• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

anything better than a 10/22

Re: anything better than a 10/22

You mean similar to the 10/22? I opted for a T/C R-55 for a semi 22lr instead. Yeah, it was a bit more spendy but it shoots like a dream. It doesn't have all the aftermarket stuff available like the Ruger, but I don't think it needs it. Plenty accurate, reliable, made in the US, good looking, great shooting.

If you're talking about any 22lr that's better than a 10/22 for under $500 then it depends on what you like. I'd definitely take my CZ 452 over the Ruger in a second. But I'm partial as well.

I've had better luck with the Marlin model 60's than I have with Ruger 10/22's. All of the semi-auto .22's seem to have problems if you don't take care of them properly though.

i've run 5k rounds through my 10/22 this month... no problems other than a few ftfs... probably the ammo

Does anybody know what would be good spare parts to keep around for a 10/22?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: robpiat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anybody know what would be good spare parts to keep around for a 10/22?

</div></div>
A firing pin would be number one on your list! Anything else that gets alot of wear that you can change yourself wouldn't hurt to have around. I always keep the gear to rebuild my entire bolt on just about every gun. Have I ever had to use the extra parts, well no but its nice knowing they are there when I do.

I would suggest the smaller springs, firing pin, extractor and any small washer/spacer you happen to find when you take it apart.. actually I would suggest you just get some upgrade spares like trigger group or at least the springs and firing pin, extractor and maybe a hammer and sear assembly and keep the factory for just in case.. I like that approach much better... upgraded springs for use (probably never have any problem and will enjoy the shooting that much more) that is how I did it and I like it a lot...
I shot my factory gun many thousands of rounds over about twenty years, it seems and never had anything break... it did get dirty every few years or so...LOL
dk

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BePrepared</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i'm just wondering if there's anything more dependable than a 10/22 for under 500? </div></div>

A Savage Mk II.
wink.gif

I dont need wore than one shot so I got a bolt action

Better in what way?

An R-55 will be a more accurate 22 but it has a tighter chamber and some people have experienced firing from battery if you don't clean it regularly and feed it decent ammo.

I've owned an R-55 and T/C 22 Classic both shot excellent and were under $500. CZ 452/3's are also very good buys, I haven't heard of one that wasn't a shooter.

You should be able to find a used Sako Quad in that range and those are also nice guns for their price.

I like my 10/22, but wouldn't call it a model of dependability. The magazine isn't all that great for dependability, nor the extractor.

About any bolt action, pump, lever, or single-shot would easily trump it for dependability, in my opinion.

The 10/22 is tough to beat though for fun-factor, and customization options.

10-22: I sent my bolt off to Randy at CPC to polish and pin the firing pin. Replaced the stock extractor after the OEM one blew out. Got a bigger cocking handle with better action spring.

Love it. So does my son.

Marlin 39a, takedown model w/scope

Remington 13T
Remington 581
Winchester 54
Remington or Winchester pump
Browning .22 auto

Ruger MkII bull barrel target w/scope
S&W model 41 w/scope

Takedown model 39 or target pistol w/scope is better than a 10/22

Want a real fine .22 autoloader, get a Weatherby.

Although the 10/22 Mannlicher is a very fine looker....

Yet another vote for a Savage MkII - pretty decent rifle for the money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steelhead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had better luck with the Marlin model 60's than I have with Ruger 10/22's. All of the semi-auto .22's seem to have problems if you don't take care of them properly though. </div></div>

+1 - have 2 of them, one from the 1960's and one from the 1970's.

the 60's model was my dads, the 70 model was mine from 8 years old

They still fire and function flawlessly.

I recently inherited a Savage "Stevens" model 778 though - I like that I can remove the bolt etc with little to no effort for cleaning.

and the old bolt action Winchester 72A's - that's the most accurate 22 I've shot - including the match rifle I shot in small bore - those 72A's are sweet.

10/22's - had 1 and the magazine kept jamming it up - piece of crap - sold it....

Versatility I think as far as I am concerned goes to the 10/22.

For accuracy +1 on the Savage Mark II, for fun a Spikes AR dedicated upper serves me well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slimguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For accuracy +1 on the Savage Mark II, for fun a Spikes AR dedicated upper serves me well. </div></div>
You are dead on about the Savage MK II. Mine is more accurate than I can shoot.

I agree with the guys above, Savage MK II for accuracy. The 10/22 does have some reliability issues like stovepipes & magazine jams. Overall the 10/22 is a great all-around gun, I'd say my Mossberg 702 Plinkster is more reliable; the firing pin hits harder and ejects a little better. I've taken rounds that failed to fire out of a 10/22, stuck them in my Mossberg and BANG everytime; but the Mossberg is a little less accurate than the 10/22 because it's very light and jumps around when shooting.

I've shot a couple of the Marlin bolt .22's and they were suprisingly accurate. 925 or something like that.

A Savage MKII has a better trigger though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ruger 77/22</div></div>

+1