• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone using VV N-170 powder in the .338 Lapua?

Shadow_Warrior

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2004
Tulsa Ok
Just looking for a little feedback on the N-170 powder for the .338LM and the 300gr SMK.
I currently use RL-22 but the SD is around 15.
Of the different VV powders I have tried they have been very consistent.

Re: Anyone using VV N-170 powder in the .338 Lapua?

N170 will work with the 300 SMK or Scenar. I haven't tried it yet but it is slower than R-22.

Of the other powders, Retumbo or RL-25 are better choices.

I have had the best results with Retumbo, but I am waiting for VV N570 to get here. It is the Dual Base version of 170, and optimized for the .338 LM.

If you guys get to try these powders out, please post the results. I'm interested in finding out how these powders do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mussman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just looking for a little feedback on the N-170 powder for the .338LM and the 300gr SMK.
I currently use RL-22 but the SD is around 15.
Of the different VV powders I have tried they have been very consistent.

</div></div>

I use VV-170 with good results under the 250s, but my two go-to powders for 1k yds are VV-165 and H-4831SC. Both are fine for my needs. VV-170 is about equal to Retumbo and slightly slower than RL-25 according to VV's flow chart, so it should work fine for the 300s.

Load to the distance you're going to shoot and don't burn out your throat out prematurely, if you don't have to.

Chris