• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

APA Surgeon 7WSM w/Seekins WSM DBM, *Range Report*

USMCj

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 1, 2008
Nazzifornia
<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">Range report on post #5</span></span>

It feels like I started buying parts for this build a lifetime ago (less than a year, lol) but it is finaly done! APA did the barrel work, I did the paint and stock work (bedding)

A big thanks to Jered and crew over at APA for putting up with me
laugh.gif
and installing, chambering, threading, timing the barrel and machining the feed port on the action to feed from the 3.175" long Seekins WSM DBM in just 30 days from when they received the parts!!!

Also a thanks to Glen Seekins for also putting up with me and the 1000 PM's I sent him asking "Is the DBM ready?"
laugh.gif
and for letting me be one of the first people to get his WSM DBM! This ting is amazing! the mag has 3.175" of internal OAL, and it feeds 3.175" OAL 7WSM rounds with no problems! So no more need to goto a long action to feed 7WSM or 300WSM rounds with the bullets seated way the hell out there!

And last but not least, a Thanks to Ryan over at McMillan for taking care of the mods on the stock.

I had APA throat the barrel so 180 Bergers just touch the lands at 3.150" (confirmed with Hornady OAL guage, thanks guys!)

As you will see, no scope yet, USO said the end of Jan or first week of Feb due to them being out of the office (SHOT show)

Anyway, here are the build specs

Surgeon RSR WSM action w/Surgeon 20MOA Steel rail, and .354" Recoil lug
Mike Rock 28" fluted MTU contour 1/8.7 twist barrel
Timney tigger set at 1 pound (by me)
MCM A5 Desert camo stock stress free pillar bedded by me w/Brownells Steel Bed (thanks to W. Roscoe for the instructions)
Seekins WSM DBM with 3rd mag (5 rounders not yet available)
Badger Thruster Brake
Harris BRMS 6-9" bipod with lock and Pod-Claws
TPS Steel Medium 35mm rings
USO fixed railmount bubble level.
Aluma-Hyde II Coyote paint on everything (by me)

The scope is going to be a mil/mil USO SN3 3.8-22x58 with Mil-GAP ret, 35mm tube, 1/10mil EREK and red illum.

DSC04379.jpg

DSC04380.jpg

DSC04381.jpg

DSC04382.jpg

DSC04383.jpg

DSC04385.jpg

Re: APA Surgeon 7WSM w/Seekins WSM DBM...DONE!!!

Looks pretty kick ass. Let us know how she shoots!

On a side, how many .308 rounds do you think would fit in that 3 round mag? 4? 5?

I'm thinking about building a long throated 7-08 and am leaning toward a long action right now.

Thanks!

You could fit 5 in the 3 round mag I would think, you can fit 7 or more in the 5 round WSM mag when it comes out but you will have to tweak the mag lips.

EDIT: New pics with scope mounted

DSC04552.jpg

DSC04551.jpg

DSC04550.jpg

DSC04549.jpg

Yes, I'm using LA mags in my 30-06. I can fit 6 maybe 7 in the AI mags.

Adjusting the lips is easy with a tool I got from Brownells.

I would think Glens DBM would be perfect for your build. Why go long action if you dont have to.

<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">Range report/match report!</span></span>

There was a small local club match I attended today, 12 people only, I finished 6th place. My zero wasnt as solid as I thought it was, so I had to hold 1mil low and 1mil to the right the whole match. But thats my fault for not checking my zero.

Onto how the rifle shot, Its a fucking APA, how do you think it shot? It performed beyond my expectations, not a single glitch or hickup. Since this was my first match, I didnt expect to do to well, but Im pretty happy with 6th place, I scored a 296, only 2 points behind 5th place.

Anyway, here is a target from one of the stages, 100yd side prone! For those of you that dont know what side prone is, you get in the prone position, you lay your rifle on its side (port side up) on a backpack or something, and shoot. Your windage knob becomes your elevation, and your elevation becomes your windage. I got 4 shots into a .176" (center to center) group, I pulled the 5th shot cause my neck was pretty much killing me and it hit the center of the target.

100yd side prone, 90 seconds.
DSC04576.jpg

Then when the match was over, I only had enough rounds left to properly adjust my zero and shoot a 3 shot group, this group measured .426" (center to center) I know its only a 3 shot group, but I was out of ammo, so its going to have to do.

100 yards, 3 shots
DSC04573.jpg

So in conclusion, APA builds one hell of a rifle and Rock Creek makes one hell of a barrel.

Load used was
Full BR prepped Win brass (neck turned, pockets uniformed, flash hole deburred, trimmed)
162 A-Max naked
65gr RL22
215M primers
3.118" OAL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks great! </div></div>

Thanks! Hope it shoots as good as it looks! now that the rifle is all done, the wait for the scope is going to kill me!

NICE! looks a lot like mine. that means you have good taste

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NICE! looks a lot like mine. that means you have good taste </div></div>

LOL, thanks! Just wanted something other than black or OD for this build.

Very nice! I love my APA 7WSM, still going strong at 2k rounds through her now.

All that time with Glen's stuff and there are TPS rings on there!!!

Nice rig, can't wait to hear how it shoots.

Thanks guys!

smokshwn, Glen doesnt make 35mm rings high enough to clear a 58mm Ergo objective. If it were T-Pal, I could have used his highs, but I doubt it will clear the Egro on a MTU barrel.

sweet rig

if you can get out and shoot it,

i wouldnt mind some pics of the bottom metal mag and what needed to be down to your action

The rear of the feed port had to be machined back a bit, and the feed ramp had to be notched. Pretty much the same type of mods you do when you install a wyatt's extended mag box.

here are some pics of the DBM.

IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0255-1.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg

Very nice rifle, certainly a keeper.

How do you like the RSR action?

Thanks! The RSR is very nice, it is by far the nicest action with the most features in its price range.

That is one awsome rifle. i just bought a used winchester 7WSM for a project. can't wait until mine is done.

Thanks D. I feel ya on the waiting part, but its worth it in the end!

Does the mag's upward travel stop on the action or the mag. catch?

Nice, the 223 set-up stops on the mag catch. No so warm and fuzzy about it. My 308/current WSM set-up stops on the action and I love it. Looking forward to this WSM set and the 5rounders when they are ready.

I hope the 5 rounders are ready sooner than later. Its going to get annoying real fast reloading every 3 rounds, but its better than nothing right now, I bugged Glen a whole lot to get this thing to me so I could have APA finish my build.

The 308 mags hold 4 WSM's, odd that the 5 rounders are trouble.

I dont have any details as to which part of the mag Glen is having trouble with, but I have faith in him and Im sure he will get it sorted out. Small price to pay to be able to load 3.175" rounds from a mag in a SA receiver. I would have hated to go Long action for a 7WSM.

USMC,

Didn't even think about the objective size...i'm a dummy

Sweet rifle

I have a similar build that Apa is going to put together for me in the future.

Jered and Dave are great guys

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sweet rifle

I have a similar build that Apa is going to put together for me in the future.

Jered and Dave are great guys

</div></div>

They do great work and fast too! Im sure you will love it!

Looks nice. You must know the guys pretty good to get it through in 30 days.

Thanks, and not really. When I spoke to Jered he said they were pretty much on track and were trying to get builds done within 60 days. I sure was surprised when they got mine done within 30.

I'm quite suprised with that myself. Make sure to post a full range report.

As soon as my USO is done and I figure out what load this thing likes, I'll do a range report.

VERY nice! (from a fellow 7WSM shooter)

That thing is killer.......pretty much exactly what I want to put together . Very nice . When you get your scope keep us up to date on how she shoots .

Thanks guys! Since I have nothing but time (waiting for the USO) Im spending a lot of time in QuickLoad trying to figure out what powders are going to be good with it. Having a hard time deciding between H1000, H4831SC and RL22. But as soon as the scope gets here, my ass will be at the range testing out loads.

Great looking rifle! I'm look forward to the review. I am looking at another 7wsm build with the surgeon/seekins combo also. I'm leaning toward a manners att

New pics added on post #3, now I can hit the range with this thing (if I get the time to load some ammo, lol)

Don't forget to try RL-25! Start at 65 grains and work up! Very nice rifle! They do amazing work at APA!

Ed

Thanks Ed, Ill give it a try.

very nice rig, and congrats on the scope!

If a guy could have only one rifle that one would do quite nicely! I am still working on mine....Jealous.

Love the rifle!! Can't wait to hear how it shoots.

MuleHunter - I agree, Im in the process of getting ride of all my other rigs, 7mm is the only round I will be reloading for in another 6 months (I hope)

sev656s - thanks, and neither can I, lol. My kids are a handful, when time permits, Ill hit the range and report back.

USMCj - Are you going to use Norma brass? I would be very interested your load work up for the powders you try. I will have a very similar set up with the same seating depth. I know your info won't be the exact same, but its always nice to have a starting point and an approximate max load. Thanks!

I thought about it, but decided to just fully prep Win brass instead. I didnt feel like fireforming to be honest.

The brass Ill be using has been neck turned, trimmed, flash hole deburred and primer pocket uniformed. Besides weight sorting, I have done everything els to produce accurate ammo. If I cant get the accuracy Im after, Ill then consider Norma brass.

Oops, for some reason I thought that your new rifle was a 7/300 WSM. I would agree that its best to start winny brass first. By most accounts that I've read, it works greats provided that the necks are turned.

Anyway, I was under the impression that the seekins WSM DBL would only accept cartridge lengths of 3.14". If you are confirming that it accepts COALs of 3.175", then I need to rethink the dimensions of my chamber reamer before I order it.

WOW!

Good stuff Joe.....LOL I'm getting seriously f...ing jealous.
laugh.gif
If I keep my 300wsm, I WILL be getting my hands on the Seekins DBM. Thanks for sharing.

Now get your ass up here so you can shoot with Vu and his crew. They've got a sick-ass range out to a 1,000yds just outside of Sacramento. They're really a good group of guys to shoot with, but bring your shit talking boots....Hahahahaha!

-Pat

dragonjr- no problem, and the mags are 3.165" max OAL, sorry, my mistake on the measurement. Have them throat it so the berger 180s touvh the lands at 3.140" so you will have enough room to chase the lands, I had mine done at 3.150" but kinda regret it, dont have too much room left to chase the lands. But 162 A-Max's touch the lands at 3.118 so if the throat becomes too long for the bergers, Ill just switch to the A-Max's.

He_Shoot_Me- Thanks! Rebarrel that 300WSM to a 7, you wont regret it. As for the NorCal guys, I would love to come up there to shoot with them, but with the kinds and the family, its kinda hard breaking away, and I sure as hell dont want to make a family trip out of it either
wink.gif