• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone using IS binos?

TwoNiner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
I'm in the market for a pair of binoculars and have just about settled on Steiner 8x30 Wildlife pros. However, I just discovered that companies are now making image stabilizing binoculars with internal gyroscopes to help take shaking images out of the equation. From the reviews on sites like amazon of the Canon models they seem pretty revolutionary. My only concern is durability. Does anyone use IS binos? Can they stand up to field conditions?

Used them exclusively in afghan, and they are fuckin awesome, didn't even take spotting scopes outta our rucks most of the time. Just used the canon is to scan, spot targets, and spot rounds. They are badass

The canon 15x50IS is the best binocular I have ever used. Better than my spotter with the exception that it doesn't have a mil reticle. Otherwise, great for observing and general outdoor use. They are awesome and rugged.

If you have the scratch, and you care about observing, go for the 10x42L IS. The field of view on those is amazing, and so is the clarity. They are also waterproof - not just water resistant. The glass is first rate.

I use the Canons too. Having IS is WAY better than having super expensive glass. The only other binos I use is the ARC 1600 laser rangerfinder.

I have too agree once you use IS you will never go back. I have these and they are great.
For those that spend tons of money on high end binos...NEVER look through a lower price IS bino you will be pissed you spent so much money.

Guys you can easily see the moons of Jupiter freehand. Go out tonight and take a look. Can Never ever do that with reg binos

Its awesome you don't need anything to lean/support them to see crystal clear, you have to retrain yourself just pick them up and look/ even when walking. At first I was useing my elbows , trees ect with my IS binos and its non needed. Old habits are hard to break. Read the reviews.
Amazon.com: Canon 10x30 IS Ultra-Compact Binoculars (Black): Camera & Photo

Last edited:
Several years ago I sold all my telescopes and purchased a couple of binos that I thought I could count on. In July 2005 I purchased a pair of Canon 15X50 "All Weather" Image Stabilized Binoculars. I thought they would be great for hunting and keeping an eye on our 800’ driveway. About 3 years later I had some friends from another forum gather for a campout and fun shoot on my 400 acres. In the process we got caught in a rain storm when we only expected it to be a sprinkle. Everything got wet including my 35 year old spotting scope and my Springfield rifle scope. The only problem we had was ending up with some water in the "All Weather" Canon binoculars and sent them back for repair. I got a notice from them saying that the repair cost would be $1568.48. Man do I feel taken advantage of and will no longer being doing business with Canon in any shape of form. They obliviously do not value their customers or stand behind their products. Anyone else had this problem? I’ve got a set of Brunton Epoch binoculars that cost pretty close to the same price but they honor their Lifetime HALO warranty. No matter what happens they will fix or replace them. I also have a pair of Steiner 10X50 that I picked up in 1990 when stationed in Germany. Needless to say I won't even purchase a Canon camera. I like the idea of image stabilized binos but not when they won't stand behind them. After they got through screwing me I ended up taking them apart to clean the moisture out of them and while the glass is no longer as clear I was able to get the water out and not spend $1568.

I have had a pair of Canon 15x50 IS All weather binoculars for about 3 years now and they are awesome. They are awesome for spotting and make it super easy to see trace even at extended range. I used mine for 9 months in the desert and they held up just fine until one day I had them mounted on a tripod when a wind gust knocked it over and cracked one ocular lens on a rock. It made me sick to my stomach and I thought I would have to pay a lot to get them fixed but when I sent it in they fixed it and shipped it back to me free of charge.

If I could get a pair of IS binos with a mil reticle and quality glass I would easily pay 1,500. If somehow it could range and do ballistics I would easily pay double that.

If I could get a pair of IS binos with a mil reticle and quality glass I would easily pay 1,500. If somehow it could range and do ballistics I would easily pay double that.

And while I'm dreaming if it could have laser wind reading... that'd be great.