• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anything a GAP AR10 cant do my SPR can?

mtm87tx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2006
Texas
heres my problem, i have a FN SPR that is very accurate and a wonderful rifle. problem: 4 round mags. i need a 10 round mag and i don't want to spend 500 to accomplish this. im not a big competitive shooter but i do run some matches, however most of my time is spent hog hunting or target shooting. will i regret going to a gas gun over the bolt rifle?

Re: Anything a GAP AR10 cant do my SPR can?

The thing that you will lose the most is velocity. Gas guns can't get anywhere near max loads that are safe in bolt guns. So if you go with a 20" barrel you will lose anymore. If you plan on going with a .308 and shooting to 1000 then this can be a problem.

Spend the money on the CDI semis are great but the short comings are you cant push the ammo as fast( maybe a non issue depending on use).Bolt guns give you a long life brass cycle for reloading semis do not.There is a difference in application accuaracy as you never see them in the winners circle.
I believe you will see the end of the 308 bolt gun in military use as in that application the bolt has few advantages.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I believe you will see the end of the 308 bolt gun in military use as in that application the bolt has few advantages. </div></div>

I think there's probably some truth to this, more so for military applications than for LE. I think LE can get away with a short-barreled accurate 308 bolt more than a military sniper might. Personally my choice of precision bolt guns are geared toward the longer ranges that the gas guns can't reach yet - 7mm WSM, 338LM, 375CT, etc.

I'm happy with getting a GAP AR-10 in 308, and if I can get my hands on having one built, I'll get a GAP upper in 7mm WSM as well. I'll still use my 308 training bolt because it's cheaper to shoot and easier on the shoulders.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtm87tx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

by the time you ship the rifle both ways and have the work performed and buy few mags its 500.00+ </div></div>

Not trying to be contrary, but why ship the rifle? Should be able to have the sock inletted and BM bedded locally. Last I checked GAP AR10's were a little more than $500.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtm87tx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

by the time you ship the rifle both ways and have the work performed and buy few mags its 500.00+ </div></div>

Not trying to be contrary, but why ship the rifle? Should be able to have the sock inletted and BM bedded locally. Last I checked GAP AR10's were a little more than $500....... </div></div>

true about the gap not being 500. but at 270 for the bottom metal, 150ish for the work and 80 for a mag its about a 500 project. plus bolt guns can arent potential ban items and i dont have to have a GAP since they arent even taking orders but ive got some down time with no comps until august and id like to start something

Sounds like a GAP AR10 should be in your future! I got the hankering to build a gasgun just from the ban hooplah, but being in construction had to settle for upgrading my SPR...
Receivers are the hard part from what I've looked into. Builders in stock or private is the way to go, I talked to DPMS (got a certificate in Feb at TPRC09) and they said 14 month backlog.