• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Anything better sub $200?

SN13

Impatient
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2009
West Palm Beach, FL
Let me preface.

Not my scope.
Not my rifle.
Not my money.

Buddy needs a scope.

His budget is $200 max.

He has no idea what he wants.

I want to get him.FFP, mil/mil. And 10-14x top end for shooting 200-300 max.

Just needs to be a solid Zero and ok glass.

Here's my suggestion:
Bushnell Nitro 2.5-10x44

I've dealt with @gr8fuldoug and have zero worries sending my poor buddy there to spend money.

Anyone have another sub $200 suggestion?

Last edited:
Any idea what he might want to do once he starts shooting more? Is he the kind of guy that you see getting into longer range shooting? Or just a hunter?
Also, what kind of rifle is this for and what part of the world does he live in?

I know you said he doesn't know what he wants, but you probably have a decent idea of what would be good for him...since people usually "select their own" as far as homies are concerned.

If he can swing a few more bucks, the SWFA SS 10x is a solid option. But if he wants to hunt in and around Appalachia, the lower power variable that you already found is probably a better bet.

He's a super casual shooter.

He's going to shoot 100 rounds at a range each year, and maybe hunt once or twice.

Originally he said $100-$150.

So $200 is already pushing his budget.

Believe me, the 10x ss is great but out of budget.

So under $200 is the criteria. 😕

Natchez has some sub $200 scopes that might fit the bill. Maybe a refurb Nikon Prostaff 7 3-12x42. It does not sound like he will be a turret spinner anyway...just get a BDC reticle.

You can probably find a Vortex Crossfire II in a sub $200 range - my first scope was a Crossfire II in 6-24X50 and I was shooting sub MOA with a stock Savage 10 as soon as I got it zero'd. Great scope for the money if one is looking for cheap.

VooDoo

The Bushnell Nitro is solid for the money. Does he have to have FFP?

Not familiar with the Bushys in that price range but Bushnell has always bit me when it wasn’t their top end stuff. I would run as fast as I could from the Vortex Crossfires.

FFP and even probably mil/mil are getting into the lot-to-ask category at that price; I’d rather have better glass quality instead of better features at the $200 range.

I’ve got an old Nikon Prostaff 5 that I wouldn’t recommend but does work. Natchez is blowing them out.

My pick in this price range is Weaver by a long shot as long as you avoid the Kaspa and 44/40 lines. Natchez is typically the best source for these too. You can get Japanese glass for $200 and they track pretty well. Definitely a hunting orientation but again, best glass quality at $200.

Nitro is a great optic for the price. No frills kinda thing with good glass and FFP. I don’t see any reason to hold back on it for only $200. I have one and am happy with the money spent

Just got one of the nitros in 2-10 for a buddies rifle, I'm impressed with it so far being only a $200 dollar scope. Good clicks and clear glass.

If he will actually hunt, a variable power with the low end magnification of 4x or less will help. Your initial recommendation seems hard to improve upon . Weaver or Athlon might be worth a look.

I don't want him using trash.
Not to be a dick , but if he is your buddy and you want him to have something decent, ( Not Trash ) maybe you could help him out by chipping in .

You should look for one of the old weaver 3-10 or 3-9 scopes. I do not recall if the one in my head is FFP or not. However, I still think it'll be a better choice.

Reactions: stilesg57
I am assuming he means hunting deer. I would look at the bottom of the magnification range more than the top. If you are all dialed in at 12 or 14 power and Bambi's dad walks out at 50m, you will never find him in the scope, let alone the spot you want to make the clean shot at. Field of View at low power is more important than how much you can zoom in at 300m. Also, if your target is at 300m, you can adjust your carefully zoom in if needed and not spook the game. I would look for a scope with a low end at or below 3x. I have a Leupold 2.5-8x36 on my deer gun. Works well close in, and when I was at 300M range I was able to hit my target.

My dad's Savage .30-06 came with a Bushnell 3-9 scope factory mounted and it did well for him the half dozen seasons of hunting he was able to enjoy before he passed. I don't think it is Bushnell's top shelf scope, but even now it is rather clear. I haven't been able to bring myself to take it to the range. Part because it is his. And part because I have my .30-06 bolt gun next to it.

If he will actually hunt, a variable power with the low end magnification of 4x or less will help. Your initial recommendation seems hard to improve upon . Weaver or Athlon might be worth a look.

It would have to be used or new old stock for Weaver, their scope line is no more.

Your initial choice is a good one and the only choice for FFP. The only other one I would consider is the SFP Burris E1 4.5-14 with the long range MOA.

Both are very solid options and ANYTHING VORTEX IN THAT PRICE RANGE IS COMPLETE TRASH

Reactions: Zip Detmer
For the price 200 there have a few good scopes here from Vortex and Leupold. Vortex Diamondback, Crossfire II 4-12x44 and Leupold VX-Freedom 174180 3-9x40 are good choice for this price range. If can add a bit more money the fixed power Immersive Prism Scopes are very nice. I bought a 10×40 and absolutely love it. It is for Airgun or non-recoiling guns only as it has very little eye relief.

Last edited: