• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone using IMR 3031 for .308?

ALASKAPREDATOR

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2008
STERLING ALASKA
Due to the inability to acquire a steady powder supply of any quanitity here in Alaska, it seems I'm making do with anything I can get. Used IMR4064, Varget, IMR4895, but keep running out with no recurrent supply. I started experimenting with some IMR 3031 I had in stock and found that 40.0 grains behind a 168 MK to be my most accurate load for my Savage 10fp yet. My 1st 3 shots with this load @100yds were a 1 holer and I knew I was on to something. I just don't see much chatter about it or any load in the reloading section using this powder in .308. Opinions on IMR3031 in .308 sought. Thanks!

Re: Anyone using IMR 3031 for .308?

Mr. Coyote,
Thanks for the link-by the product of neccesity, I feel I am actually ahead of the curve for once! I have a class in 2 weeks and this is what I'll be loading for that rifle class. I worked it at 300 with more rds yesterday and they flew true with some of my best ever. I do not have a chron to test but rounds were shooting 1.5 higher @ 100 than my previous load at 2550 so I believe more velocity is involved and resulted in flatter traj at 300 with less comeups needed. Loaded in a Savage 10fp w/24" barrel-CCI#34 primers-2.828" general OAL-measured all on the ogive so OAL varies

IMR 3031 is a proven .308 win load from years gone by.
The reason it's not used as much todate is because other powders meter better, an are not as temp sensitive. Some of my best shots were with 3031.

First one I used in a 308 also.
Nobody talks about it now 'cause the ball powders meter better thru a powder measure.
It was also once tested and extruded powders cause faster barrel throat wear. Don't know if it is true or not. After 3000 rds any powder is going to start to show wear.

I would have to read the entire test before I said extruded powder eroded the barrel faster. Without real data, that's kind of hard to take.