• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

APA Sako Quad 22 Trainer Range Report *Updated*

NorCal Vu

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2004
Sacramento Area
Rifle Specs:

Built by American Precision Arms.
Sako Quad Action
Lilja Barrel chambered for Eley EPS Match. 21"
Manners T4 Stock Bedded
USO 20MOA Base
APA Tactical Bolt Handle
Eagle Stock Pack

Optics:
Nightforce NXS 3-15X 50mm NPR1

CIMG1118.jpg

CIMG1119.jpg

The chamber on this rig is so tight Winchester 22 Target would not even chamber.

I ended up with some SK Match 40gn ammo. $53.00 per box of 500, kind of rough but considering the cost of shooting my 260rem or 243win it is very reasonable.

Conditions: 85 degrees
Wind: 5-7 mph from 1-2 oclock

I sighted in @ 25 yards first and then moved out to 50yards. Targets are below. First 25yard group was the same as the one pictured but was high off target.

CIMG1120.jpg

CIMG1121.jpg

Best 50yard group of the day although the others were not bad considering the gusty winds we had on the 100yard bay.

CIMG1122.jpg

Re: APA Sako Quad 22 Trainer Range Report

That is a very nice rig! I can not wait to get one my self.
Is the bolt stiff to operate?
Thanks,
L.

a lil at first but she works in just fine after 50 rounds or so.

Vu

Since the chamber is so tight will you do a follow up report to see what other brands it will not chamber? I'm already thinking how many hours of overtime I need to work so that I can order one. She is a BEAUTY.

I found that "match" ammo that is well lubricated, like Wolf and SK, feed and extract in my Sako trainer with very few problems. While the diameter of the round could be a problem with some ammo and never chamber or extract easily, bullet lubrication seems to help with "match" ammo.

The ammo I like best is ".22 Aguila SuperExtra". It's high velocity ammo (1,250 fps) - better for long range - and uses a 40-gr, round-nose, copper-plated bullet with a reasonably good BC. Cheeeeep! If you can find any, it comes in a red and yellow box (not the standard velocity in the blue and yellow box). Aguila doesn't use product numbers, but check Midway and try to match the name in quotes.

Aguila SuperExtra high velocity 22LR at Midway

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Imurhuckleberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since the chamber is so tight will you do a follow up report to see what other brands it will not chamber? I'm already thinking how many hours of overtime I need to work so that I can order one. She is a BEAUTY. </div></div>

Ok here we go...

Winchester T22 Target 40gn...NOPE
Any ammo you can buy at walmart in bulk on the cheap...nope.

I tried hoping I can get away on the cheap but ended going back to the range house for the SK.

Everything else I tried had a hell of a time chambering and would not extract if you got it into the chamber.

Vu

The Aguila SuperExtra extracts fine in my Sako and is inexpensive ammo. It has a coating of wax on the bullet that may help lube the chamber for extraction. Since it has copper plating on the bullet, you may have to clean the barrel every once in awhile with a copper remover. It shoots better than Wolf Match and SK high velocity in my rifle.

Range report @ 200yards.

Today Ed Eckhoff with Folsom Shooting Club put on a 22LR 200 yard prone match.

It was basically F-Class with 22LR @ 200yards. 3 strings of 20 for record with unlimited sighters on each string.
Bi Pod class
Sling Class
Sing/Irons

22 minutes to complete the string maximum.

Conditions: 85 to 90 degrees
Wind: 3 to 5 mph

Target:

The black is just a lil over 12" total.
9 Ring: 8.5"
10 Ring: 4.5"
X Ring: 1.75"

My best string of the day was a 194 4X? if I recall correctly.

Ammo was SK 40gn

CIMG1126.jpg