• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone using Hornady 308" 168gr Match BTHP In AIAW or TRG 22 or Similar rifles?

samnev

First Sargeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 16, 2010
    Surprise, AZ
    Since I haven't been able to find 168 Sierra SMK's and am just about out of them has anyone been using Hornady 308" 168gr Match BTHP in their rifle. I am interested in how they perform in terms of group size to the SMK's. I have been able to locate the Hornady 168's but I am hesitant to order them since I don't now how they will perform. Any help would be appreciated.
    TIA

They shoot nicely out of my AO. 44 grains of varget in lapua brass around 2.808. Ive shot them to 700 yards with great results. I think the bc of the smk and hornady are about the same.

The 175 SMK shoots well out of my AW, I've never tried the 168. It's just another option available, unless for some reason you're only able to shoot the 168.

I shoot the Hornady 168 BTHP out of several rifles and I've never seen the SMK do anything that the Hornady bullet couldn't do as well, or better (except for cost more).

I've run some through an AW an AX and several other rifles and it shot well out of all of them.

The 1st range trip for my AE I loaded 168gr Amax with 39.8gr of XBR at COL 2.8 and was able to shoot sub 1/2 moa groups. I've use 140gr Amax in my 6.5CM with similar results.

Since I haven't been able to find 168 Sierra SMK's and am just about out of them has anyone been using Hornady 308" 168gr Match BTHP in their rifle. I am interested in how they perform in terms of group size to the SMK's. I have been able to locate the Hornady 168's but I am hesitant to order them since I don't now how they will perform. Any help would be appreciated.
    TIA

I only use Hornaday TAP 168's so I cant compare to SMK'S, but i can easily say I have no problem with them out to 800 yrds. 1/2" and slightly under groups at 100 yards through my AIAE. A littl elarger groups with my Remington 700. I can only imagine how much better they would preform with the right load!Buy with confidence!