• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

APA Fat Bastard vs. Badger FTE on .338LM...

Victor Co Heather

Victor Company USA
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2006
SOCAL USA
www.victorcompanyusa.com
I recently purchased an AIAW 338LM from another shooter here on the hide. He bought it new and had the barrel rethreaded from metric to an american thread (28x3/4) to fit a suppressor. He also had it fitted with an APA Fat Bastard brake.

When I bought it I wanted to return it to an OEM look so I put an Badger FTE brake so it would look and perform like the original AI brake. (was easier to put an FTE rather than rethreading the barrel again back to metric). My smith did this without reprofiling the end of the barrel, he simply opened up the inside of the FTE and it was a perfect fit:

IMG_8652.jpg

So I finally got to take it to the range and it shot great, the only thing was it kicked a bit more than my little girl shoulder was used to. I shot about 20 rounds and was surprised how much of a flinch I developed. So I decided to do a test today and shoot the FTE against the APA Fat Bastard Brake to see which tames the recoil/gas better.

Started at the range with the FTE strapped on:

L1080492.jpg

Was shooting factory 300 grain Black Hills:

L1080516.jpg

For size comparison, here is a .260 remington next to the .338 Lapua Magnum round:

L1080499.jpg

I shot 10 rounds with the FTE and noticed it likes to buck a bit. I wiped the tears from my eyes with the kleenex from my purse and took the FTE off. It came off very easily once the hex screw was loosened.

L1080495.jpg

Then I screwed on the Fat Bastard. Imho, it's not real pretty... but it's got a bunch of chambers.

L1080493.jpg

L1080511.jpg

After 10 rounds with the Fat Bastard I was certain of which brake works better.... the Fat Bastard won hands down. Clearly the four port design has much more surface area and the angles of the vent cut the felt recoil down easily by half. I shot a total of 28 more rounds and didn't flinch a bit. I was really impressed.

L1080494.jpg

While I'm a purist for AI, it's true blasphemy to put an aftermarket brake on such a beautiful rifle. If the recoil of the .338 is troublesome, I would recommend the Fat Bastard as a 'not as pretty as the FTE' but much more effective way to tame the recoil.

Re: APA Fat Bastard vs. Badger FTE on .338LM...

I would figure the same thing with the Fat Bastard it looks terrible,(almost looks like a can with ports in it that's how long it is) but if your looking for functionality that will be the one to go with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pinkMiST aG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would figure the same thing with the Fat Bastard it looks terrible,(almost looks like a can with ports in it that's how long it is) but if your looking for functionality that will be the one to go with. </div></div>

I think what I don't like about it is the nose is pointy. If it were flat like it's little brother (the little bastard) then it would look better.

You never posted the tip of the FB.

Everything can't be pretty lol. I am more for functionality rather than looks. I'm guessing your different.

Regarding Fat Bastard aesthetics... I think they look much more pleasing when machined to match the barrel:

338E5.jpg

Thanks for the head to head comparison. Nice to know where they stand performance wise.

Yep , dem boys down in Ga. know how to make da good shit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep , dem boys down in Ga. know how to make da good shit. </div></div>
.....nevermind won't comment

Also I agree when it fits the barrel like that looks a lot better.

I think the Fat Bastard looks great as it is. The downside is now you'll have to lose the purse.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the Fat Bastard looks great as it is. The downside is now you'll have to lose the purse. </div></div>

but it matches my heels.

We leave them all flat on the back so they can be contoured to any barrel. That was the idea any way. Why someone would go through the trouble to install one and not blend it in We may never know. They do look like crap if they aren't finished.

I'm glad you like the performance. If you want it to look right ship it down and we'll get her squared away for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJoplin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We leave them all flat on the back so they can be contoured to any barrel. That was the idea any way. Why someone would go through the trouble to install one and not blend it in We may never know. They do look like crap if they aren't finished.

I'm glad you like the performance. If you want it to look right ship it down and we'll get her squared away for you. </div></div>

That's customer service!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJBello</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Regarding Fat Bastard aesthetics... I think they look much more pleasing when machined to match the barrel:

338E5.jpg

Thanks for the head to head comparison. Nice to know where they stand performance wise. </div></div>

That just looks clean.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJoplin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We leave them all flat on the back so they can be contoured to any barrel. That was the idea any way. Why someone would go through the trouble to install one and not blend it in We may never know. They do look like crap if they aren't finished.

I'm glad you like the performance. If you want it to look right ship it down and we'll get her squared away for you. </div></div>

Hey Jered,

Thanks for the offer, I think it would look much better with it tapered. (Sorry I hope I didn't offend)

With that said it is a great piece of engineering either way- those chambers really knock down the recoil. Well done!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJoplin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We leave them all flat on the back so they can be contoured to any barrel. That was the idea any way. Why someone would go through the trouble to install one and not blend it in We may never know. They do look like crap if they aren't finished.

Hey Jared,

Thanks for the offer, I think it would look much better with it tapered. (Sorry I hope I didn't offend)

With that said it is a great piece of engineering either way- those chambers really knock down the recoil. Well done!

</div></div>

I'm glad you like it.
The offer still stands if you want it blended in on the rear of it. It would need to be recoated but that's it. All I would need is the barrel. Your call.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJoplin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJoplin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We leave them all flat on the back so they can be contoured to any barrel. That was the idea any way. Why someone would go through the trouble to install one and not blend it in We may never know. They do look like crap if they aren't finished.

Hey Jered,

</div></div>

I'm glad you like it.
The offer still stands if you want it blended in on the rear of it. It would need to be recoated but that's it. All I would need is the barrel. Your call.

Jered, I'm going to have my local guy taper the end to match the bbl this week, it'll be easier because I'm going there anyway for another project. Thanks for the offer, you guys are great.

I'll post pics when next weekend.

MV

UPDATE:

Here are some pics of the newly tapered Fat Bastard. It's probably the most effective brake that I've ever used. Shot 15 .338LM rounds (strings of 5) and it was easy to watch the hits at 300-600 yards. Looks much better with the back tapered imo.

L1080555.jpg

L1080554.jpg

L1080553.jpg

L1080558.jpg

L1080564.jpg

What contour and length is that barrel?

I too looked at the FB & FTE while trying to figure out what I was gonna run on my 700 MLR. After having run the FTE on other rifles, I went ahead with the FTE. As it comes in the 5/8x24 thread, it was a no brainer. Took it to the 'smith after I removed the factory brake and never looked back.

In the future, if I go with a full custom, I will try the FB. Can't speak in regards to the FB on recoil reduction. However, my MLR has about the same recoil as a .308 without a brake running the FTE. It is more than comfortable running 250's and 300's and can't complain a bit.

Here's mine set up with the FTE,

100_0722.jpg

I think a big draw to the FTE is that it is not timed. Just unscrew 1 1/2 turn and it just spins out and then i can screw on my can and go from there. The FB has to be timed which makes the idea of taking it off and on and putting a can less desirable. I literally can unscrew my FTE and thread a new can on in less than a minute.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alpha6164</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think a big draw to the FTE is that it is not timed. Just unscrew 1 1/2 turn and it just spins out and then i can screw on my can and go from there. The FB has to be timed which makes the idea of taking it off and on and putting a can less desirable. I literally can unscrew my FTE and thread a new can on in less than a minute. </div></div>

That's true but if I had a can for it, I'd only run it with a can- no need for a break. Since the good people of California like to live in ignorant fear, they remain illegal for me to own.

So my interests are cutting recoil as much as possible and the Fat Bastard definitely works better than the FTE.

eta- and the fat bastard actually comes off faster than my FTE - tho I know one is not supposed to take timed brakes off and on a lot.