8" spacer and is perfect for charging hadle clearence.
Lar-8.jpg

Nice looking rifle.

Thanks for the info.

Where did you get the spacers from?