• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone wear FRCs?

Cinch

Team GFY
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2008
Wyoming
We just found out we are all going to mandatory FRC (flame resistant clothing) at work. Sounds like they chose the Bulwark brand of clothing. I was wondering if anyone else has to wear it and how close the sizing is to their normal clothes. We have to order them in and there is no way to try them on before hand. I'd like to just use my own money and buy Carharts here locally, but that stuff is very expensive. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Anyone wear FRCs?

When I had to use that type of clothing they fit me just the same as regular clothing. We were measured and then given the uniforms. The only problem I had was that they smelled because of the material used but when the clothing did not smell that meant that I needed a new pair.

Those days; I just wish I still did that type of work again.

coal mine / or power house? It seems like that is all there was last time I was out there. Bulwark is not bad, should fit the same. Funny: Most of my employees who work in the powerhouses wear carhartt or wrangler (frc not mandatory for contractors) and are jealous of the plant hands that get the FREE Bulwark frc gear. Guess the grass is always greener...

I wear FRC on the job. It's to hot in the summer and the wind screams right thru it in the winter.
The down jackets and parkas are nice and toasty though.
As Nock says they fit just the same. Ours are Nomex IIIA overalls and outer winter wear is by Actionwear out of Saskatoon, Canada.

i'm guessing oil & gas productions. we are required to were it whenever we go on live sites or in the plants or refineries.

i have both carhart and bulwark. they both fit the same. bulwark pants tend to have tighter fitter legs. not like cowboy wranglers or anything. carhart offers tall sizes which is a plus. carhart also offers different weight shirts. not really a problem in gillete but pretty hand in the south la summers. still hot as hell. i find the carhart stuff holds its color better than bulwark. bulwark seems to look aged pretty quickly. its all pretty pricey. shirt or pants normally run 60-80 a piece.

We had FRC (nomax) coveralls when I worked for the Bomb Squad for the Anchorage Police Dept.

Fine for Anchorage, they sucked in Alabama. I wore them to the EOD range in Huntsville (Hazarous Device School) IN AUGUST. Damn near died, that crap is hot. I thought I was gonna have a heat stroke before I could shed them.

I hate them. Stinkin hot down here in the Houston area.
As far as fitting well, I don't think they're supposed to. It's a conspiracy.
CW

I wear FR clothing,and Bulwark is the brand they buy.I liked the Carhart better but they buy on bid.The Bulwark is pretty good quality but the sizes have not been consistant from year to year.Like others have said,it is hot.The coats and jackets are warm.They are also on the heavy side,if weight matters. Pete

I always have to go one size bigger in the bulwark pants, maybe just me though.

Thanks for all the info, guys. I work in the oil and gas fields of the Powder River Basin. Luckily, the company is providing these, but they have to be ordered in. I just wanted to make sure I didn't order in a bunch of pants and find them to be too small. I imagine they will be pretty damn hot and uncomfortable, but there just isn't anything I can do about it. I'll probably look at the Carharts and work on getting a supply of my own built up over time. I sure hope they make some good cold weather gear. Might be a long winter...