• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

APA Fat Bastard Gen-3 Muzzle Brake (First Shots)

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    Got one of these for the .338 Lapua barrel kit for my Barrett MRAD. Shot with the .338 barrel yesterday for the first time. Never shot anything that "beefy" before. I was expecting a "bang" slightly larger than my 300 Win Mag barrel ... but ... DAMN !!! The bad news is that the concussion and noise are huge. The good news is that this awesome brake totally tames the recoil and allows for a normal cheek and shoulder pressure. Didn't get around to tuning with the elevation ports, but that's planned for the next trip. Good thing I had the range to myself yesterday. The look I'd get from anybody on a nearby bench ... would not reflect much affection. The side concussion on the first round, launched a set of reading glasses sideways (a lot). Found them on the concrete, two benches away. Bottom line ... this muzzle brake totally tamed this "Recoil Monster". I just can't imagine what the recoil would be like without a substantial brake like this one. Totally happy I didn't go "cheap" on a muzzle brake for this .338 barrel.

MRAD Range Day.jpg

Reactions: 10ring1
    How was the bipod hop and recoil management when shooting on that bench? My range has concrete benches and they are useless for the 338 so I always shoot prone with great results.

I use the AI brake on my AXMC and it has good results.

Wonder how much better this is..

How was the bipod hop and recoil management when shooting on that bench? My range has concrete benches and they are useless for the 338 so I always shoot prone with great results.

Bipod "hop" seemed to be consistently "left" by a couple of feet at 100 yards (1/2" on the bench). I'd always end up looking two targets over to the left ... shooting at those 1-foot square splatter targets. Pretty sure I can use the elevation ports to put "right-down" pressure on the brake, and mostly tune this out of it. That's my weekend project.

Wondering about the disadvantages to concrete benches.

Wondering about the disadvantages to concrete benches.

I have had a hard time with the large magnum cartridges and the feet on my bipod on a concrete bench. The blast makes it difficult to control the rifle and keeping it from hopping.

I have no issue when firing from a wooden bench or from the prone position on a mat.

Reactions: JOS
    Did you happen to “tune” the ports on the top... all out? Curios to see how it turned out... I’m testing my Thursday... thanks!

Reactions: 10ring1