• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone with a lot of rounds through SSG-3000?

BCP

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
  • Dec 4, 2008
    AZ: Land of wind, dirt and angry old people
    I bought one of these awhile ago and am just getting around to shooting it. So far it has been making MOA groups with everything, no bug holes but no horrible groups either. Trigger is nice. Plastic stock is good enough. What I am wondering is are these rifles capable of good accuracy or should I just sell it off and do a remington instead? PTG has the Remington actions with M40 barrel for 1100 IIRC.

They used to be the loaner rifle at Sig before the cross came out.

All seemed to shoot well and I never saw a student have problems running one.

Mine is a total hammer. 1/2 to 3/4 MOA. Once shot a 20 round group that was a hair over 1 MOA with round 20 opening things up by .1-.2 MOA. And that was using FGMM, not handloads.

I bought one of these awhile ago and am just getting around to shooting it. So far it has been making MOA groups with everything, no bug holes but no horrible groups either. Trigger is nice. Plastic stock is good enough. What I am wondering is are these rifles capable of good accuracy or should I just sell it off and do a remington instead? PTG has the Remington actions with M40 barrel for 1100 IIRC.
    Totally unacceptable. Because it's Monday and I'm feeling generous I will offer you my rifle disposal service free of charge. I will even pay the shipping to take that piece of hot Euro garbage off your hands.

Kidding of course. Find a load your rifle likes and it should be a laser. The quick swap barrels from Benchmark make it an even better value.

Totally unacceptable. Because it's Monday and I'm feeling generous I will offer you my rifle disposal service free of charge. I will even pay the shipping to take that piece of hot Euro garbage off your hands.

Kidding of course. Find a load your rifle likes and it should be a laser. The quick swap barrels from Benchmark make it an even better value.

That's the hope I've got some 169smks to try next. Eventually I want to have it set up with a bipod, sling and 10x optic.

Everyone and their grandma has a Sauer STR here, most are in 6,5x55 Swede but some run them in 308. The SSG3000 is the same rifle except for the picatinnyrail on top of the action instead of the dovetail. I had an STR for about 2 years, it shot bugholes with Lapua Scenars. Sold it to Spuhr himself and have had a bunch of rifles since, one of them shoot as good (Sako TRG 22) but none of them shoot better.

Get a good chassis for it. like the JET-01 and a spare barrel or two and you will be set for life.

Everyone and their grandma has a Sauer STR here, most are in 6,5x55 Swede but some run them in 308. The SSG3000 is the same rifle except for the picatinnyrail on top of the action instead of the dovetail. I had an STR for about 2 years, it shot bugholes with Lapua Scenars. Sold it to Spuhr himself and have had a bunch of rifles since, one of them shoot as good (Sako TRG 22) but none of them shoot better.

Get a good chassis for it. like the JET-01 and a spare barrel or two and you will be set for life.
    Agreed, I have the same experience. I have owned 2 SSG3000, a 200 STR, 4 TRG's, 3 or 4 AI's (AW & AT). They were all equally accurate, all hammers. But of all of them there was something about the Sauer / Sig I prefer. I love the safety, the trigger was as good or better than my pre 13 TRG's, the action was as smooth as any of them, plus the SSG / STR has a 22lr conversion which I was fortunate enough to own and it was as accurate as any custom rifle I have ever owned (Anschutz, Vudoo and Rim X based actions). If I could find a German made McMillan stocked SSG3000 for a reasonable price I would buy it over a TRG or AI at this point in my life.

Just a little update I tried it with some 175gr Federal and test loads 169smk win brass 2.82. The top right was the federal, top left and bottom are the varget. The best varget one was 42.5 which was two in the same hole and one low. So next I'm going to try different primers as these were winchesters. The dots are roughly an inch:

ssg3000 target devel.jpg

Reactions: matt33
    Disclaimer: Use published load data from a reputable source.

I get bugholes with 175 SMK's and 43.8 and 44.2 grains of Varget in my TRG.

Very nice rifle! I've wanted one since I saw a Bosnian in an Adidas track suit shooting at Owen Wilson with one.

Reactions: BCP
    I made up a dozen hand thrown using the 169smk 2nds, win brass, 42.5 varget top are 3rd bottom is 5 all are 3/4 so I’m just gonna leave it. Very happy with how consistent this rifle is, plus the 2stage trigger is a nice change:

463C86EA-CD9F-4188-B855-461692417603.jpeg

Reactions: Bart
    Never sell it! I'm from Norway, and here the Sauer 200 STR rifle is the National target rifle. 95% or more is chambered for 6.5x55 Swede. Mine will shoot 130grs Bergers @300m under 50mm all day long. (5 shot group). Best group this season was 24mm or 0.945". Clean the barrel, give the rifle some Sierras and it should perform the same. Just remember to check the torque at the action screws (holding the barrel) and the stock screws.

Added Info:
    Barrel screws I use 5.5 lbf·ft
    Action screws I use 3.3 lbf·ft
    Insert bolt into action and close it before tightening the barrel.
    Then tight the action, do it with the muzzle pointing upwards. Gravity will help with the rest
    Remember, the action sleeve holding the barrel should be complete dry. No solvent, or oil in between the sleeve and the barrel. This will prevent hydraulic floating that will ruin precision.
    When cleaning the rifle always use a cleaning rod guide in the action, preventing solvent between action and barrel.

Last edited: