• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes AO (lack) in some high $ scopes

mosin46

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2010
florida 32621
refering to some of the very expensive european scopes: many don't have AO despite several being high magnification. more are showing up now with AO of some sort. but,seems to me most still lack that feature. is there somethiing in the philosophy of these makers that makes them feel this is not needed?

Re: AO (lack) in some high $ scopes

Guessing adjustable objective?

Some scopes have fixed parallax and don't come with any sort of parallax adjustment. Some have side focus/parallax which is easy to use while in the prone.

kind of counter intuitive, but AO is more important for precision close in shooting than distance, most non AO scopes are parallax free at 100yd so 75 to about 200 yds is reasonable for hunting use, so the market is there even in high $$ scopes. The other thing is, a lot of folks buying a scope for hunting have no idea about the existence or use of AO so it is not a selling point.

No, he's not talking about Adjustable Objective. He's talking about Adaptive Optics. It's used in telescopes and such.

The answer is because the distances we shoot is really too short for AO to be a major consideration.

I doubt he's talking about adaptive optics, since those are reflector-type systems employing highly complex computer controlled mirrors. That would be a bit cumbersome to build into a riflescope.

Pretty sure he's just talking about parallax adjustment. Looking through the Zeiss, S&B, and Swarovski hunting scopes, all of them up to 12x or so don't have any. All of the higher power models that I looked at do though, so I don't know what he's talking about.

adjustable objective. i was just wondering why lack in v.expensive scopes but the question was answered re not being a selling point for some folks. thanks.