• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anything special or different to handload for a T/C Pro Hunter Single shot rifle ?

NH4X

Master Of Sparks
Minuteman
May 19, 2020
Got a call ,buddy wants to work up hunting load for T/C single shot. Bump shoulders of fire formed brass the same as for a bolt gun,ie .001 - .002 ? Any other advice pertaining to loading for a T/C Pro Hunter.........." Appreciated "

ETA : This is a Pro Hunter Rifle ,not a T/C Contender.......not sure if any difference

Last edited:
7-08.......this is a " Pro Hunter Rifle "........thanks for link . Have not read it yet ,headed there now

The Encore should handle 7-08 without much trouble. The T/C and T/E limiting factor is bolt thrust. The larger the case head the more the action and lugs will stretch. Normal reloading practices are fine but remember it doesn't have camming extraction so hard stuck cases can break the extractor.

The Pro Hunter is an Encore model, not like a 60 year old Contender. It can handle anything within saami spec. Just make sure the shoulder is bumped sufficiently so the action opens and closes easily.

The Pro Hunter is an Encore model, not like a 60 year old Contender. It can handle anything within saami spec. Just make sure the shoulder is bumped sufficiently so the action opens and closes easily.

This is splitting hairs and outside of OP's questions but the Encore doesn't handle magnum cartridges well. Despite being SAAMI, RUM capacity cartridges will stretch an Encore frame to either frames' failure point or the brass' failure point (case head separation). 300WM is generally considered the ceiling for the action. This isn't to contradict you, you're more or less right, just adding an asterisk to your comment.

Reactions: camocorvette
https://www.youtube.com/c/JohnnysReloadingBench
does a lot of reloading and uses a tc contender in a lot of the video's not that it's perfect but I used a lot of the stuff he did in my reloading sometimes as a starting point so I did not have to just start reloading totally in the blind .

Ok ,men.....here's what happened today......gun showed up,its used when bought.....give a good cleaning.....no fire cranking........barrel looks like a "really good Savage " inside..... Drop some Superformance 139 sst Factory loads in it ...

1st shot - 3044
2nd shot - 3033
3rd shot - 3054

More details.to come........I'm fixin to eat supper ....bbl

ETA : sub MOA @ 100 yd...075 .....scope ain't trackin like I it should.....I'm not on trigger,and triggerer ain't no shooter......this will be interesting.,.....stay tuned

Last edited:
Just a heads up, those guns dont like to be dry fired. Theres a little spring in there it can cause issues with supposedly.

Make sure to bump the shoulder enough that the action will fully close AND allow you to cock the hammer.

Rimmed cartridges are best, but 7mm 08 will make a fine hunting rig there. The encore is the contenders big brother.

Just may have to bump shoulder a little more than normal in a bolt gun to guarantee function.

Ive seen plenty of those barrels shoot really well. Youll have it packing the deer out in no time.

Reactions: NH4X
Just a heads up, those guns dont like to be dry fired. Theres a little spring in there it can cause issues with supposedly.

Make sure to bump the shoulder enough that the action will fully close AND allow you to cock the hammer.

Rimmed cartridges are best, but 7mm 08 will make a fine hunting rig there. The encore is the contenders big brother.

Just may have to bump shoulder a little more than normal in a bolt gun to guarantee function.

Ive seen plenty of those barrels shoot really well. Youll have it packing the deer out in no time.

Appreciate the heads up .This is my first time loading for a T/C type action .

I ain't gonna be doing no packing deer out . My motto is, if I can't back up to it with a truck ,it gets to walk .Thems old man rules.

Youth hunt is this weekend ,gun is sighted in ,he has eleven rounds left in factory box . Good luck Rainer , make your shot count .I don't want to have to bring my tracking dog and climb them mountains looking for your deer.

I've been reloading 7-08 in an Encore pistol and rifle for years without issue. Bump the shoulder back .002", trim if necessary and you should be fine.

I always size the 1st case and check it in the chamber, close the action, and cock the hammer just to make sure before doing the rest. Never had to do anything different than F/L size.

Reactions: NH4X