• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anything wrong with Surgeon?

Bakwa

Prophetic Marksman
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 22, 2017
    FL
    I'm about to embark on an traditional looking urban-sniper-ish build and don't think I want to go with a plane-Jane Remy 700 receiver. I still like that traditional aesthetic of the Rem700's though and I already have a bunch of stuff for the 700 footprint, so I don't want to stray into anything too different.

Amidst all of the new companies that are making great actions out there, I seldom here people speak about the good ol' Surgeon 591 actions anymore. Are they still a viable option compared to all the new out there, or have they been so outclassed in that price range that no one buys them anymore?

I'm considering buying this guy for a 18" 308 precise short handy thumper build. https://www.scopelist.com/surgeon-a...-with-a-bolt-face-for-473-cartridge-rims.aspx
    Am I missing much better options out there that still have that traditional 90's high speed urban sniper "look"?

Cheers

Prefits are available for many of their competitors, like the Impact 737, so people go that route.

Reactions: Bakwa
    I had a 6.5 Creedmoor built on a Surgeon 591 about 4 years ago before any of the newer offerings were out there (TL3, 737r, Lone Peak, etc.). Basically the two main options were a Surgeon or Defiance. I love my surgeon action. It runs in whatever conditions I put it through. It was my comp gun for a couple years and then I had a carbon barrel put on it for hunting. My hunting is mostly backcountry hunts in temps down to -30 so it gets abused.

Now... I did have a match rifle built on a Impact 737r last year and I have to say that I find the Impact feels a little more refined than the Surgeon. The ability to order a barrel from my gunsmith for the Impact without shipping it to him is probably the biggest perk. The bolt lift on the Impact is lighter and the action is also smoother. But again, they both shoot amazingly well.

I know that @MikeRTacOps will only build on a Surgeon or Remington so that says something. There's a long thread on here somewhere discussing that whole topic.

Reactions: Bakwa and toader
    Oklahoma Surgeon was better than Strategic Armory Corps Surgeon but I still wouldn’t hesitate to build one. Lots of good actions in that price range with that footprint. I’d probably choose an Impact now, that’s the real Surgeon DNA.

I wish they still did the Surgeon RSR, that’s your ticket if you want a perfect 700 that isn’t a 700.

Nothing wrong with a Surgeon. Had a rifle built on one about 10 years ago. Still running it on my .308 match rifle.

Another option now would be a Bighorn Origin. Same style look but $825, prefits available, bolt head change ability and 700 foot print.

I have 3 Surgeon actions & never had an issue over the 8 or 10 years I had them. They are my favorite action....built like a tank and operate in any conditions!!

I have a 591 that was built when Preston was still running the company, this action has around 12,000 rounds on it and runs great. I just ordered a Terminus Apollo barreled action from Straight Jacket, I don't think there is anything wrong with the 591's but with prefits for the newer actions I would not buy another one.

I heard that quality dropped and no longer a top name. Might want to do some more research

I bought a used Surgeon of the PX last year. It has many rounds through it, but it's smoooooooooth.

I've run it in a few comps and it hasn't let me down.

It is one of the OK versions for what that's worth.

Absolutely nothing wrong with a Surgeon. She was the hot girl in town for a while, but she aged a bit and a younger girl with bigger tits moved in to steal the glory (Impact). Quite honestly, an Impact doesn't really do anything that a Surgeon doesn't...

I would have zero problems running a Surgeon today, even with all the other actions available currently. And some mention the availability of prefits, but the later gen Surgeons are all held to a tight enough tolerance that prefits can and are being made for them as well, I do believe. The prefit thing is a bit overstated, have the action drop shipped to your gunsmith of choice and they can save your action measurements for feature "prefits". BOOM, now the rifle is instantly capable of prefits.

@MikeRTacOps thinks very highly of the Surgeons, and I think he would know a thing or two about "urban sniper rifles".

Yeah I am not saying that they are junk, I am just saying that there are a lot of options for a quality action. For what it is worth I will not sell my 591.

I’ll second what @Rob01 said. Look into the Origin. If you want to give one a try before dropping the coin, feel free to PM me.

Thanks for all the responses.

Yeah a TacOps would be amazing.
    I spoke with Mike several months ago and that was the plan. I just don't know if I can swing the bill in a responsible way. All of my gun money has been going towards overpriced ammo so I can continue training and shooting comps.

Plus I already have a Manners with a mini chassis standign by for this build. Anyone know if Mike will preform his magic on a Mannes with a mini chassis, or does he only use his predesignated stocks for his models. I just need to give him a call. I keep coming back to TacOps as what I really want to do.

Reactions: kthomas
    If you got the Manners already then get a Origin, prefit barrel of choice, trigger and barrel vise/action wrench and put it together at home for under $2000.

Oklahoma Surgeon was better than Strategic Armory Corps Surgeon but I still wouldn’t hesitate to build one. Lots of good actions in that price range with that footprint. I’d probably choose an Impact now, that’s the real Surgeon DNA.

I wish they still did the Surgeon RSR, that’s your ticket if you want a perfect 700 that isn’t a 700.
    I would say that WAS correct, however now that Preston is CEO of Strategic Armory, Surgeon's quality is just like it was in OK.

Anyone know if Mike will preform his magic on a Mannes with a mini chassis, or does he only use his predesignated stocks for his models. I just need to give him a call. I keep coming back to TacOps as what I really want to do.
    Call Mike again. If you have the itch for one of his rifles, nothing else will cure it.

I'm getting rid of some debt to make room for one of his rifles.

Reactions: Bakwa and kthomas
    If you are going to go with a MikeR rifle (and if you can, you should) you would be foolish to not utilize one of his stock designs. It will be excellent and have better resale value. No one wants a Porsche with Mercedes suspension. Nothing wrong with either but best to keep it all MikeR stock.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Bakwa and kthomas
    What should I be looking at to distinguish the quality of an Oklahoma made vs an Arizona made action? I have an OK 591, an OK 591WSM, and an AZ 591. Other than the sandblasting method used, I can't spot any differences.

I think Surgeon later converted to or offered non Rem type extractors. One thing I liked about the originals was the use of Rem parts.

Actually, not Remington but parts that would be interchangeable with Rem parts.

On .473" bolts, when they started offering an M16 extractor, you could choose a Rem style or an M16 style. It may still be that way.

My AZ made 591 has a Remington extractor.

I'm about to embark on an traditional looking urban-sniper-ish build and don't think I want to go with a plane-Jane Remy 700 receiver. I still like that traditional aesthetic of the Rem700's though and I already have a bunch of stuff for the 700 footprint, so I don't want to stray into anything too different.

Amidst all of the new companies that are making great actions out there, I seldom here people speak about the good ol' Surgeon 591 actions anymore. Are they still a viable option compared to all the new out there, or have they been so outclassed in that price range that no one buys them anymore?

I'm considering buying this guy for a 18" 308 precise short handy thumper build. https://www.scopelist.com/surgeon-a...-with-a-bolt-face-for-473-cartridge-rims.aspx
    Am I missing much better options out there that still have that traditional 90's high speed urban sniper "look"?

Cheers
    I have 4 OK surgeon actions, all from fairly early days of Surgeon. I have used them hard, never any issues. 3 of the 591's, in 6BR, .308, 6.5 Lapua, and a 1581 in 300 WM. No regrets.