• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anything wrong with a Winchester M70?

Whiskey Tango

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2008
Georgia
www.richardking.pro
I've been in the bolt gun game for a limited time and I'm beginning to try my wares into the F-class game. The readers digest version of my quest is this: Which is better, the Rem 700 or the Win M70? I know that the Rem 700 is very popular here, but what am I losing (or gaining) with going with a Win M70?

FWIW, I had a trade lined up for a Rem 700LA in 6.5x284 that fell through. Wanting to stick with that caliber in an already "built" gun, I have another possible trade in the same caliber but it is a M70 action.

Re: Anything wrong with a Winchester M70?

Which M70? Pre or post 64? Classic (CR feed) or new (push feed)?

Depends when it was built, but an M70 is still the better action IMEO.

Postitive feed/extraction and a better rifle in general. I'm not a huge fan of the Rem 700's, they're not bad rifles, but given the opportunity for an old M70 I'd take that instead for sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Whiskey Tango</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been in the bolt gun game for a limited time and I'm beginning to try my wares into the F-class game. The readers digest version of my quest is this: Which is better, the Rem 700 or the Win M70? I know that the Rem 700 is very popular here, but what am I losing (or gaining) with going with a Win M70?

FWIW, I had a trade lined up for a Rem 700LA in 6.5x284 that fell through. Wanting to stick with that caliber in an already "built" gun, I have another possible trade in the same caliber but it is a M70 action. </div></div>
<span style="font-style: italic">Personally,</span> I prefer the Pre-64 type, Classic Model 70 action (such as the FNH SPR rifles use) with CRF (<span style="font-style: italic">controlled round feed</span>). It has an extremely stong, positive extraction and ejection system as well as a much better safety that can not only block the firing pin but the bolt can be locked closed. Yeah, yeah - I never rely on any safety either since theres' no substitute for safe gun handling and common sense. But to say that the Remington M700's safety is as good as a Winchester M70 3-position safety is akin to saying that a lap seat belt is as good as a lap and shoulder seat belt.

And removing the Model 70's firing pin for inspection/cleaning is as easy as depressing a spring-loaded detent and spinning the shroud off. Also pretty cool to have an integrated lug (IMHO).

On the other hand, while there plenty of accessories available for the Model 70, the choice of aftermarket parts and accessories for the Model 700 is unrivaled in centerfire circles. And, due to the construction of the M700 any competent gunsmith with a lathe can work on it, although not to the level of precision as the "top" riflesmiths. Theres' a lot to be said for the ability to get repairs done locally.

That said, in the hands of a good riflesmith both platforms are more than capable of being built into tack-driving rifles that will outshoot most people on any given day. So there really is no wrong choice between the two. It really comes downs to personal preference.

Keith

M70, M700, M77, M10, M110, all very acceptable actions, take your pick. I have them all, they're all good. Chevy, Ford, Dodge; same difference. They all get you there, roughly the same price, roughly the same mileage. It's mostly a matter of taste and personal preferences.

Greg

I'm a fan of CF win/fn actions especially on a tactical rifle.That said for F class or high volume competition I would stick with a 700.Much easier and cheaper to get rebarreled.I would actually take it one step further and get a custom action such as a pheonix,stiller,lawton,bat etc.

I like my post 64 M70. i just posted on another thread about it. as long as its built right, why wouldnt it shoot. I dont have a M700 to compair it to, but mine shoots well for what it is.

Jerid

my m70 outshoots my pss all day long

I have a M700, M70 pre-64, and a GAP 7000. I currently have a M70 push-feed long action that I'm getting ready to take to the smith. Having them all, I would say that they all shoot better than me. Aside from the number of accessories for the M700, there is no discernible difference in the end result.