• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyway to even out the audio?

AR15-SBR

Private
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2014
I just started downloading and listening to the show and love it. My issue is the volume of "guest" speakers. I adjust my playback volume for Franks voice, but then when some of the other guests start talking I can't hear them. Since I listen to the show while driving it gets kinda hard to continually adjust the volume.

Again love the show

Reactions: Mag1c-Mik3
I believe he mentions that if you have an android it is a known issue or something of that sorts. He also mentions that if you use podbean app that you should check the app settings and that there is a volume in it and it defaults to mid level.

It's annoying to achieve that level of audio quality... Frank would have to get two or three good $400 mics, a gate, a compressor, a mixing board, a USB interface and a ton of cables. I set that up for a DNR/forestry kinda podcast studio and it was a couple grand for a small increase in quality. I don't think they even use it because it is hard to operate.

Reactions: Mag1c-Mik3
Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know it was that complicated.

It's annoying to achieve that level of audio quality... Frank would have to get two or three good $400 mics, a gate, a compressor, a mixing board, a USB interface and a ton of cables. I set that up for a DNR/forestry kinda podcast studio and it was a couple grand for a small increase in quality. I don't think they even use it because it is hard to operate.

I actually use all that for the podcasts just of me,

The other ones are on either recorders or cheaper mobile mics, but we have "Good Audio" there is no issue unless it is a roadrip episode with road sounds that could not be cut out

I have boards, Rode Mics, compression, and I use Adobe Audition to record and clean it up with it

If you cannot hear you don't have it set up right in your app, the Podbean App defaults to a lower volume and there are settings within the app to boost the sound for phones and such. This is a not a Podcast issue but a User One

I actually use all that for the podcasts just of me,

The other ones are on either recorders or cheaper mobile mics, but we have "Good Audio" there is no issue unless it is a roadrip episode with road sounds that could not be cut out

I have boards, Rode Mics, compression, and I use Adobe Audition to record and clean it up with it

If you cannot hear you don't have it set up right in your app, the Podbean App defaults to a lower volume and there are settings within the app to boost the sound for phones and such. This is a not a Podcast issue but a User One
Make sure all mics run through the same compressor and are barely getting clipped by the compressor at normal talking levels. That way everyone will end up at the same volume. You probably know but setting up a multi-input compressor correctly/effectively can be tricky.

Very tricky!

A gate is the other secret sauce for sure.

The podbean half volume thing is what gets most people for sure.

I would make the analogy that you are shooting out to 800 yards at this point and a few knob tweaks here and there will get you to a mile with all listeners pleased as punch.

I bet I am far from the only sound guy on here...consider us a resource for sure we are all pretty helpful dudes.

Also, hearing from random people that you have audio issues is fucking maddening for the engineer, so major props for not flaming out on everyone that complains!!

I need to tune up the call in, Caylen was my first phone interview and he sounded a bit underwater.

That part I need to fix up, but for the most part it sounds fairly decent for an app on the phone, as I think the crush to mp3 muddies it up a bit. I record it in WAV and then I have to convert it for Podbean to MP3

I will say I am getting tired of TASCAM, my recorder has been giving me trouble for a while now and it's fairly new. So the mobile recording switched to my Ipad with a USB Mic vs a dedicated recorder like my DR100 MKIII

the worst part of sound is am I am deaf from all the shooting, that doesn't help
I used to have a small recording studio and would laugh at the deaf ass band members. It was usually the bass player who had stood in front of a 8 ft bass cabinet for 10 years telling me that his track in the song didn't sound loud enough. Your track doesn't sound loud enough because you can't hear shit! lmao.

I tend to work via the scopes and meters, keeping on an eye on the levels more so than worrying about how it sounds to me

After that I tend to trust in Audition to do it right for me LOL

"the worst part of sound is am I am deaf from all the shooting, that doesn't help"

Amen to that. When we were younger we would choose the guns we liked to shoot by how much it made our ears hurt the next day. Not to mention the 36,000 rounds of 22lr we shot in our pistols every year