• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone using the new Vortex Diamondback HD 15x56 binos

LJT88

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 16, 2019
    Has anyone had any time behind these yet? I’m curious to see how they are working and if they are a viable solution for a budget optic to spot shots with at the range and use on western hunts. With Mil discount it seems like it could be.

I have had Diamondback, Viper, and Razor binos and spotters.

You would be better off getting a 12x bino with better glass, IMO.

Having lots of magnification on crappy glass doesn't help. Always favor clarity over magnification. Balance it out for how far you realistically will look for detail and shoot.

Spotting: 10x is plenty out to 1000. Mushy narrow fov glass doesn't let you see trace as well as clear lower power.

Hunting. With better 10x 12x, I can see everything you could with 15 really at really far. And, lower clear glass shows more because I will see into shadows and bushes better inside 1200 yards.

Find some used Kaibabs or Viper HD 12x is my suggestion. Maybe check on Athlon binos on a budget.

I started with Diamondback, then slowly traded my way up to really expensive glass cause I would make the mistake of looking through better glass.

Also, remember worse glass can give you a headache and eye fatigue. You can't spot if you can't look.

Reactions: 47guy and LJT88
    I've got a pair of them on the way. The guys at Vortex actually talked me out of the 15x Vulture binos, saying that the new Diamondbacks will be lighter and have better glass. I'm far from an expert in this area, I just want to be able to spot without getting a headache from the spotting scope.
    They should be here this weekend, I guess I'll know then!

Reactions: LJT88
    I've got a pair of them on the way. The guys at Vortex actually talked me out of the 15x Vulture binos, saying that the new Diamondbacks will be lighter and have better glass. I'm far from an expert in this area, I just want to be able to spot without getting a headache from the spotting scope.
    They should be here this weekend, I guess I'll know then!

Vulture is terrible, so good decision there.

Maybe the newer Diamondback is better. Hope they work out. Stuff is always improving.

Reactions: LJT88
    D1gger,
    I’d appreciate your feedback on how those binos work for you

So I was able to finally get behind these this weekend. It was only a 100 yd range, but I was easily seeing 22 holes in cardboard, off of a tripod of course.
    We didn't have any other glass with us to compare to, but I am very pleased with them so far.
    It will be a little while before I can get these out to see impacts at distance, but I feel like the will be just fine.

I picked up a pair of these the other day. So far I am impressed with them, but the true test will come during glassing sessions this upcoming hunting season. I got them specifically to avoid having to use a spotter along with binos.
    I have 2 other pairs in the diamondback line; a 10x50 original diamondback and a 10x42 HD. The binos have always worked very well for me providing good clarity under varied hunting conditions and I have never experienced eye fatigue, even after endless hours of glassing. I am puzzled by how many negative reviews I read on various forums regarding the diamondback line. Sure there are better binos out there. However, for the guy that takes the diamondback line on hunting trips for maybe two weeks out of the year, they are plenty good. I don't think I ever missed seeing an animal that I otherwise would have picked up if I had binos costing 5x more.