• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyplace make a lightweight 6mm creedmoor barrel in 20 inch?

giannid

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2017
Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Was thinking of building a light hunting Ar but really don't want to go with a 22 inch barrel. Seems like proof only makes a 22 or 24. Also, not interested in a BSF as my buddy tried one and had all kinds of issue with it from functioning to signs of overpressure way under max load.

Anyone know something available?

No go on the BSF, like I said in the original post. Not sure the Bartlein are lightweight. That lead time is also terrible.

AR-10/ LR308 + 20" light contour barrel = still heavy

2" of barrel steel probably weighs about 3oz.

Maybe look at a 6.5 Grendel in a small frame package for hunting
Yeah, I've already got one. Does ok on the coyotes but not real good on the pigs when you start slinging led on the big groups of running pigs. I've got a 6 creedmoor now that I built with an Odin 22" inch barrel that's a great shooter. Does a great job, just way too heavy. Was thinking about building a 6.5 creedmoor as it seems like there's a better barrel selection, but I think the 6 creedmoor is sufficient with less recoil and a little flatter shooting.

I've shot pigs at 350yds with a 6.5 Grendel. 100gr Nosler BT's dropped them.

So a 22" 6 Creed is too heavy but a 20" 6 Creed will be GTG? 🤔
The Odin barrel is a very heavy profile. It's just way too heavy the way it is. Was thinking of building something with carbon fiber components to get close to 7 pounds.

The 6.5 grendel kills them with good shot placement. You don't always get that with runners. We go pig hunting a couple a year. We started with223/556, moved to 6.5 grendels, then 308's, now to the 6 creedmoor. The Ar10 calibers do a lot better of a job overall.

Was thinking of building a light hunting Ar but really don't want to go with a 22 inch barrel. Seems like proof only makes a 22 or 24. Also, not interested in a BSF as my buddy tried one and had all kinds of issue with it from functioning to signs of overpressure way under max load.

Anyone know something available?
Check out Faxon fluted barrels. They aren't as light as a carbon fiber wrapped perhaps, but they are very light for the performance you get.

Carbon six is extremely hit or miss, just as you’d expect from buying a barrel that starts as a McGowen blank. You might as well roll the dice with Faxon or something.

Reactions: mettee
I'm not sure about the 20" length, but Rainier Arms has the 6mm Creed. Their "ultra match" barrels are rumored to be Criterion blanks worked up by Craddock.

I have an 18" bsf carbon 6mm cm Ar10 barrel, and it does everything exactly the way it should. I don't know how much stock I'd put in your buddy's experience. Tuning an ar10 is an art form that few understand. The likelihood that the bsf barrel is the cause of the issues you listed above is very unlikely.

I'll go further:

"Functioning" which I assume you mean cycling, isn't going to be a barrel issue, unless maybe you have an undersized gas port, which is unlikely, but also an easy fix. Pressure signs early is also not likely a barrel issue. Tuning that gas system is absolutely critical to a functioning ar10. There are as many as 5 "my ar10 that I put together won't cycle" posts a day on this site. 99.9% of the time it is people throwing parts together and they can't tune the system. It's never the barrel.