• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes anything as good as NF for less money?

selfbowhunter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2006
TEXAS
i wish i could afford to put a nightforce on every rifle i own but that is not feasible for me. is there any other scope that offers the repeatablitiy of the nightforce for less money? i dial in all extended range shots and perfect repeatability is parmount. i actually prefer fixed power optics if that helps. suggestions?

chuck

Re: anything as good as NF for less money?

I've been very impressed with the Bushnell 4200 3-12X44 for the price. It offers FFP, mil knobs, and illumination for under $700. They have glass I put on par with regular NF NXS's, and seem to track reliably.

If you don't mind fixed power there is the SS10X42 HD. I personally don't have any experience with it, but it seems to get great feedback and if it's anything like the standard SS's they're tough as nails and track perfect. Glass quality is said to be very good, and it also has mil knobs to match the reticle like the bushnell.

I wouldn't say either of these are as good as a NF, but they are certainly great alternatives.

the USO ST-10 is a bit cheaper and from what I hear it's great glass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IOR, even has better glass.</div></div>

Ya, IOR, don't sweat those really poor internals, the glass is awesome...

no not really nothing besides the germans, uso and premier can really compare or beat a NF.

Oh and the Razor

Having researched it recently, I went with the NF F1 because of the bang for the buck. It's a lot of bucks for me, but it's even more bang. Runner ups were the new 4th Gen 4 IOR 3-18 FFP which is said to be vastly more reliable, and the Leupold Mk IV M5.

Both are much less money, but I believe great values and very good quality. I don't think the Nightforce quality can be reached at a lower price point at this time. But I wouldn't hesitate to invest in one of the other two I mentioned if my budget so dictated.

As to the issue that always comes up re: IOR, repairs may or may not take a minute, but I have never heard of anyone hung out to dry with a broken IOR scope. The company is not going away anytime soon. I wouldn't worry about a current stock IOR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maestro</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Runner ups were the new 4th Gen 4 IOR 3-18 FFP which is said to be vastly more reliable, and the Leupold Mk IV M5.

</div></div>

Nice, who said that, IOR, which was what was said during GEN 1, 2, & 3... as much as I may dislike things Leupold has done, I would still invest in the M5 before an IOR...

Take the turret caps off and compare what you see to 99% of the scopes out there, that tells the tale in a lot of ways. Gen 4 simply means they got it wrong 3x...

Id have a sightron Gen 111 , reliable tracking , very reasonable optics and generally reliable .I have had NF5.5 -22 sold that and got a S&B5X25 FANTASTIC SCOPE -Then got a Sightron 10x 50 power and am really enjoying shooting that out to 1 kilometer -so easy to see where I miss so I can then hit .As I say I feel I would be buying well with the Sightron 111 scopes except they would be better with a common mil turret mil dot system rather than a "blend "

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been very impressed with the Bushnell 4200 3-12X44 for the price. It offers FFP, mil knobs, and illumination for under $700. They have glass I put on par with regular NF NXS's, and seem to track reliably.

If you don't mind fixed power there is the SS10X42 HD. I personally don't have any experience with it, but it seems to get great feedback and if it's anything like the standard SS's they're tough as nails and track perfect. Glass quality is said to be very good, and it also has mil knobs to match the reticle like the bushnell.

I wouldn't say either of these are as good as a NF, but they are certainly great alternatives. </div></div>

Has anyone done an in depth review yet on this scope?

If it tracks, the reticle is true, and the POI doesnt change through the zoom range, I could be convinced to buy one to try.

Chris

+1 on Bushnell products

They tend to pack some decent features for the amount of coin you pay.

I can vouch for Bushnell's customer service should it be needed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Santo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can vouch for Bushnell's customer service should it be needed. </div></div>
Don't mean to criticize here. But - Bushnell has the worst CS of all major scope manufacturers, and their warranty is not transferable. The web is crammed is people who complain about how they were treated, and how Bushnell refused to honor their warranty.

The 4200 and 6500 lines are OK lines, but the warranty is so-so and the CS is way, way below average for scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maestro</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Runner ups were the new 4th Gen 4 IOR 3-18 FFP which is said to be vastly more reliable, and the Leupold Mk IV M5.

</div></div>

Nice, who said that, IOR, which was what was said during GEN 1, 2, & 3... as much as I may dislike things Leupold has done, I would still invest in the M5 before an IOR...

Take the turret caps off and compare what you see to 99% of the scopes out there, that tells the tale in a lot of ways. Gen 4 simply means they got it wrong 3x... </div></div>

That at least makes me feel a little warmer and fuzzy about the new M5 ...just got one last week... and am going to do a box test on it later this week ... still love my Nightforce

i have the sightron sIII and while i like the glass, i am not as impressed with rest of scope as most people are. the glass on my elite 4200 8-32 i felt was just as good as the sigtron and it was quite repeatable. i tried one of their 4200 6-24x50 mildot and the glass in it wasnt even close. i guess i may try the new 3-12 ffp since i have a trade offer for the sightron. i really want to get my hands on the ss10xhd if anyone wants to part with one.

chuck

i sent in a trade request to swfa and they wanted to give me $450 for my sIII 6-24! and, as i live in texas, i will have to pay the bullshit taxes.

chuck

Your better off to sell your scope on open market. Any scope seller/retailer would have to offer you a low price so they could make a slight profit off it when they sell it again. Not as bad a car dealer.

The Super Sniper 3-9 and fixed 10HD are fantastic scopes for the money. Great quality and durability at a great price. Many companys should look at how SWFA does it because if the others dont change one day SWFA will run a bunch of them out of business.

Lowlight I have not looked at an IOR in several years and after reading your recent take I dont need to. Same old story.

lowlight,

when will your review of the 3-12 bushnell be available?

chuck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: selfbowhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is there any other scope that offers the repeatablitiy of the nightforce for less money?</div></div>In a word: Nope. But the Super Snipers I have tested track well. Get the standard 10x with MOA knobs if you're on a budget. It works.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: selfbowhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lowlight,

when will your review of the 3-12 bushnell be available?

chuck</div></div>

I will try to get it up this week...

You're not missing anything Mike.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: selfbowhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i sent in a trade request to swfa and they wanted to give me $450 for my sIII 6-24! and, as i live in Texas, i will have to pay the bullshit taxes.

chuck </div></div>

We'll up our offer by 8.25% and cover shipping.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: selfbowhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i sent in a trade request to swfa and they wanted to give me $450 for my sIII 6-24! and, as i live in Texas, i will have to pay the bullshit taxes.

chuck </div></div>

We'll up our offer by 8.25% and cover shipping. </div></div>

All the more reason I like these guys. Need a variable scope for my AR.308. I wanted to get something that went to at least 10-12x, but seeing stuff like this makes me just want to get the SWFA anyway.

another vote for the 3-12 ffp bushnell great deal for money, and they are roughly half of a nxs plus they are ffp matching reticle/turrets. i haven't had mine long enough for a reliability report but it does have lifetime warranty and if it breaks its not the end of the world to me because i don't need it for work. i am strictly a recreational shooter, shooting tac matches, varmint shooting and hunting.

swfa,

thanks for the offer but i feel like i would still be taking a beating. how about making me a heck of a deal on the ss10xHD you have on the sample list?

chuck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: selfbowhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i wish i could afford to put a nightforce on every rifle i own but that is not feasible for me. is there any other scope that offers the repeatablitiy of the nightforce for less money? i dial in all extended range shots and perfect repeatability is parmount. i actually prefer fixed power optics if that helps. suggestions?

chuck</div></div>

....dude...get up off the couch and ditch the internet for a while.....

BR,

not only do i have a full time shift work job, i also farm part time and have managed to build a new house in the last 6 months. i dont know if you are suggesting that i am lazy or that i should work more but perhaps you should refrain from making these comments just because you think you can.

P.S.- over 13,000 posts! now who has been flattening his nut sack on the couch?

chuck

The super sniper HD is an outstanding scope for the money, just limits you with the fixed power but other than that its hard to beat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: selfbowhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have the sightron sIII and while i like the glass, i am not as impressed with rest of scope as most people are. the glass on my elite 4200 8-32 i felt was just as good as the sigtron and it was quite repeatable. i tried one of their 4200 6-24x50 mildot and the glass in it wasnt even close. i guess i may try the new 3-12 ffp since i have a trade offer for the sightron. i really want to get my hands on the ss10xhd if anyone wants to part with one.

chuck </div></div>

I've found the same thing.6-24x40 and 8-32x40 are some of the clearest scopes I've had.They are akin to the old B&L's.Bushnell bought them out.Once an acquaintance tried to trade me his brand new 6-24x50 for my 8-32x40 and my answer was,no way
smile.gif

Bushnell 3-12x44 are excellent scopes!Good glass.There's nothing really to complain about for the money spent.

If you can't afford a Nightforce, get a Nikon. Although they don't come in fixed power. Double check on their elevation moa. As the power goes up Nikons have less and less elevation moa. How far do you want to shoot?

I would look at the Leupold MK4 M5 and as it has been recommend a few times the USO ST10s are also very nice.

Mike @ CST

If anything was as good as a Nightforce for less money, why would people buy NF's? Think about that one...

i didnt mean suggest that something may be as good overall as nightforce. i was hoping something was as REPEATABLE for less money. i am finishing up an EDGE for myself if i ever find time and shoot to 1550yds with my 6.5 and the EDGE i built my buddy.

chuck

I just moved up to a 8x32 NXS NightForce from a fixed 20X Super Sniper. And I'm keeping the SS as my backup* because it's so good. Box test works and I go from 200yds to 1K with a .223 in F T/R, so the elevation knob gets a workout and goes back to zero every time. 150moa elevation is awfully nice, too.

* I know, I don't need anything to back up a NF.....

gotta get my hands on the ssHD. if the standard SS is that good, the HD must be just about perfect. thanks for all the replies.

chuck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IOR, even has better glass. </div></div>

The IOR I owned several years ago strained my eyes like a bad pair of glasses - and I wear glasses.

Selfbowhunter I also work 2 jobs too make a living and support my family. The flat sack comment about Bolttripper made me spit my drink out. Great comeback , not all of us can spend all day on the net to get thousands of posts . We are out trying to keep a roof over our kids heads and the lights on.

Maybe he just types replies 15000/7 times faster than you
smile.gif

If you cant afford the best, do what you can. No one is judged by the optic they have. At least not outside of snipershide.

Chris

i traded the sightron for the bushnell ffp 3-12 and i think i found a deal on the SS10xHD! life is pretty good at the moment it seems. hope to compare the two soon.

chuck

I just bought a NF 8-32 NXS and it's an investment for me. The reason I say this is I'm a photographer and sold one of my prim Nikon lens to get it. I bought the lens 4 years ago for $1200 and sold it, due to inflation etc, for $1400. Good quaility glass and great workmanship with a high demand on the use market make a scope like NF a no brainer for me. You will not loose money if you plan on keeping it for awhile. With that said if you aren't commited to shooting get a Wotac 4-14 for $329 from Matt at Wonder Optics..I have this one also and it's a great scope for the price, just wanted more power. Anything inbetween did not turn me on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lexington</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IOR, even has better glass. </div></div>

The IOR I owned several years ago strained my eyes like a bad pair of glasses - and I wear glasses. </div></div>

I had a fixed 6x IOR that you could hardly even look through.. The most unforgiving eye relief I have ever tried. Sold it for a loss.

I have a NF Bench Rest and a Bushnell 6500. I don't see twice as much quality in the Nightforce over the Bushnell. They both track well, and the Bushnell actually has better eye relief, but its not as clear...although its very very close.

I did have a super sniper 10X...didn't track worth a darn, and the eye relief was crazy. There was one spot, and only one spot were you could see the full field of view.

The scope I am most impressed with is my ACOG, but its only 4x

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: selfbowhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i traded the sightron for the bushnell ffp 3-12 and i think i found a deal on the SS10xHD! life is pretty good at the moment it seems. hope to compare the two soon.

chuck </div></div>

Let us know what you think of them when you get them.