• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyword on a new Vortex Razor Bino with AB?

Tankhunna

Private
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2018
Any word down the great vine of a new set of binoculars equipped with Applied Ballistics (AB)? I'm curious to know if there have been any recent updates, discussions, or hints regarding new vortex binos with AB.

I actually called Vortex less than a week ago and asked same question.
Answer was no plans in near future to change so with SHOT less than 4 months doesn’t sound like it.

Reactions: Tankhunna
I asked Vortex directly within a couple of months of the GeoBallistics acquisition.

I was told that the Fury line will be the last Vortex products to use AB. All future rangefinders w/ ballistics computers will use GeoBallistics. However, those are supposed to be ways off & the Furys will be sold with AB for the foreseeable future (no, we're not going to be given dates). Releasing a new Bino/RF product @ SHOT 2024 seems unlikely to me, as I imagine they're going to change more than just the software. A 1 year turnaround is possible... but unlikely.

Regardless, hopefully the cost savings from not having to pay the AB license will go into 1) a faster computer & 2) Razor-level glass (Furies use Viper-level glass).If they make those 2 changes, I'll probably get them. If not, I'll bump up to Swaro or something else.

A 1 year turnaround is possible... but unlikely.
Well, Vortex is already offering the Impact 4000 with GeoBallistics onboard. (edit: I totally forgot about the Razor HD 4000 GB)

I'm guessing Vortex began working on that unit long before the GeoBallistics acquisition, which suggests it isn't too difficult to switch from AB to GB on the same or mostly the same hardware.

I think you can count on not seeing a Gen2 Fury 5000 AB.

Last edited:
This is pure speculation. This year we've seen the new Razor 4000 GB and now rumor of a new Impact 4000 rail mounted LRF as mentioned above. For reasons also mentioned above the Fury 5000 AB will not get any update which opens the door for the next LRF unit to focus on being a Razor quality level bino LRF with GB, my guess/hope is they are also working on a longer range LRF unit, since Sig already has the Kilo 10k we might see something within that range, since Vortex owns GB now they don't have to worry about licensing which gives them a unique opportunity in the marketplace to offer advanced ballistics at a lower price or keep price close to competition and improve optics quality. If Vortex were to come out with a Razor 10k GB Bino... well, you can sign me up right now as Razor glass is quite a bit better than anything that doesn't have a German/Austrian label on it ;)

That's exactly my hope. I can't find anything on how fast the Razor 4000 GB calculates a ballistics solution, although people say they're "fast" and "quick".

Even though I think my Fury 5000 ABs are waaaay too slow, I'll probably just hold onto them. That said, I'll be first in line for Razor glass + a faster computer.

That's exactly my hope. I can't find anything on how fast the Razor 4000 GB calculates a ballistics solution, although people say they're "fast" and "quick".

Even though I think my Fury 5000 ABs are waaaay too slow, I'll probably just hold onto them. That said, I'll be first in line for Razor glass + a faster computer.
Maybe @MOUNTIC can chime in as I had my 4000 GB and he had his Sig Kilo 5k and he was hand holding on some trees in the far off distance last weekend at our ELR shoot. I couldn't get numbers on the trees with my 4000 GB, but he could with his Sig 5k so I handed him my 4000 GB and he was able to get a reading on the trees, that tells me his hands are steadier than mine. I will try to get the 4000 GB on a tripod and see how far I can push the distance. What I can confirm is what others have mentioned, it is "fast" to display a solution and it displays the solution "better" than my Leica 2800.com's

UPDATE: I didn't realize that I had the 4000 GB on "First" at the time and for ranging past 2000 should have had it on ELR mode. Menu system is taking me a bit to get used to.

Last edited:
Reactions: R_A_W
Maybe @MOUNTIC can chime in as I had my 4000 GB and he had his Sig Kilo 5k and he was hand holding on some trees in the far off distance last weekend at our ELR shoot. I couldn't get numbers on the trees with my 4000 GB, but he could with his Sig 5k so I handed him my 4000 GB and he was able to get a reading on the trees, that tells me his hands are steadier than mine. I will try to get the 4000 GB on a tripod and see how far I can push the distance. What I can confirm is what others have mentioned, it is "fast" to display a solution and it displays the solution "better" than my Leica 2800.com's
My 4000 with GB works great but like you I can’t hold it still or any other LRF still enough for real long ranges. I attach to tripod

Reactions: Glassaholic
My 4000 with GB works great but like you I can’t hold it still or any other LRF still enough for real long ranges. I attach to tripod
Are you using a dedicated bino and LFR? Still debating on getting a all in one solution or getting binos and a LFR seperate

The Razor GB spits the solution back to you in about 1/2 a sec. It's really fast.

Reactions: R_A_W
Anybody who knows anything about stuff like that can’t talk about it, so why do you think they would privilege you with that information?

Well for one, I'm employed at Vortex. For 2, the Razor GB has been out for a few months and is not secret information. If you have any other questions you need answered, you can email me at [email protected]

Cool story, I wasn’t replying to you though and I’m sure you know that details generally can’t be shared about products in development…

Reactions: Sig Marine
The title of this thread is New Razor Bino with AB, the confusion may come from the the switch about midway to the Razor 4000 GB which is a monocular that was released earlier this year, but the thread is about a product that does not exist so I can see how it would be confusing for some to think someone might be asking for an information leak on a product that has not been announced.

This is pure speculation. This year we've seen the new Razor 4000 GB and now rumor of a new Impact 4000 rail mounted LRF as mentioned above. For reasons also mentioned above the Fury 5000 AB will not get any update which opens the door for the next LRF unit to focus on being a Razor quality level bino LRF with GB, my guess/hope is they are also working on a longer range LRF unit, since Sig already has the Kilo 10k we might see something within that range, since Vortex owns GB now they don't have to worry about licensing which gives them a unique opportunity in the marketplace to offer advanced ballistics at a lower price or keep price close to competition and improve optics quality. If Vortex were to come out with a Razor 10k GB Bino... well, you can sign me up right now as Razor glass is quite a bit better than anything that doesn't have a German/Austrian label on it ;)
Razor level binos with GB on board (and maybe an etched milling reticle) would make this guy one happy camper!

The guy is asking if a Razor level BLRF with AB is in the works, I don't see what's so hard to understand. He's not asking about any of the current products or the Raptar knockoff that was just released.