• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Anyone wearing Lowa Uplander GTX boots?

wfjames22

trigger yanker
Minuteman
  • May 8, 2009
    SW TN
    I am in the market for a pair of boots to wear for general big game hunting. I have upcoming hunts for pronghorn in WY and mule deer/elk in MT this fall. I have been scouring the interwebs for boot info and I think that I have settled on the Lowa Uplander GTX boots. I am looking for a supportive, waterproof, breathable, all/nearly all leather, 8-10" tall, uninsulated, quality boot for these hunts as well as to wear for pheasant/quail/deer hunting. I currently have a pair of Irish Setter (they are what they are) boots with 600 or 800 grams of insulation and for what they are, I love them. To my amazement, they have held up really well. My main problem is that my feet sweat 24/7/365 and if I am doing any activity at all they get really sweaty and subsequently cold in short order.

I am open to suggestions on other boots but I mainly want to get some opinions of guys that have used the Lowa Uplander GTX's for similar hunts. I have looked at Meindls, Schnees, Kenetreks, Asolos, etc so far on the internet. My main problem is that finding a place to check any of these out in person around here is next to impossible. I am hoping to get to do that soon as I travel quite a bit for work and should be able to try some of these on sooner than later.

Thanks!

I can't comment on that perticular boot but I do have 2 pairs of Lowa boots and they are the best boots I have ever put on my feet. I don't think you can go wrong with Lowa.

I am in the market for a pair of boots to wear for general big game hunting. I have upcoming hunts for pronghorn in WY and mule deer/elk in MT this fall. I have been scouring the interwebs for boot info and I think that I have settled on the Lowa Uplander GTX boots. I am looking for a supportive, waterproof, breathable, all/nearly all leather, 8-10" tall, uninsulated, quality boot for these hunts as well as to wear for pheasant/quail/deer hunting. I currently have a pair of Irish Setter (they are what they are) boots with 600 or 800 grams of insulation and for what they are, I love them. To my amazement, they have held up really well. My main problem is that my feet sweat 24/7/365 and if I am doing any activity at all they get really sweaty and subsequently cold in short order.

I am open to suggestions on other boots but I mainly want to get some opinions of guys that have used the Lowa Uplander GTX's for similar hunts. I have looked at Meindls, Schnees, Kenetreks, Asolos, etc so far on the internet. My main problem is that finding a place to check any of these out in person around here is next to impossible. I am hoping to get to do that soon as I travel quite a bit for work and should be able to try some of these on sooner than later.

Thanks!

To combat foot sweat, before you put your socks on, liberally rub antiperspirant on your feet, all over them and between the toes. This will slow the sweat glands down just like it does for underarms. Plus your feet and boots will not stink over a month in the field. I started doing this 15 years ago or so and every client customer or person I gave this piece of advice too had happy drier feet. I prefer Degree due to having the most success with it but there are better now I guess. Next, wear socks that have at least 50% synthetic material or no more than 50% wool. I prefer a 60/40 mix with Brigdedale by favorite. Wool is great but it fails to dry quickly keeping that foot sweat around the foot longer but wears like iron, is comfy. Synth will dry very quickly, keep its shape longer than wool.

The insulation in boot uppers does not really insulate the foot that much. Feet get cold from the bottom with contact from the ground more than the cold air around the upper. If using boots in snow or cold water, the insulation in the upper in more effective. Some insulation like Primaloft will actually wick foot moisture better than a non Primaloft boot helping to keep the foot drier.

As far as Lowa boots, great boots if they fit your foot well. No one can give a recommendation for a boot. What fits them may not fit you and maybe a totally poor fit with the last. Usually when this happens, the person will buy and use the boot sized up too big to get the feel the boot fits. Lowa generally have a German last which means they fit a foot that big toe is the longest with the pinky toe much shorter than the big toe and the toes will be longer. The foot will tend to have a higher arch with short arch length. You have to try on the boots with someone who knows how to fit your foot to a boot which very hard these days and impossible by the interweb.

No matter what, throw the factory insole away and use Superfeet that support the actual body through the talus bone in the foot, not the arch, the arch cannot will not support body weight. Green gives the most support, blue not so much, I prefer orange and these have a pilot bump under foot to help increase blood flow to the toes and will also keep the feet less tired. With the proper fit of a Superfeet, they will be uncomfortable at first with pressure and some pain where at the talus bone is and this is correct....its doing what it was designed to do, support the body through bone not the arch.

good luck

Good info in those posts. Lowas are excellent boots, as are Meindls. I can't comment specifically on the Uplanders but I have the Hunter GTX and Seekers, they make my feet very happy. Ditto on the Superfeet insoles, definetly worth the coin. I have two pair and swap everyday when hunting.

There are some online sellers who have free shipping both directions so if you get a pair that don't fit or you don't like them then return postage is free. I think Bakers in OR is one.