• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Anyone using Luep Mk4 1.5-5x20 Illum?

merlinnnn

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2008
Ca
Looking for a good midrange optic for a M1A style rifle (LRB M25 18.5") will be used mostly for boar hunting. How would the 1.5-5x20 work also they only warranty the illumination for 1 year, how do they stand up, any failures?

Merlinn

Re: Anyone using Luep Mk4 1.5-5x20 Illum?

THe 1.5-5x20 is a nice scope, so long as the Leupold style illumination knob doesn't bother you. It drove me nuts, so I sold mine. Never tried it on a M1A, but it seems like it would be a good fit.

A buddy of mine uses that exact scope on his AR for 3-gun and Loves it . I am not in Love with illuminated reticles unless you can see them even without the illumination just because I don't want to be screwed if I don't happen to have a replacement battery when it fails .

What drove you crazy with the knob and how long did you have it??? Have you heard of failures with the illumination??

i have one on my .376 Steyr. i think it is a great scope.

I had it for about 9 months or so. The illumination knob seemed like it was in the way when trying to change magnifications, particularly if I was trying to do it while staying on the gun. Also I twice pulled it out of the safe to find the battery dead because it had somehow managed to get knocked on.

I use the Mk4 1.5-5x24 on one of my AR-15's and I have no complaints. I do not need the illumination during the day to see the reticle but it works fine in low light conditions. If the illumination turret gets in your way, Larue makes a lever that locks onto the magnification ring to allow easy magnification changes.
As for the illumination mechanism, I have been using a Mk4 3-9x36 on another AR-15 and the illumination function has continued to work flawlessly for about five years now.

IMG_2938Large.jpg

I have a non illumnated version on a Winchester M-70 Safari Express in .375 H&H. Very nice scope.

scout1

I was at Viking Tactics a rifle school a bit ago and it was all LE and Mil guys with a lot of time behind the trigger. Everyone was using an EOTECH or an aimpoint. However, one guy drove all the way from Utah for the class. He used the Loopy 1.5-5x....... and smoked us all.

The red dots were faster up close, but only by a C-hair.

I have the Leupy, not the MK4, but the older 1" tube with the SPR lit reticle. Used it on my 3 gun AR, but struggled with the 1.5 power at close range. Switched over to the Burris XTR 1-4x and like it a lot better. The 1x works better for me on the close targets and the lit reticle knob is on the side opposite the windage knob and doesn't get turned on as easily as the Leupy. Just another option to think about. Last time I checked SWFA had them.

Mine has been trouble free so far.I keep the power knob pointed at 12:00 that keeps it out of the way and it's at 3X which is optimal for these scopes from what i understand.
L1010245.JPG

I am pretty sure this is my best option..

Can you use it with both eyes open???

Merlinn

I looked at a lot of different options before getting mine. I'm a self proclaimed loopy hater and this optic knocked my socks off.

Reticle works well at 1.5 as a dot type scope with plenty of eye relief. The illumination is bright enough to be usefull in daylight which none of the others I evaluated could do. Only thing thats tricky for using it as a dot site is that the crosshairs are on the skinny side but I just put the target in the circle and it works well enough for fast aquisition. Both eyes open no problem.

The BDC for 62gr (SS109) is dead nuts on but since that is getting hard to come by I contacted loopy and they make replacement knobs for 55gr as well for 35 bucks.

I got mine from Larue as a combo with the SPR mount and they also include a snazzy lever that attaches to the power ring and makes it easy to tell at a glance what setting you are on.

Only optic I didnt have a chance to compare it to was the SB short dot but at 1700.00 more I just cant see it as an option for an SPR (for me).

Great optic...get one you wont be dissapointed!

KACSPR010.jpg

KACSPR012.jpg

My rifle is in transit.. I want to test fit it to the M25 (LRB M14 receiver with integral scope mount) and see how low I can get it and check the eye relief... Clearing the rear sight is my question.. If I can get it to fit right, I am an owner!!

Merlinn

Anchor Station, michealj and crowsniper1 .... great looking rigs!!

Love mine, I've had this one since they first came out. Highly recomend it.
DSCF0038.jpg

DSCF0030.jpg

DSCF0019-3.jpg

ptaylor,

Glad to see another big bore 2 smoking pumpkin! What year is it?

Back to guns, whats type of sling is that? Looks like black surgical tubing.

Its a 00', still runs great.

Bungee sling, you can still find them if you really look.